Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
care to elaborate
I think he's saying the exhaust will be reinforced to keep turbine parts inside the pipe, not flailing about the boat where they can injure people.

Putting the throttle blades (air shutoff) as close to the Y-bridge as possible maximizes the chance it will still be able to shut down the engine if something grenades. If you put an air shutoff before the turbo, and blow a cold side pipe, you can't stop a runaway.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

I've seen a couple funny buttons for fire systems and fuel shut offs. Best were "Hmm" for fuel shut off and "Oh Shit" for Halon system, both on the same Betram... Lol...

I just had a panel made for a Seavee that has Fish Whistle and Low Beer Alarm... Haha...
2010 GMC 1500 RCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's/ Kooks / Magnaflow / 5.3 / 6l80E / TVS1900 @ 14#'s / BTR Top End / Boosted Bump Stick / Trunion upgrade / 90mm / 10% over / 2.8 griptec / 105 lb ID's / Mayhem built/tuned.

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Piston Tester

The exhaust is all water jacked so if you blow a fuel or oil line, there is no ignition heat source. Goal is no surfaces over 250F.

Now at this power level that's kinda hard to guarantee. We logged turbo cold side discharge at over 500F on the dyno. So ya do your best with what ya have.

The throttle blade as close to heads as possible is as Dave listed a Positive Air Shutoff. Most likely any non outside gas supplied runaway situation is gonna be fed by an oil feed line going to a turbo. So a guillotine or air knife setup won't work if you knock a hole in the pipes between and intake and turbo. Basically what happened to Mark when the charger wheel exploded. Got an oil/fuel supply, got air, she don't care a bit if ya cut the power or the lift pumps.

In a boat you have engines setting in a bathtub basically. So filling that area with Co2 or other inert gas displaces the oxygen. Besides fire suppression it will also kill a runaway. If ya notice in Mark's video, after he did that "graceful" exit, they spent another 30 seconds trying to kill that dragon. But it kept self feeding and reignited multiple times. These engines each have over 20qrts of oil and 300 gallons of fuel onboard. Ya get one shot to kill it quick, or may as well just jump overboard..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Piston Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
I've seen a couple funny buttons for fire systems and fuel shut offs. Best were "Hmm" for fuel shut off and "Oh Shit" for Halon system, both on the same Betram... Lol...

I just had a panel made for a Seavee that has Fish Whistle and Low Beer Alarm... Haha...
Since this one is going to Australia, thinking maybe go with "Oh Crikey!"
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Piston Tester

The Dance Floor is coming together nicely...

Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Piston Tester

Also picked up 10 gallons of engine oil today. Takes about 18quarts per engine.

Rural King had best deal if anyone is looking for full synthetic. $120 for 5 gallon vs $37 a gallon average everywhere else.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Check online for mail in rebates on mobil 1 from RK. I got $8 back on each gallon I bought last year iirc.

Last edited by THEFERMANATOR; 05-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Piston Tester

Thanks I'm filling it out now.
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...-1-rebate-2019

Didn't see the ESP or Delvac listed here, but I'll let ya know. Does include full synthetic transmission fluid which I need a few gallons of also.