Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 AM
Hotrodder

That is exactly why I left my last 2 jobs and finally went out on my own. It is no fun at all managing people you have no say in hiring or firing. Just couldn't get it across the guys I supervised that work is work and to be productive. Didn't help they were all older than me and didn't take me serious. At least working for myself if I don't like someone's work I can kick them down the road and not just have to deal with them because the big boss likes them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Beans Sump
Leveled w/ drop shackles
RidgeRunner Tunes
More to come

Rip zf6 swapped lly
Old 05-23-2018, 04:20 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
I’m 22 and I’m one of the rare breeds that busts my ass every day for absolutely no appreciation at all. And it’s disheartning. I’ve been at this job a month now and I’ve already kept the frames running better than they have in a while. Saturday I had a doffer completely apart to change a cam follower that was bent and a shaft it snapped and had it back together and running by 3 AND changed an elevator motor. Does anyone notice? No. Instead I get why are these other doffers not running? You’re not doing your job. I guess I have 8 arms and can be at three places at once? Makes you want to slack off when everyone else is and they don’t get fussed at but you do. Can’t win for losing I swear. Anyways sorry. That’s my nightly rant.

You will find in any line of work that there are a few people who "get things done" around the building and the rest of the employees figure out who they are so they then dont have to do those jobs. Me and another driver were having that exact conversation last week.

As to my millenials comment, we go thru part timers like water. The majority of younger people we're getting in dont want to work, let alone work hard.
Sure, there are exceptions , like the new young lady who's loading my truck (I hope she stays, b/c she actually gives a rip).
But we've had two loaders just up and walk out during a shift over the past two weeks. We even had a group of loaders decide to be NCNS one day.
Sure, there are people my age who dont work hard either, so Im not just picking on young people. Its a "pride in your job" thing for the most part.
But we also have certain drivers that always seem to need "help" no matter what. I get tired of them and wonder why they still work here.
You send in your "finished work" message to the center, and the PM manager sends back, "So-and-so needs help". Always the same people. I finally got tired of it and told her that I will tell her when I want to help, not the other way around.
We also have certain split drivers who, no matter what route they are on, have a rep for doing a lot less work than others. For some reason, Im always getting these people in my loop....hmmm....wonder why that is?

I wish I could retire.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:25 AM
Making chips or sparks

I was talking to a guy not long ago and he was trying to hire some good help and he told me something that is so true. He said "you know what I've found, everyone who wants to work already has a job".
1993 GMC Sonoma 4WD V6 D.D.
Jesus Is The Only Way!
2002 RC/LB LB7~~Sold~~

Old 05-23-2018, 05:54 AM
NOT IN OREGON

Don't even get me started on lazy ass workers, i've got a huge project I'm heading out at one of the Amazon DC's here, I have 2 full time guys helping along with some part time UTI kids, the UTI kids work harder than the older guys but none of them can seem to stay off their ****ing phones. I have been putting in 15 hour days just to get caught up with two huge corporate companies watching it closely, one being Amazon, we cant slack off or screw up. Good help is hard to find
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Back in the Motherland

I always crack up when I see the millennial's are lazy comments

There are lazy people in every generation and always will be, but I will certainly admit my generation is more DISTRACTED than any other generation, namely because of cell phones and social media. Its a blessing and a curse to have 99% of the worlds knowledge at the tip of your fingers.

Unfortunately being distracted=less work being done.

2008 CC/SB LMM SLT
EFI by Idaho Rob | 5in Straight Pipe | Isspro Ev2 Gauges | Titan 52gal Fuel Tank | Banks Intake/Filter | DJM 3in Drop Shackles | PCV Reroute | Custom Power Steering Cooler

1983 c10/Cummins Conversion - On Hold

"I think we missed the turn..." - Somewhere in Baja
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM
Back in the Motherland

On a side note, I decided to jump ship to another company so today is my last day at this gig

2008 CC/SB LMM SLT
EFI by Idaho Rob | 5in Straight Pipe | Isspro Ev2 Gauges | Titan 52gal Fuel Tank | Banks Intake/Filter | DJM 3in Drop Shackles | PCV Reroute | Custom Power Steering Cooler

