Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Standing Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunz111 View Post
So I have a question for you smart people. I just saw that merchant just released the line pressure mod that you put on the end of the solenoid to max out the line pressure. I have heard of doing this for the lmls and they said in the discription you can do it for the L5P also. Does this do the same thing as a tcm tune or does a tcm tune do more then just max out line pressure?
Same as TCM Tune...

'04 GMC LLY

*Build Back In Progress*
505K Miles

'05 GMC LLY
LML Hybrid, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
Fuel Coming soon.
300K Miles

'17 GMC L5P
Peach Habanero Spicy Tuna

Big thanks to Mike L., Ira, James, Nate, Jon, Steve, Nick.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 PM
Gearhead

Soooo then why do people spend the money on getting the tcm unlocked, buying the shit ton of credits, and for the tcm tune when you can buy a 50 dollar part, drop a pan that has a reusable gasket and some tranny fluid?
Old 12-29-2018, 11:44 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunz111 View Post
Soooo then why do people spend the money on getting the tcm unlocked, buying the shit ton of credits, and for the tcm tune when you can buy a 50 dollar part, drop a pan that has a reusable gasket and some tranny fluid?
Some people want an altered shift strategy, not just a pressure mod. Depends on what you're looking for. Like why pay the $5-10k to tune a L5P when you can buy a used Corvette that'll be faster than a tune-only L5P? If you have to ask, it's not the product you're looking for. I don't personally see the value proposition there, yet they sell plenty.

What makes sense for one person and situation doesn't always make sense for every person and situation.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default L5P Tuning

Thereís more too it than just a shift strategy when you buy a trans tune. This is why mike has said he doesnít like building trans for people with tcm tunes as he doesnít know whatís in there that may cause issues. If one is just changing shift points then maybe thatís acceptable I dunno what his thoughts are on that. This is the only changes Iíve ever made to any of my trucks to avoid other issues. Doing this and a dummy solenoid are the best choices imo.