Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
pro-procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Okay. Thank you

No problem. It's been a day or two since I've done one, but going from memory all rooms are the same.

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 06-30-2015, 01:10 AM
FNG

Default Torque? What torque?

I picked up my pump through the local GMC dealer as my friend is the parts manager. He used to be a line mechanic and I was talking to him about the job and mentioned the big toque number. He said, "Oh, you just spot torque the balancer bolt." I asked, "What the hell is spot torquing??!" He said, "You use a 3/4" breaker bar, 2' cheater pipe and you pull on it until you see spots." The look on his face was dead serious. That had me worried. Vinny, how did you arrange the #2 given the #11? That looks like snow in the background.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Hotrodder

Anyone ever break a balancer bolt?

I've broken bigger bolts with the above method. I'm careful with important bolts haha.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless
Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Hotrodder

Anyone heard from Vinny?!?! I sure hope he's doing ok. I miss him posting - a wealth of knowledge on many subjects.

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Daggum farm truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Anyone heard from Vinny?!?! I sure hope he's doing ok. I miss him posting - a wealth of knowledge on many subjects.
I was just thinking that yesterday when this thread was bumped. As I recall, he was having some serious health problems.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Hotrodder

yeah I knew he was going through it with the lymphoma. Just hope he's in remission and doing well. Best I recall, he was a newly wed and everything. Just hate what he's going/gone through as a young man. Hoping for the best.

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 08-30-2015, 08:40 PM
DMaxed

How are you guys swinging the coolant bypass pipe out of the way with that little hose on it that's behind the big pulley that the fan clutch attaches to? I'm not able to move it enough to get to the bolt behind it.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Hotrodder

Get a swivel socket

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Puller:2003 LB7 GMC
Toy:1973 Kenworth W923
Farm:02,11,13 Duramax/Allisons
Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Hotrodder

Well I dove into this ordeal Saturday, not awful but definitely not a lot of fun either. Shoutout to the guys at Danville, they had an LLY pump in stock and got it shipped out the same day I ordered it. Very nice job on the pins, and dimpled the end of the pin hole in gear and impeller so there is really no way that pin is coming out. My mostly stock truck likely wouldn't ever have an issue anyway, but I like the added security, this is essentially failsafe.

One thing I would also consider, if you are replacing the pump and the housing, get a new set of studs for the oil cooler flange. I didn't realize they were needed and despite my best efforts soaking the stud with PB, I sheared the head trying to get it out.

It's a pretty easy to find part, standard M8 on both sides, but still sucks to go hunting in the middle of the job.

Few things I came to realize last weekend while doing this:

Change the rubber hose from the bypass pipe to the turbo. It's 4" of 3/8" rubber hose, just do it.

BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH THE O-RING ON THE BYPASS PIPE INTO THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

Pressure test the whole thing before you put it all back together and find water running out of your bypass pipe. See above.

Don't even attempt that crank bolt with a 1/2" breaker bar, I don't care who made it. Amazon has 3/4" bars for under $40 rated near 1,000 ft/lbs, get one. Or pull the radiator/IC and hit it with an impact.

Use an air chisel on the clutch fan. IMO we should now just call this "the way it's done", all the typical universal tools I found are useless for this application. Air chisel had it spinning off in a couple seconds.

You're going to make a big ass mess, there is just no way around it. I decided to replace the upper and lower hose while I was in there and was wearing a gallon of coolant before the day was over. Keep an old mop and 5 gallon bucket handy. Everytime you turn around this thing dumps more coolant, especially when you finally pull the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160131_101811.jpg (107.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 11:52 AM
May the farce be with you

Nicely written!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Freedom Diesel

If you do work on trucks regularly, I'd suggest not using the air chisel method and instead buying a fan clutch kit like what gearwrench offers. It's cheap on amazon and will make working on dodges and fords a lot easier as well. Also, I have never had great luck with the replacement upper oring for the bypass, so I always use one from my assorted kit, thicker and more durable.
Thank you.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Ecodiesel
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddski88 View Post
If you do work on trucks regularly, I'd suggest not using the air chisel method and instead buying a fan clutch kit like what gearwrench offers. It's cheap on amazon and will make working on dodges and fords a lot easier as well. Also, I have never had great luck with the replacement upper oring for the bypass, so I always use one from my assorted kit, thicker and more durable.
I can see that, in my case this was the first time in almost 10 years the fan had been off.

What is this assorted kit you speak of? I was just using the pack of O-Rings that came with the pump. Or do you mean just a generic assortment of O-Rings and find one that's bigger than the supplied piece?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
FNG

Nice write-up subd for when I need to do this
Old 10-01-2016, 03:10 PM
11SIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW544 View Post
Nice write-up subd for when I need to do this
Thanks for letting us know!