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Hotrodder

I agree every generation has plenty of issues with lazy people and cell phone use. I have a couple late 40s and early 50s-year-old guys that I canít keep off their cell phones. Our company just implemented a policy that employees are no longer to carry their cell phones during working hours unless they have a company phone. Iím not going to enforce it until I have to. Itís going to end up costing us more money in the long run. I donít have time to run all over jobsites and talk to people individually. When I can call them on their cell phone or send them pictures of what I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Heavy & Slow

Cell phones are a mixed bag. I'm writing this on my phone, at work, in a meeting. But it is a largely useless meeting that I only have 2-5 minutes of input on that runs for 2 hours. So... not really hurting productivity, just maintaining my sanity. Looking around, 9 of the 21 people here are on their phones, probably for the same reason as me. Most are 40+ years old. Why do we have a 2 hour meeting with 21+ people every week? That's the real question...

But I also know when to put the phone down and get $#1+ done. Phones are a double edged sword. It lets you communicate quicker and can get work done quicker, but if abused, less gets done. Comes down to employee work ethic. And I don't see a correlation between age and work ethic. Lazy people and hard workers in every generation. We are lucky enough to have a lot of productive people here.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilrob View Post
On a side note, I decided to jump ship to another company so today is my last day at this gig
I can't remember - you sell insurance or some shit? Still be doing the same at the new place? Just chasing the dollar or other perks to the new gig?

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 05-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Back in the Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
I can't remember - you sell insurance or some shit? Still be doing the same at the new place? Just chasing the dollar or other perks to the new gig?
Financial Planning/Wealth Management, but insurance was a piece of it. I handled the investments book, so never had to sell anything. I am leaving because the owner of the firm I am at now is slowly running it into the ground, and there will be much more career progression opportunity at the new company.

The department I will be in at the new job only deals with institutional investors and I will be in a research/analyst position. They primarily work with Alternative Investments. It will be a good opportunity to explore a very niche sector of financial markets which is cool to me!

2008 CC/SB LMM SLT

Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 AM
Always learning

Lol donít get me started on the phone issue or the sense a entitlement everyone seems to have!
How many people do you see in this pic just standing there lol
But like Iím told by my dad aka boss
We have to find our ďcoreĒ employees and remember that when SHTF again we will keep them busy whether itís pulling weeds or hanging 100k building
All I can say is find a good company that treats you like a human and not a number and stick with them through their short comings... we all have them
This glut of wealth and work canít last much longer!
People not willing to work yet turn around and buy 60-70k trucks 250-450k houses?
I canít even fathom how they are making monthly payments and eating a decent meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Credit...

I here people talk all the time about transferring debit from card to another. Idiots, credit is for suckers, cash is king again...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Making chips or sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

Lol donít get me started on the phone issue or the sense a entitlement everyone seems to have!
How many people do you see in this pic just standing there lol
But like Iím told by my dad aka boss
We have to find our ďcoreĒ employees and remember that when SHTF again we will keep them busy whether itís pulling weeds or hanging 100k building
All I can say is find a good company that treats you like a human and not a number and stick with them through their short comings... we all have them
This glut of wealth and work canít last much longer!
People not willing to work yet turn around and buy 60-70k trucks 250-450k houses?
I canít even fathom how they are making monthly payments and eating a decent meal

This is a trick question isn't it? I see most of them standing around but one of them is on their iphone taking the picture
1993 GMC Sonoma 4WD V6 D.D.
Jesus Is The Only Way!
2002 RC/LB LB7~~Sold~~

Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
Credit...

I here people talk all the time about transferring debit from card to another. Idiots, credit is for suckers, cash is king again...

Thatís your opinion.
I get cashback on all my credit cards so I charge everything. I havenít carried a balance over to the next month on my credit card in 15 years.

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Thatís your opinion.
I get cashback on all my credit cards so I charge everything. I havenít carried a balance over to the next month on my credit card in 15 years.

Thatís the thing though
You have to have credit but use it wisely
Double edged sword...
Lol well Itís kinda a trick question
2 of them are my superiors and 1 is the guy we are doing the job for
I was walking back from the bathroom and it was funny how as soon as I stepped away everyone just kinda stopped

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig