Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Jet pilot wanna-be trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
The 2004+ appears to be as easy as just buying the sensors and PDM. The 2003 software doesn't support TPMS, so you need to load a 2004 BCM program, and use a newer cluster. This is what has tripped me up: trying to find the best cluster and software for that cluster.

It is far too easy to lose steering wheel controls when switching to a newer cluster. And eBay sellers lie, so it is hard to find a cluster out of a truck with them. My best luck has been to call wrecking yards directly and get them to send me a photo of the RPO sheet.

In theory, you can flash a cluster to enable steering wheel controls. But I've bricked a couple along that learning curve. They're not as forgiving as the BCM and ECU.

Once I figure out what parts and software work best, I'll post it all up.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk
For my cluster/steering wheel issue- the cluster was from the donor motor truck and it was a fully loaded one and it had steering wheel controls as well (I have the entire column as well since I was swapping in the tap shifter).

So it appears the 2003 bcm may not support the functionality. I thought it was available on some Ď03ís?
Iíll have to figure out the button issue. My DRL stopped working after the swap as well- maybe related?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

That's what I figured. Just been a long time since I've heard of a mod for my gen truck. No big deal.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Almost Stock

So with my '06 I'll need sensors, the PDM and a friend with a TechII and that's it? Is this functionality in the 2006 OS?

LBZ Duramax/Allison.
SLE trim, Line-X.
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer RTX on PY0's
PPE Airbox Mod
Allison Deep Pan with Merchant Filter Lock
AirRide Ultimate 5000 bags
Curt 20K 5th wheel hitch
Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitatone View Post
So with my '06 I'll need sensors, the PDM and a friend with a TechII and that's it? Is this functionality in the 2006 OS?
As far as I know all the functionality is in the 2006 OS already, and if the PDM you get is used and has TPMS enabled already, you won't even need a Tech2. Just plug it in, key cycle a couple times to let everything say hi, then initiate a sensor learn with the headlight switch.

The Tech2 is for if the PDM is new, as they ship with TPMS support disabled.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2018, 01:35 PM
FNG

Iím gonna give this a go this weekend.
04 Yukon xl BCM
06 Duramax Cluster
New PDM w/TPMS. (I have tech2 to enable it)
GM OE sensors installed

My steering wheel controls all work correctly so Iíll swap in the pdm and enable tpms and see how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogyj View Post
Iím gonna give this a go this weekend.
04 Yukon xl BCM
06 Duramax Cluster
New PDM w/TPMS. (I have tech2 to enable it)
GM OE sensors installed

My steering wheel controls all work correctly so Iíll swap in the pdm and enable tpms and see how it works out.

Please do report back! And since you have a Tech2, I would love to get the technical details of the modules, especially if it shows the pressures directly on the DIC.

What I'd like to know:
  • Yukon BCM Data from Tech2
    • VIN (so I can load that programming into my BCM to test)
    • Calibration IDs (listed as 1 through 6 on Tech2)
  • Cluster data
    • Part number(s) printed on back, if any
    • Part number as read by Tech2 (sometimes different!)
    • Calibration IDs (listed as Software and Calibration on Tech2)
    • VIN of the donor, if you know it. Not that important.
  • Can you enter OverDrive LockOut (ODLO) mode by holding down the tow/haul button with the Yukon BCM?
  • Do you still get instant fuel economy on the DIC?
  • Is there an option for Door Lock Delay in the DIC menus?
    • This is the thing where you hit lock with a door open, and it chimes, then 5 seconds after you close the door it locks. I use it all the time, but some BCMs don't offer that.
I'd be more than happy to walk you thorough how to get all that info with the Tech2 if you don't feel like spelunking through the menus to find it all. PM me and I'll shoot you my phone number.

Please let us know how it all goes!

Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 PM
FNG

Sorry didn't get a chance last weekend to tackle this. Ended up picking up an m101

I'm hoping Iíll get some time this week. I haven't forgotten.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Jet pilot wanna-be trainer

Bringing this back up to see if any progress has been made.

One question I have - SRS modules - the later BCMs are looking for seat airbags and two sensors up front. I have one sensor up front and no seat airbags.

