Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Hotrodder

That's great and grand that you happy with Schaefer's. That doesn't mean it's a good oil for everyone and that there marketing isn't misleading. The fact is the Duramax is a very low wearing engine and it doesn't necessarily benefit from expensive oils. I have had good UOAs from delo400 with 16k on it. I have even better UOAs from Delvac1300, but don't do extended drain intervals any longer due to my truck not being my DD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
That's great and grand that you happy with Schaefer's. That doesn't mean it's a good oil for everyone and that there marketing isn't misleading. The fact is the Duramax is a very low wearing engine and it doesn't necessarily benefit from expensive oils. I have had good UOAs from delo400 with 16k on it. I have even better UOAs from Delvac1300, but don't do extended drain intervals any longer due to my truck not being my DD.

What do you consider expensive? Where I am, Rotella is $17.43 after tax for a 5 gal bucket. UOA suggest change at 8000-9200 depending on driving conditions. Schaeffer costs me $19.85, and I don’t have to change as frequently. 15000-19000 depending on conditions. Expensive I guess is like beauty....It’s in the eye of the beholder.
The Cummins is a low wear engine. CAT C-15 as well. But they benefit from Schaeffer. Google the Dyno reports. 3.5-5.2% increase in fuel economy and 1-3% increase in HP. Same truck. Same dyno. Different oil.
bobistheoilguy.com has some very good info on oil as well.

Last edited by bowhunterwalker; 01-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Hotrodder

Where the hell are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 PM
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post
Where the hell are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lmao really though where is he. Iím gonna go there and ship home pallets of oil and resell it at that price

"Vern" 2002 Reg can (with a cap) 300,000 original miles. Lowered, tuned, sold to some jackass who blew it up instantly.

"Vendetta" Nobody knows but she gonna eat

You cant put a price on fun
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 PM
FNG

And FYI, the reason head and shoulders works is because of itís zinc and chlorine content. Everyone knows zinc is a key ingredient in engine oil as an anti wear additive.
Pyrithione Zinc and Zinc carbonate
Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride & Sodium Chloride
Antifreeze also has chlorine in it, as well as boron (am E.P. additive in some oils), but you donít want that in you block either. Kind of dumb example on the machine.
Anyone remember prolong? How about the lawsuit? One very active ingredient-Chlorine. Chlorine reacts with metal and heat to form a friction barrier, which is also harmful and corrosive to the engine.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muff View Post
Lmao really though where is he. Iím gonna go there and ship home pallets of oil and resell it at that price
Colorado. And I misspoke. $17.66/gal after tax
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA6E28AB-B10D-487D-A392-3F7AE17E6E89.jpg (62.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Hotrodder

I wait for sales $12-13gal or $55 for 5gal for Delvac. Gains like that of milage and power are hardly quantifiable. I've been a long time member at bobs.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
I wait for sales $12-13gal or $55 for 5gal for Delvac. Gains like that of milage and power are hardly quantifiable. I've been a long time member at bobs.

I agree that a small gain like that is not quantifiable most of the time, but that depends on the mileage you drive and the conditions. I have lots of stop and go, long idle times, and 40k+ miles per year. So that mileage adds up, as does the money back in less oil purchasing. The other reason is that I have 344k on all original internals. Iíve seen the tear downs, one in person at a mine, and can appreciate what they exemplify. If a C-16 can be torn down and Re-use the cam and crank, I have to pay attention.

Their are other good products out their too, donít get me wrong. I love using Lucas Engine Stop Leak in my leaky tractor diff. Half a bottle 2 times a year and it save me 14 hours of $8 seal repair on a bad OEM design.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterwalker View Post
I agree that a small gain like that is not quantifiable most of the time, but that depends on the mileage you drive and the conditions. I have lots of stop and go, long idle times, and 40k+ miles per year. So that mileage adds up, as does the money back in less oil purchasing. The other reason is that I have 344k on all original internals. Iíve seen the tear downs, one in person at a mine, and can appreciate what they exemplify. If a C-16 can be torn down and Re-use the cam and crank, I have to pay attention.

Their are other good products out their too, donít get me wrong. I love using Lucas Engine Stop Leak in my leaky tractor diff. Half a bottle 2 times a year and it save me 14 hours of $8 seal repair on a bad OEM design.
My Duramax was torn down to build at 310k miles after a glow plug went through the #1 cylinder, and it was in fantastic shape. Well, except for the glow plug

I reused the crank, oil pump, push rods, etc. Basically kept all the original parts that didn't get in the way of my performance goals. I technically could have kept the stock bore, as it was within service limits, but I went .020" over since I needed pistons anyway for my goals.

I have always used Delo 400 because it is cheap, and from what I saw, it was wearing great. I also did UOAs and changed at 10k-12k miles on the cheap Delo. (This was their CJ-4, their CK-4 is a different story.)

Last edited by DAVe3283; 01-26-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Hotrodder

Look people spent there money how ever they want and I'm not questioning that. I'm just stating my point of view and 20 years experience in the excavation field. Spending more money then what a good quality Dino oil like Delo400 cost never benefited us. On my big jobs we burn 4000gal of fuel a day to give you idea of scale.

Like Dave I used Delo400 when my truck was my daily driver. After 30k+ a year at 15k change change intervals for 170K I upgraded my turbo. My old one was in perfect shape with zero extra end play. It was a shame to toss it in the spare parts pile.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Hotrodder

Lol, an oldy but a goodie, its too bad it dont work like that in a real engine.