Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-26-2018, 06:02 AM
Hotrodder

Default Service Stabilitrak message

Monday evening going home from the hanger driving down the highway I hear 3 chimes and the Service Stabilitrak message appears and the light comes on. There are no codes that my CTS or AutoCal show. I've googled this and used the search on here but haven't found much help. Most of the search results have dtc's or the Traction Control or ABS issues with the stabilitrak. Truck drives fine, I did notice when I made a right turn leaving my subdivision this morning I got the 3 chimes but no other signs of any problem. I had this happen before but it had the Traction Control messege also when the TCM failed.

I have stock size wheels with one size bigger tire that been on the truck for as long as Ive had it. Last weekend I did an engine oil and filter change and I changed the internal trans filter and installed an Allison deep pan and changed the fluid. I also changed the tune from tow to street and have just driven it normal since.

I really don't have a good shop here to take it to, both dealers service center couldn't figure out my emissions problems so I had to delete it just so I could drive it not in limp mode.

I've read of problems in the 1500's on the steering wheel sensor going bad but it thru dtc's. If I have a bad wheel sensor how do I know which one?

Any ideas? I can't be the only one that this has happened to.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab. Flo Pro 4" full delete exhaust, EGR blocked, S&B Intake, PPEI tuned.

2006 Silverado ECSB LBZ Suncoast Stage 3 w/ ML Converter Allison Deep pan, EFI Live DSP5, Castflow Manifolds, Profab up pipes with Blocker plate, Profab VVT Downpipe, Profab egr delete, MBRP 4” exhaust, Air Dog 100 with shimmed FPRV, S&B intake, Isspro Gauges, Sleeves, All Seasons centerlink brace, Rancho 9000 shocks, Sulastic Shackles, Boulder H2’s, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-17

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 AM
<that’s not me...

Not sure if it’s the same problem but my lbz had a similar issue. Abs light would come on when making sharp turns. Someone told me to hook a scanner up that will read the abs sensors while you’re driving and see if one is going haywire. May help you I’m not sure.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Hotrodder

I do not have a scanner that will read the wheel sensors so I'm gonna test them with a multimeter once life gives me a spare minute. I've been reading and watching videos when I have a spare minute and it seems that there should be a code for these going bad or the steering wheel sensor.

Since the wheel sensor uses a reluctor wheel I'm guessing the sensor is a magnet. Maybe I'll get lucky and its just some debris on one of them.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab. Flo Pro 4" full delete exhaust, EGR blocked, S&B Intake, PPEI tuned.

2006 Silverado ECSB LBZ Suncoast Stage 3 w/ ML Converter Allison Deep pan, EFI Live DSP5, Castflow Manifolds, Profab up pipes with Blocker plate, Profab VVT Downpipe, Profab egr delete, MBRP 4” exhaust, Air Dog 100 with shimmed FPRV, S&B intake, Isspro Gauges, Sleeves, All Seasons centerlink brace, Rancho 9000 shocks, Sulastic Shackles, Boulder H2’s, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-17

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

If you have the navigation screen, do the lines move with the steering wheel? When my steering wheel sensor went out those lines wouldn't move.
When it went out it was one trip of the message on a left hand 90° turn from a stop. Then a few weeks later it overreacted and did stupid stuff in the middle of a sweeping turn.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Old 06-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Hotrodder

I have the NAV screen. I'm not sure what lines you are talking about, the map display? The backup cam?

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

On the backup camera, the direction lines that move with the steering wheel.

The 2011 and 2012 may be different.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Hotrodder

I thought that was what you meant. My 2011 truck doesn't have the steering lines it's just a camera the shows what is behind me.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Hotrodder

I finally had a chance to get my truck checked for DTC's as my reader and my AutoCal didn't show any. I show a C0292 Lost Communications with Engine Control System. I do not understand why this code is showing a Service Stabilitrak message. Only other code shown in history is a glow plug code I know about...waiting to change all 8 for the fix for it.