Can you program the SRS module or the BCM looking for those airbags so it recognizes the 2003 setup vice looking for an 05-06 setup?

I'd like to find a Denali or GMC BCM from 05-06 and learn it,(as much for the nav screen to show GMC vice Chevy that mine now shows).

I now have a good working 06 cluster w/DIC enabled - haven't tried to figure out if I can get the TPMs working as the truck was out of commission due to the bracket for my coolant filter breaking and causing a mess. May try this weekend to see if I can get the TPM to work properly,(unlikely w/the 03 BCM, but gonna try)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
FNG

I'm also trying to get this to work on a 2003. Have purchased a cluster and BCM from the same vehicle, 2005 Yukon Denali, that had both TPMS and Steering wheel controls. As soon as I receive them and try to install will post results. Already have the PDM w/TPM installed and OEM wheel sensors.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:11 PM
FNG

So I apologize for not following up sooner.
I have the original 04 Yukon XL BCM with my 06 Duramax Cluster and both my Yukon and the donor duramax have/had steering wheel controls for the DIC. I installed a PDM from an 06 Escalade with TPM.
I have not installed the wheel sensors as of yet. But currently I see the blank spots in the DIC for FR, FL, RR, RL. And obviously since the sensors are not installed I get the warning at startup ďSERVICE TIRE MONITORĒ. Thankfully I donít get the warning light on the cluster, just the warning message. I have not had a need yet to break down the wheels/tires nor have I wanted to pay for mount/dismount quite yet.

once I get a chance to get those sensors installed (i.e. find an excuse for new tires), then I hope to be up and running.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
So I apologize for not following up sooner.
I have the original 04 Yukon XL BCM with my 06 Duramax Cluster and both my Yukon and the donor duramax have/had steering wheel controls for the DIC. I installed a PDM from an 06 Escalade with TPM.
I have not installed the wheel sensors as of yet. But currently I see the blank spots in the DIC for FR, FL, RR, RL.
That's excellent news. I do wonder if the pressure display comes from the cluster or the BCM? If you ever get access to a Tech2, I'd love for you to post up all the hardware and calibration IDs from the cluster, BCM, and PDM. My TPMS works but doesn't display pressures on my 2006 Denali cluster with a 2004 LB7 BCM.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:05 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
My TPMS works but doesn't display pressures on my 2006 Denali cluster with a 2004 LB7 BCM.

Did your 04 LB7 have steering wheel controls?
I remember reading somewhere that the full steering wheel controls for the DIC were needed from the vehicle that the BCM came from in order to display individual pressures. Otherwise, I think the indicator light on the cluster is the only thing to work if a tire looses pressure.

And I also found that reprogramming the BCM has about a 50/50 chance of working and reprogramming the clusters almost never succeed. This is not from personal experience but from what Iíve read of others posts.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Did your 04 LB7 have steering wheel controls?
I remember reading somewhere that the full steering wheel controls for the DIC were needed from the vehicle that the BCM came from in order to display individual pressures. Otherwise, I think the indicator light on the cluster is the only thing to work if a tire looses pressure.

And I also found that reprogramming the BCM has about a 50/50 chance of working and reprogramming the clusters almost never succeed. This is not from personal experience but from what Iíve read of others posts.
I have a 2003 with factory steering wheel controls. I reprogrammed the BCM to a 2004 and put in a 2006 Denali cluster. The Denali cluster may be the source of my issues, as it was weird even before I reprogrammed the BCM. The other stuff works (Trip A, Trip B, Avg. Econ, etc.), but no instant MPG and no individual pressures. I have a 2005 dash from a truck without steering wheel controls, and I'm going to try and reprogram it to one with them and see what happens.

Edit: what button do you press to view the tire pressures? The road button, fuel button, or menu button?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:18 PM
FNG

I installed cluster and BCM from 05 Denali and PDM from 05 Silverado that has the w/TPS on it nothing. I don't have the sensors in the wheels but was hoping the DIC would show each tire with 0 PSI.
I didn't learn the BCM to my truck don't know if that has something to do with it or not.
Going to purchase a Tech 2 and give it another shot.