Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 AM
FNG

Default Looking for tips on buying first Duramax.

Hey Guys, I am about to purchase my first diesel truck in the next week or two and am looking for some tips on what to look for. I have seen a few videos on looking for blow-by, and hazing at starting up thats about it... I want the newer 2007+ body style and worry too much about the CP4 issues so have decided to stick with LMM models around the 100k-120k mile range. Would I be smart to stay away from trucks that were used to pull their whole life and trucks that have already been deleted, leveled/lifted and larger tires? I plan to delete and to have tuned shortly after purchasing. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Know Nothing

Best advise I think possible find one that’s been owned by a grandpa it’s whole life. Bone stock. It’s gonna take longer than 2 weeks to find though!

Current ride : 2007 CC/SB LBZ Sierra SLT
Mods are as follows:
Tuned and dyno’d by Mark Broviak at Danville Perf.

4” Wehrli Custom Fab intake
3” Wehrli Custom Fab hot and cold side CAC pipes
Wehrli Custom Fab LB7 pass up pipe
Wehrli Custom Fab 3”down pipe
MBRP 5” Straight exhaust
PPE Race Fuel Rail Plug
Airdog II 4G 165GPH
Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 AM
FNG

Thanks, I have been looking for quite a while, just was wondering what the general thoughts on buying a truck that was already deleted/tuned/leveled/bigger tires/5th wheel, etc. especially when from a dealer who has no knowledge of what was done to the truck. I'm having a very hard time finding a stock truck... I am willing to fly out to purchase the truck so have been looking everywhere within a 8hr drive to Nashville, TN. Unfortunately this means i have been limited to dealer pics and not seeing in person.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 AM
lots to learn...

As close to stock as you can find..

2008 LMM
tune - exhaust

2006 (sold)
2005 (sold)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Know Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz71 View Post
Thanks, I have been looking for quite a while, just was wondering what the general thoughts on buying a truck that was already deleted/tuned/leveled/bigger tires/5th wheel, etc. especially when from a dealer who has no knowledge of what was done to the truck. I'm having a very hard time finding a stock truck... I am willing to fly out to purchase the truck so have been looking everywhere within a 8hr drive to Nashville, TN. Unfortunately this means i have been limited to dealer pics and not seeing in person.
I get it man! I was dead set on having an LBZ. Most horsepower with least amount of emissions components. Mileage was a factor but it had low priority. What I was unwilling to budge on was it being stock. I found an 07 LBZ with 130k on it. An older gentleman from Ohio owned mine. Dealership services. All filters were ACDelco. Stock tires and wheels. I gave him an offer after the test drive. Couldn’t even try and hard ball him. He knew what he had and knew that motors desire and rarity. But by lord I couldn’t be happier with it. They are out there. It will take a few to find it but don’t settle. Nothing sucks more than buyers remorse.

Current ride : 2007 CC/SB LBZ Sierra SLT
Mods are as follows:
Tuned and dyno’d by Mark Broviak at Danville Perf.

4” Wehrli Custom Fab intake
3” Wehrli Custom Fab hot and cold side CAC pipes
Wehrli Custom Fab LB7 pass up pipe
Wehrli Custom Fab 3”down pipe
MBRP 5” Straight exhaust
PPE Race Fuel Rail Plug
Airdog II 4G 165GPH
Old 08-29-2019, 12:07 PM
FNG

Well I ended buying a 2007 LMM with 85k miles on it. Appears to be completely stock other than a B&W turnover ball.
What would you guys recommend for EGR/DPF delete kits, lift pump, PCV?
I would def want a kit that completely removes the egr cooler and a new up pipe. Is the Y Bridge upgrade necessary?
Should I plan on doing a PCV reroute?
Thanks again for the advice and answering my thousand questions. I've searched the forums but seems to be a lot of argument on this brand vs that brand...
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM
FNG

Your off road race truck will not need a y bridge, just stick with a reputable brant for the cold side pipe, profab, wcfab, deviant, sdp, hsp all make pretty good stuff and for price of mind profab makes a strap to hold in the stock elbow. For PCV reroute, just grab it with the cold side pipe from one of the guys listed above. For a lift pump, I like the air dog, but the next guy might like Fast or Fuel lab, just get a quality kit.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Hotrodder

After deleting the EGR/DPF, you need to tune your truck.