Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Hotrodder

I would think that closer to the back so when going up hill when you need the fuel more you will have it. if it is up front then all the fuel can run to the back during acceleration or going up hill potentially starving the engine. That is of course only when it is low

I think most put it near the middle though

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstien View Post
got some warmer weather, cp3 isn't leaking at the moment.

I picked up one of the new design beans sumps with a return built in, got a custom bracket made for the derale cooler, I think I may actually have time on Thursday to install it all, I have been searching and searching for actual pictures, where are you guys installing these sumps? some say right under the sending unit, but Im going to end up drilling into it, do you modify the bottom? some put it forward and some put it towards the back, anyone have some pics ?
5 months of off and on working on that problem and you got it ! Thank you very much for letting us know what you found ! I am sure it will help many of us out ! I just put a 5/8 draw stick on mine when the fass started popping fuses because the inlet of the sending unit was restricted , but I see that would not prevent the problem that you found , I will keep that in mind ! Thanks again !!!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
5 months of off and on working on that problem and you got it ! Thank you very much for letting us know what you found ! I am sure it will help many of us out ! I just put a 5/8 draw stick on mine when the fass started popping fuses because the inlet of the sending unit was restricted , but I see that would not prevent the problem that you found , I will keep that in mind ! Thanks again !!!
we will see if its 100% fixed after Thursday, but again today, no fuel on motor so i have that going for me. Been super busy last few months, I try to keep up on my threads if i post a problem, its very frustrating to search a forum, find your EXACT problem, then find the person never came back and said what it was
5'' exhuast
Fass 150
Built Trans w/SC1058
Bumpers built by me
Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
we will see if its 100% fixed after Thursday, but again today, no fuel on motor so i have that going for me. Been super busy last few months, I try to keep up on my threads if i post a problem, its very frustrating to search a forum, find your EXACT problem, then find the person never came back and said what it was
I guess we also need to thank S&S for reminding us of the weep hole that starts to seep fuel when there is a restriction in the return system of the cp3 .
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Hotrodder

Alright, had a busy weekend, but got it all finished up at about 1:30am last night.

I used a Derale 15850 cooler, made a bracket to hold it in the stock location, It hangs a little lower hangs a little lower than I like, but due to how tall the AN fitting is on the inlet from engine side, that's where its at, I may try to trace down some different fittings and pick it up a bit.

I installed a beans sump to bypass the factory stuff all together. I Got the Beans sump with a return built in. I took the 4 bed bolts on the driver side off and loosened the passenger side and tipped the bed up so i could remove the factory sending unit to have a better idea for placement of the sump as i did not want the sending unit to sit on it or to cut through the sending unit.

I ended up with the sump being approx 2-3'' towards the back of the tank from the sending unit self, the sending unit does not sit directly under the hole. I'm glad I took the sending unit out, after i drilled the hole in the tank for the sump, there was a bunch of shavings in the tank, further than your hand can reach to pull them out through the hole.

I used a 3/8 quick connect by 8AN male adapter at the engine and straight to 1/2 hose straight to the cooler via 90 degree 8AN to 1/2'' push lock, out of the cooler with a 45 degree *an to 1/2'' push lock, runs over he top of the tank then down the channel where the rear fuel tank strap is, to the return of the Beans sump.

Holy hell were the push lock fittings that came with the sump a pain in the ass to get the hose. No leaks so far, and the valley is still dry. Only real thing different is now i am pulling down the lift pump pressure when I am on the throttle, which it wasn't doing as much previously
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooler.jpg (199.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg cooler1.jpg (166.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg cooler2.jpg (173.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg cooler4.jpg (171.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cooler3.jpg (185.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg cooler5.jpg (154.6 KB, 24 views)
5'' exhuast
Fass 150
Built Trans w/SC1058
Bumpers built by me
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Alright, had a busy weekend, but got it all finished up at about 1:30am last night.

I used a Derale 15850 cooler, made a bracket to hold it in the stock location, It hangs a little lower hangs a little lower than I like, but due to how tall the AN fitting is on the inlet from engine side, that's where its at, I may try to trace down some different fittings and pick it up a bit.

I installed a beans sump to bypass the factory stuff all together. I Got the Beans sump with a return built in. I took the 4 bed bolts on the driver side off and loosened the passenger side and tipped the bed up so i could remove the factory sending unit to have a better idea for placement of the sump as i did not want the sending unit to sit on it or to cut through the sending unit.

I ended up with the sump being approx 2-3'' towards the back of the tank from the sending unit self, the sending unit does not sit directly under the hole. I'm glad I took the sending unit out, after i drilled the hole in the tank for the sump, there was a bunch of shavings in the tank, further than your hand can reach to pull them out through the hole.

I used a 3/8 quick connect by 8AN male adapter at the engine and straight to 1/2 hose straight to the cooler via 90 degree 8AN to 1/2'' push lock, out of the cooler with a 45 degree *an to 1/2'' push lock, runs over he top of the tank then down the channel where the rear fuel tank strap is, to the return of the Beans sump.

Holy hell were the push lock fittings that came with the sump a pain in the ass to get the hose. No leaks so far, and the valley is still dry. Only real thing different is now i am pulling down the lift pump pressure when I am on the throttle, which it wasn't doing as much previously
It is probably pulling down a little now because you do not have that restricted return with your nice new cool fuel system ! GOOD JOB !
Old 02-10-2019, 05:15 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

Turn it up a little bit...

You added volume to the feed side with the new larger lines...
2010 GMC 1500 RCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's/ Kooks / Magnaflow / 5.3 / 6l80E / TVS1900 @ 14#'s / BTR Top End / Boosted Bump Stick / Trunion upgrade / 90mm / 10% over / 2.8 griptec / 105 lb ID's / Mayhem built/tuned.

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Hotrodder

my feed side has been the 1/2'' rubber since i initially replaced the cp3, this round i only worked with the return lines.

I am waiting to turn it up, i would like to be 100% its not going to leak again, it pulls down to about 5-6psi from 9
5'' exhuast
Fass 150
Built Trans w/SC1058
Bumpers built by me
Old 02-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Hotrodder

If you are still at positive pressure to the cp3 and your actual rail pressure is good I wouldn't worry about it

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Hotrodder

well been about 2 months now, cp3 is still not leaking, roads have been dry for a while, it pulls down to about 3-4 under a very hard pull, haven't had time to swap back in the other cp3, hopefully soon.
5'' exhuast
Fass 150
Built Trans w/SC1058
Bumpers built by me