I did change tunes right before this message came up. The changing tunes went fine as far as I can tell and there weren't any errors shown. Any ideas on what to do to correct this? Should I contact my tuner?

edit: The above meaning for the C0292 I got from here. I read the reader again and it says: VSES Combination Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi

Last edited by Trotorx2; 06-29-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Different info
Old 07-01-2018, 11:57 PM
"2 pints of booze"

Check for loose ground somewhere. Follow ecm ground. Follow abs module ground. Under hood check on firewall drivers side. Check ground on frame rail under drivers seat and an engine ground on drivers side. If all is good and clean with good contact and none loose try going back to another tune. Regardless, if its the tune contact tuner. Also check ground for license plate light rear bumper. I have documents saved for the electrical pathways in and out of all the control modules and plugs if you need them I can search for them and send them to you. You can find the bad ground or short this way also.

15.5 LML cc/sb 4wd
Zone 5"/ Fox 2.0 Resi / 4k lb rear leafs
Kryptonite UCA's/WB's/LBJ's
Cognito PISK / SB end links / Kryptonite tie rods
63.5mm 6+6 / AD 165 4g / sump by Ohio Diesel
Mishimoto hot & cold intercooler pipes / 4" CAI by me
3" MBRP downpipe / 4" ex / Magnaflow 20"
DEI heat wrapped ex / hand polished factory tip by me
Revmax Billet Triple / vb mods & T87 tuning by me
E86b Ridgerunner / EFIv2 / l25hp / 75hp / mOOnshine
Autometer pod / oil temp / boost / CTS2
Bora 1.5" / 18s / 295/70

12 yz450f
polished frame/swingarm by hand by me
GYTR head / Cycra powerflo / Flo motorsports/ Vortex bars / Ascerbis X seat / ASV shorty levers/
Bazzaz Tuning/Logging /SCAR racing / Scorcher SS header /HotCams / Twin Air
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Hotrodder

Thanks for the reply...I had given up on help from here.

I have been researching this C0292 VSES Combination Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold DTC (this info came off of the Bosch code reader I borrowed from O'Reilly) and it keeps coming up check the Yaw Rate Sensor to see if it is good or the check EBCM to see if it has the right calibration in it.

The "Lost Communications with Engine Control System" is what the C0292 shows on a code list I found here. I emailed Kory but havn't seen a reply back from him yet. The tune change went smooth.

I will look around at what grounds I can find. I haven't done any work on this truck other than I had the dash cover replaced for the cracking that GM didn't think deserved a recall last fall and like I said the truck has ran fine and still does (except for the smokey tunes) it just seems odd that after an engine oil and trans oil and filter change this happens.

I haven't found a pin readout for the yaw sensor or I would have checked it this weekend.

Edit: I looked again at the DTC list on here and it shows the "Lost Communications with Engine Control System" as being set by the EBCM not the Engine Control Module so I guess the tune change and the other maintenance I did recently didn't effect this.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi

Last edited by Trotorx2; 07-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Hotrodder

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+service+light
"Young man, I'm gonna twist off your head and spike it onto the floors of a nightmare you can't even imagine! I will dance with you inside the six-sided ring of fire, unless you move from this area, far and fast, NOW!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Motorsports View Post
That would suck getting nailed for dyed fuel ..., "But officer it's the Koolaid, call McRat!!"
Old 07-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Hotrodder

Thanks, I've seen those.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

I've gotten a p0606 which is a "lost communication with ecm" code if I hammer on it. I clear it and keep running.

How new are your batteries? Did you load test them? It's just an idea. I can see that causing an issue with a "service stabilitrak" message plus I usually get 7 years out of ACDelco batteries.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Hotrodder

My batteries aren't very old. I looked at the terminals the day the message appeared. I have a tester at work I can check them tomorrow.
I'm leaning towards it being a wiring issue maybe a dirty ground somewhere. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to find the EBCM and look at it.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Hotrodder

Update:
I looked for prints or troubleshooting for this truck online but couldn't find anything so I took the truck to a local shop to have them scan the truck. They said that the Yaw Rate Sensor was bad and ordered one. I will take it in tomorrow for them to replace it. Hopefully that is the problem.

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi