Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Hotrodder

If you delete the factory head you need to add a way to bleed the air out of the system. I think with the filters back close to the tank its easy to trap air in the tops of the filter head. I have had to crack the filters with the pump running to get the air out. A simple valve coming out of one of the plugs in the filter head will solve this, just need to get it done.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Keep Calm and Chive On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
Good plan.

I'm pretty motivated on this, its time for a fresh fuel filter. The stocker is $60 - $100 CAN and the CAT 749 is $22

I change them pretty regular (6000 - 7000 miles) so the sooner the better.
As big as that 749 is, you could probably run it a lot longer than that. Heck, the equipment it goes on probably uses 50-100gal a day during long hard work. Over a couple of months, that's a ton of miles you could put on a dmax before the filter even comes close to being restricted.

But I understand, its the same reason most people change synthetic oil early, just feels better!

delivered via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!

2017 Ford F250 (I know I know...)
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
If you delete the factory head you need to add a way to bleed the air out of the system. I think with the filters back close to the tank its easy to trap air in the tops of the filter head. I have had to crack the filters with the pump running to get the air out. A simple valve coming out of one of the plugs in the filter head will solve this, just need to get it done.
If you have a lift pump, you can bleed the filters at the fuel test port-- at the alternator , passenger side. The fitting has a black cap, turn on the pump, and press the schrader valve, then replace the cap.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM
<<<< No Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
If you have a lift pump, you can bleed the filters at the fuel test port-- at the alternator , passenger side. The fitting has a black cap, turn on the pump, and press the schrader valve, then replace the cap.
If you have a liftpump, you don't need to bleed anything.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
Yes, I know about this valve. However I don't have very good access to it, as my Twin Turbo piping runs across the valve. I also don't have the Gm fitting that snaps on to it, therefore when you bleed it there, it leaks all over the right front of the engine.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by x MadMAX DIESEL View Post
If you have a liftpump, you don't need to bleed anything.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
For whatever reason with these very large Cat filters you do need to bleed them out. I think eventually the cp3 would pass the air but there is alot of filter to fill.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 AM
<-----Lots of green $

Very nice set up i would like to do this to eliminate the stock filter,Shouldnt be hard to plumb in some sort of valve at the engine filter housing for bleed off after it is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Hotrodder

It's not hard. I just need to make time to do it. I pretty much decided Im waiting until I change the filters again before I mess with it.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Still slow

Is the filter seal diameter on the separator pretty close to that of the 750?

Right now I'm running a 750 before my lift pump but I would like to add a separator and put the 750 after the pump.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Hotrodder

maybe i missed it but do you have the part number for the bases??
Old 12-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Hotrodder

195-1068 $41.69
Old 12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Hotrodder

nice
thanks!!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM
<-----Lots of green $

Thanks for all the great info gonna build 1 of these with a friend of mine for his truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce418 View Post
Is the filter seal diameter on the separator pretty close to that of the 750?

Right now I'm running a 750 before my lift pump but I would like to add a separator and put the 750 after the pump.
Seperator is much larger that is why I used the same filter head for both filters. The 3 micron filter goes on the larger base no problem. Not sure if you could go the other way or not.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
nice
thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk smoke lb7 View Post
Thanks for all the great info gonna build 1 of these with a friend of mine for his truck
Any time guys!