Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 PM
FNG

Took the truck on its maiden voyage, down to savannah and back. Little over a 400 mile round trip. Got the ac working before we left, I had to jump out the low pressure switch to get the Freon to take.

Only had a little hiccup on the way back, stopped at a gas station to re fuel (getting around 15 mpg right now) and went to start the truck up and it lost its prime.

Not sure if itís related or not but cruising around 70-75 every 15-20 minutes the truck would make a noise, nothing crazy but definitely noticeable. Sounded similar to the noise bigger tires make on the interstate. Or like a sport bike was coming up from a ways back. Maybe something with the cp3? A little concerned about it.

Got a new clock spring coming in the mail this week, gonna get to the bottom of the 4wd issue as well. New tires and fix the hydroboost and I think Iíll be set.

Iíll post more pics of the truck when I get a chance, first diesel truck and Iím hooked. This thing rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM
FNG

More dumb questions.... could this roaring noise come from the fan? It comes on intermittently cruising the same speed. Not sure how these fans work.

Thinking about doing a lift pump, worried on why the truck lost its prime when I stopped for gas. Any suggestions? Iíll be doing some more research before I pull the trigger on a kit. Donít plan on pushing any crazy HP or anything just want something to help with longevity. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 PM
pro-procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.watts1340 View Post
More dumb questions.... could this roaring noise come from the fan? It comes on intermittently cruising the same speed. Not sure how these fans work.

Thinking about doing a lift pump, worried on why the truck lost its prime when I stopped for gas. Any suggestions? Iíll be doing some more research before I pull the trigger on a kit. Donít plan on pushing any crazy HP or anything just want something to help with longevity. Thanks!

Yes the fan will come and go as needed. Itís a thermal clutch and does itís own thing as heat related.

Lift pump is a great idea. Just check your filter head and maybe rebuild it if it needs it. Generally a leak will show up if you push air into the filler neck

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM
FNG

After a few hours of research I think Iím gonna go with an AirDog 2 100gph pump. Itís overwhelming how many threads there are on the subjects of lift pumps....

Can anyone else notice their engine fan engaging? I didnít imagine it would be as loud as it is, I did put a new fan blade on though.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM
pro-procrastinator

Quote:
After a few hours of research I think Iím gonna go with an AirDog 2 100gph pump. Itís overwhelming how many threads there are on the subjects of lift pumps....

Can anyone else notice their engine fan engaging? I didnít imagine it would be as loud as it is, I did put a new fan blade on though.

Yes they are loud when engaged.

Full lockup at high rpm sounds like a train is about to run you over

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Wound for sound

Quote:

Fans are real loud, but so is the power steering pump when the fluid is boiling, check the harness for the four wheel drive going to the actuator, might have got mashed by the motor, if not actuator is prolly junk or transfer sensor is out, the fan clutch shouldnít come on unless your towing heavy or it has a lower temp Hayden clutch.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Filter head probably has a leak, very common, that's where I'd start with loosing prime. They are cheap to rebuild...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM
<thatís not me...

Kennedy pumps all the way man silent and easy to install.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000