Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 AM
FNG

Default LBZ turbo rebuild

Im looking to rebuild the stock turbo on my lbz. I have been trying to get a hold of yellowchevy to see if he is still rebuilding turboís. No response from him yet. Does anyone know if he still rebuilds turboís and how to get a hold of him?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Wound for sound

Last I heard he’s very busy, and the turbo thing is side work, not sure if he’s working on them or not still.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Hotrodder

I believe I heard he isnít doing them anymore but I donít know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Hotrodder

Have you thought about just buying a VGT rebuild kit from Mark @ Danville and doing it yourself?

Link: http://www.danvilleperformance.com/v...g-rebuild-kit/
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Last I knew, he stopped doing rebuilds.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 PM
FNG

Yes I’m thinking of rebuild the turb myself with a 10 blade turbine, 6x6 compressor wheel, and port and polish the exhaust housing. Has anyone rebuilt their turbo with these upgraded components? Is port and polish worth the time in doing it. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Hotrodder

I think many decided to just buy one from Danville already done.
Efi Live, FASS 150, Custom Exhaust, Bunch of Gauges, Tahoe Headlights, Custom Stereo,National Air Seats, Flat bed, Profab Y Bridge, ARP Studs, 12x12x2 Oil cooler, BAT Sandwich adapter, 12x12x2 trans cooler, Oil Pressure/Temp Gauges, Belly mount Onan 5500w Generator. LDS 30% Overs.

28FT Intech Car trailer

@stibuider
Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Hotrodder

I rebuilt my turbo with a ten blade turbine and billet compressor in my LLY. For the money I spent rebuilding it myself it wasn't really worth it. I should have just gotten an upgraded turbo. I was happy with the turbo afterwards and it wasn't hard to rebuild but I know a better turbo would have put a lot bigger smile on my face. From what I understand the 6.0 10 blade won't fit a LBZ.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by krduramax View Post
Yes Iím thinking of rebuild the turb myself with a 10 blade turbine, 6x6 compressor wheel, and port and polish the exhaust housing. Has anyone rebuilt their turbo with these upgraded components? Is port and polish worth the time in doing it. Any advise would be appreciated.
At that point just buy a smaller upgraded turbo from Danville. That will get you the result you're after and probably be approximately the same cost.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 PM
FNG

It looks like rebuilding the turbo is not a hard thing to do. And the rebuild kit with upgraded compressor wheel is about a third of the cost to buy a new turbo. So I still don’t understand why more people aren’t rebuilding their turbo’s. What am I missing?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by krduramax View Post
It looks like rebuilding the turbo is not a hard thing to do. And the rebuild kit with upgraded compressor wheel is about a third of the cost to buy a new turbo. So I still donít understand why more people arenít rebuilding their turboís. What am I missing?

If youíre just doing a stock rebuild itís cheap or buying some cheap parts and slapping them in without balancing it, cost will be a lot cheaper, but cheaper doesnít last as long. Just depends on what youíre after.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:24 AM
FNG

I was not planning on putting in cheap parts. Upgraded 360 degree copper thrust bearing rebuild kit, 6x6 billet compressor wheel, 10 blade turbine (exhaust housing modified for LBZ). If Danville or any others do more on their reman turboís it would be good to know. If they put more into their reman turboís that make them run better then I will go that route and by a turbo from Danville. Whatís your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Gearhead

I rebuilt my turbo, very mild port/polish with a Batmowheel for a fraction of the cost of a replacement unit. For my application it has been great and I have had zero issues even after 150,000 miles.
2006 Express 1 Ton Ext Dmax van. EFILive, Hella headlamps, Edge Insight CTS, TDK Bumper, TCI deep pan, B&M Super Cooler, Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back - BYE BYE Kitty and ruffler, Synthetic front to back. Custom air intake with AEM dry filter, Kennedy lift pump, EGR cooler/valve delete.

Chad @ Alligator Performance
Jeremy @ Throttle Down Kustoms
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM
FNG

Has anyone used turbo parts from SP Turboost Co.? Wondering if they sale quality rebuild parts for my LBZ turbo rebuild.