Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
Yeah i basically tried to follow the stock layout. But to date still can't tell ya which direction factory fluid flowed..

Does it flow from bypass tube thru turbo to that upper rad hose with thermostat, or does it flow out of that inline thermostat and get sucked back to waterpump??

We used a freeze plug for a Saab I believe. Would have just welded off that bypass port but bridge was already powder coated..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
when the bypass is open on the factory setup, water just circulates the block. Nothing makes it through the turbo. basically, the pump is drawing water through the bypass to then feed back to the oil cooler. Now im not real sure when the turbo thermostat opens but when it does, the water pump can draw or push water through the turbo depending on normal thermostat operation as the turbo is fed off a little nipple from the bypass tube.

now that i think about it, running my heater hoses like i did really didnt do much for bypassing and if i put a freeze plug in the bypass, its going to cause issues as the water wont have anywhere to go in the block. hmmmm guess ill be changing that!

EDIT: yup, im gunna need to swap heat hoses so that one end attaches to the upper rad hose and the other feeds off the factory port to the side of the thermostats. then block off the lower rad hose line that use to go to the heater core. that should keep water flowing through the rad even when the bypass is blocked. my reasonings are different than yours though. im trying to keep some water flowing through the radiator when thermostats are closed to keep the trans heat exchanger cooler for the long grade braking i do. apparently 315+psi line pressure and grade braking at 4k rpm likes to get things hot lol
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4

Last edited by Chevy1925; 09-21-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Hotrodder

I'm not sure but 130 something degrees comes to mind for the turbo thermostat. Maybe 132*

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

The resivoir on 2000hp cats isn't really that big, the raw water pumps are more important, volume of flow will need to be determined to keep them in optimal range. Are you going electric or parisitic off engines?
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900, lots of boost, Mayhem tuned, etc... <<<<Broken Under Construction : BTR boost cam, sodium valves, titanium springs, 15% overdriven balancer, 80lb squirters>>>>

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Piston Tester

Angle of this thermostat port tends to lean towards flowing from rad side to engine doesn't it? No temp rating on outside.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:00 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
Angle of this thermostat port tends to lean towards flowing from rad side to engine doesn't it? No temp rating on outside.

The more i think on it, the more i think so. It will flow from the upper rad hose, to turbo, back to bypass tube at all times regardless of thermostat position.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Piston Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
The resivoir on 2000hp cats isn't really that big, the raw water pumps are more important, volume of flow will need to be determined to keep them in optimal range. Are you going electric or parisitic off engines?
The sewater pumps are thru hull fed 20AN 1-1/2 inlets. Then splits into a 1.5 and a 1.25 outlet. The 1.5 feeds charge cooler and then main heat exchanger. So that supply should be about 95gpm at 3800R.

The 1.25 feeds 40gpm into oil, transmission, and drive coolers then exit to exhaust manifolds.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Piston Tester

This one shouldn't slow things down much. But I will check in/out temps on water side at wide open to calculate efficiency of the main cooler and electric engine circ pump configuration.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

How are you drawing in raw water?
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900, lots of boost, Mayhem tuned, etc... <<<<Broken Under Construction : BTR boost cam, sodium valves, titanium springs, 15% overdriven balancer, 80lb squirters>>>>

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Piston Tester

Pickup in transom, with adjustable height. Then a pressure relief valve in the sea strainer. So inlet hose to pump is pressurized at speed.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

The factory coolant path to the turbo works pretty screwy. The turbo only gets cooling after the bypass has fully closed at 212 degrees, and the turbo stat is designed to hold the turbo coolant around 225 degrees iirc. If you look at the system, it actually pulls coolant from the upper radiator hose back through the turbo t-stat, turbo, and then back to the bypass tube. Once the t-stat bypass closes, the water pump creates a vacuum on the bypass to do this. When the stats are closed you get a tiny amount of coolant flow through the turbo and back out the upper radiator hose, but it isn't but an air bleed flowing it.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Piston Tester

Thanks for that breakdown. I knew the design sucked, but now we know it's literal..

If I recall, they didn't add that thermostat to the top hose till LBZ? So just guessing, but maybe GM is trying to bring turbo temps up to stop the VNT blades from sticking. Obviously some reason they wanted it running hotter, and ya don't hear much about gummed up turbos after the LLY.

I'll try and shoot some temps off those cooling lines once both thermostats are opened, and see if it's still flowing good. Since I stacked my adapter plate under the factory thermostat housing, I have room to hog out the flow area a bit. My only concern is once the back thermostat opens, it might stop the flow through the turbo lines. I can always dump it directly into the reservoir tank, once I iron out the size and placement.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

They all got it at least through the lmm. But it's a really screwy design how it flows one way when the stats are not fully open and the bypass is flowing, then reverses flow once the bypass closes.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Piston Tester

Time to play name that sensor.

I first attempted to tap an oil Galley plug but didn't work out.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Hotrodder

Looks like a liquid (coolant) temperature sensor to me

Using it to monitor oil temps?

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 09-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Piston Tester

Hint..

It's oem Dmax, has an oring seal, but scaling is not same as ect sensor. So to match ecm tables I chose the factory unit. I've yet to find another sensor with same resistance values and tapered thread. Had to do a little recess in the oil filter housing.