Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
I keep reading threads all the time here and elsewhere about failures like this. Why dont these aftermarket turbos last very long?
Because there not Garrett's...

Cheap price = Cheap charger...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
Because there not Garrett's...

Cheap price = Cheap charger...
"Who makes them" really doesnt matter, and just serves to inflame, which is NOT what I was getting at. You'd think larger aftermarket chargers wouldnt be working as hard to make the power they do, as compared to pushing a stock charger outside its map to make power.... so you'd think they'd last....but they dont. Why?
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM
<-----Lots of green $

Quote:
"Who makes them" really doesnt matter, and just serves to inflame, which is NOT what I was getting at. You'd think larger aftermarket chargers wouldnt be working as hard to make the power they do, as compared to pushing a stock charger outside its map to make power.... so you'd think they'd last....but they dont. Why?
X2 i agree Tom i dont have a lot of miles on my CHEAP turbos (5000) but all is good for now.I dont care what turbo you buy the seal shouldnt go bad in 2000 miles,there was something probably not perfect with the seal or something that let it fail at an early stage.The only early failuers i see is when a non gated turbo is run and it takes out the seal and/or the bering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with the excessive heat, I bet thy would last longer of they were water cooled as well as oil cooled, is what I was trying to get at...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Vendor

If they're anything like the IHI or Garret's they're pretty simple. If you're at all thinking of rebuilding it yourself I'd go for it. Just take pictures as you go and mark where the intake wheel/nut is.
If it has no shaft play then it's probably just the seals, one right behind the back compressor plate and one right in front of the turbine wheel.

If you don't won't to mess with it that's a good price midwest has for a rebuild, they're good to work with too.

I don't think it's the fact that they're just oil cooled; look at semi turbos, they're only oil cooled and they go for 500k - 1million miles. We've have many semi's with lots of miles and none of them have every had a turbo failure.

Yellowchevy
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
<-----Lots of green $

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowchevy View Post
If they're anything like the IHI or Garret's they're pretty simple. If you're at all thinking of rebuilding it yourself I'd go for it. Just take pictures as you go and mark where the intake wheel/nut is.
If it has no shaft play then it's probably just the seals, one right behind the back compressor plate and one right in front of the turbine wheel.

If you don't won't to mess with it that's a good price midwest has for a rebuild, they're good to work with too.

I don't think it's the fact that they're just oil cooled; look at semi turbos, they're only oil cooled and they go for 500k - 1million miles. We've have many semi's with lots of miles and none of them have every had a turbo failure.

Yellowchevy
And it could be ported while its out

Quote:
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
Quote:

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
<< my work

you do not want to do a non gated turbo in compounds unless you intend on plumbing in an external gate. turbos are not hard to rebuild at all. if you have the coin i would do the billet wheel also.

1016. 10-15-11
7.13@100
11.27@105
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Hotrodder

that sucks man!
ive rebuilt a few powerstroke turbos as well as did my buddies cummins turbo.
pretty straight forward once you get in there

2008 F350 6.4L
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Team DMAX

I appreciate all your input guys. I will most likely rebuild it and move on. For those wondering, there was minimal shaft play which is the only thing I could be optimistic about. Do you think the heat wore it out when it was on my truck as a single? It's only served duty with the s480 for a year barely. My EGTs are waaaaay lower than they used to be.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Team DMAX

I very well may have this puppy turned into an s366 while its out
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Team DMAX

Oh and I have a BD turbo timer on my truck as well so no hot shut downs on that puppy either.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Goin' Broke!

For what it's worth...

I'd rebuild your 64mm, and sell it just in case there is something else wrong. Then get an s366 with a billet wheel.

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB

some mods...

Need LB7 Injectors? Check these prices out!
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
"Quality Parts and Service at an Unbeatable Price"

Or call us... 920-361-7700

Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 D_Max View Post
For what it's worth...

I'd rebuild your 64mm, and sell it just in case there is something else wrong. Then get an s366 with a billet wheel.
Why, so someone else can get stuck with a problem?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM
This won't last long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUSHLB7 View Post
I very well may have this puppy turned into an s366 while its out
I have also heard good things if you are using it in a twin setup like you are, to go down to a 62mm on the compressor side, and a little clipping on the turbine. Cam Hulse from adrenaline said they did it on a truck and the spool up was much faster, and drive pressure was decreased as well. Just some food for thought.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
<-----Lots of green $

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdewey View Post
I have also heard good things if you are using it in a twin setup like you are, to go down to a 62mm on the compressor side, and a little clipping on the turbine. Cam Hulse from adrenaline said they did it on a truck and the spool up was much faster, and drive pressure was decreased as well. Just some food for thought.
Its all a trade off id rather have a VERY slightly lag on the lower and have it like a freight train on the big end.Your only limited by how much you can feed the valley charger my vote is to go larger.

Quote:
Quote: