Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post

If your truck already has a B&W then you have the option of getting their companion hitch in a slider which really is the cat's pajamas.
OP has already stated he has no desire to spend big money on a hitch. I paid $900 (maybe it was a grand, I can't remember) for my 20k companion slider used off of FB MP, and felt like I got a good deal. He may not view things the same way?

But I do run the B&W turnover ball with their companion slider and it is very nice set-up. The down side is the companion is heavy. I do not know the exact weight of the hitch but I'd be willing to bet it's north of 250#.

Once you start bumping up against the capacities of your truck, you begin to analyze everything you have, that is adding weight. On my new set up, my last scale ticket I was over on the truck a fair bit (but still under on the tires).

The actual pin weight between my last rig and my new one are pretty close. But the old rig I converted to gooseneck, so no companion in the bed of the truck.

New rig doesn't have the beefy AlKan pin box that the old one does, geometry is a bit different, I do not view it as a suitable candidate for a gooseneck conversion.

So I'm heavy, I run AirLift 5000 bags (always have) and will be adding a Helwig "Big Wig" sway bar, like the big truck camper guys run.

As has been said, a mid to large size fifth wheel is going to push the truck past it's GVWR. Just stay within what your tires have been rated for, you should be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trip home bristol wis_2.jpg (64.5 KB, 29 views)

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison / Exergy Sportsman CP3 / WCFab "Y" Bridge with cold air bundle / WCFab 3" downpipe / LB7 up pipe / 4" Flo Pro exhaust / FASS 150 / Sump / AirLift 5000 bags with WirelessOne on board air / B&W Turnover ball / AMP Research power steps.

Last edited by 036.6turbo; 08-07-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Know Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimox View Post
It looks like you have the 2007 classic. Mine is an 2004 and I will bet dollars to pennies if you look on the drivers side door it will say 9200 GVWR. That is total on the truck. I would not worry so much about total GVW of the trailer but more on the tongue weight on the truck. There are 3 numbers you need to look for, Rear axle weight, GVW (truck) and GCVW (truck + trailer).

My truck weighs 7000# with just me and the stereo (2- 12" in box and two amps add up). GVWR on truck listed 9200#. However listed tow rating for my truck is 13500#. So GCVWR for truck and trailer are 22700#.

MY trailer tongue weight "DRY" is 2050#. That will put me at 9050#, now add the wife and the dog hitch and whatever else gets added in the truck I will be over on the truck. GTW (gross trailer weight) for the trailer "DRY" is 10700# + 3323# of cargo capacity to come up with MGTW (max gross trailer weight) 14023#. Lets just say I have 9400 on the truck as long as I keep the trailer weight to 13300 I will still be under GCVW listed for my truck.

I would not suggest this to anyone and it should not be done . With a 5th wheel on a 3/4 ton you will overload truck's "listed" GVW before you have a problem overloading the trailer. You can be pulled over and checked YES, will it happen? If you get in a wreck will it be a problem YES. Overload at your on risk.
Mine weighs in at 7500 with me and nothing extra other than a bed tool box with a little in it. Nothing stupid, little extra oil, coolant, and ATF just as a precaution. Couple tools a jack and my tri ball and drop hitch. Im not an oompa lumpa. Scale screams when I step on but the needle finally settles down at 255!

Current ride : 2007 CC/SB LBZ Sierra SLT
Mods are as follows:
Tuned and dynod by Mark Broviak at Danville Perf.

4 Wehrli Custom Fab intake
3 Wehrli Custom Fab hot and cold side CAC pipes
Wehrli Custom Fab LB7 pass up pipe
Wehrli Custom Fab 3down pipe
MBRP 5 Straight exhaust
PPE Race Fuel Rail Plug
Airdog II 4G 165GPH
Old 08-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Know Nothing

I think for ease of sanity, money, weight, and ability to install and uninstall Im gonna go with the Andersen Ultimate. Dealer Im buying the camper off of is throwing it in for free and installing it at pickup. Cant wait to see how it handles. The camper is used, but new to me! Absolutely immaculate on the inside. Got an awesome deal on it. Brand new mattress freshly resealed roof, slide seals, doors and windows. This thing seriously looks like its been garage kept. Ill post pics once I get it home!

Current ride : 2007 CC/SB LBZ Sierra SLT
Mods are as follows:
Tuned and dynod by Mark Broviak at Danville Perf.

4 Wehrli Custom Fab intake
3 Wehrli Custom Fab hot and cold side CAC pipes
Wehrli Custom Fab LB7 pass up pipe
Wehrli Custom Fab 3down pipe
MBRP 5 Straight exhaust
PPE Race Fuel Rail Plug
Airdog II 4G 165GPH

Last edited by LB7 Lover 1994; 08-08-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Hotrodder

Can’t wait!
Rare parts steering w/DHD brace, egr delete, pcv re-route, BD lift pump, duramaxtuner perfect tow tune.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
OP has already stated he has no desire to spend big money on a hitch. I paid $900 (maybe it was a grand, I can't remember) for my 20k companion slider used off of FB MP, and felt like I got a good deal. He may not view things the same way?

But I do run the B&W turnover ball with their companion slider and it is very nice set-up. The down side is the companion is heavy. I do not know the exact weight of the hitch but I'd be willing to bet it's north of 250#.

Once you start bumping up against the capacities of your truck, you begin to analyze everything you have, that is adding weight. On my new set up, my last scale ticket I was over on the truck a fair bit (but still under on the tires).

The actual pin weight between my last rig and my new one are pretty close. But the old rig I converted to gooseneck, so no companion in the bed of the truck.

New rig doesn't have the beefy AlKan pin box that the old one does, geometry is a bit different, I do not view it as a suitable candidate for a gooseneck conversion.

So I'm heavy, I run AirLift 5000 bags (always have) and will be adding a Helwig "Big Wig" sway bar, like the big truck camper guys run.

As has been said, a mid to large size fifth wheel is going to push the truck past it's GVWR. Just stay within what your tires have been rated for, you should be fine.

When I drove from central WI to Denver, Colorado and back for Diesel Power Challenge 2019 we scaled in at 23,880lb in a 2002 LB7 with my gooseneck, my LLY, 4 guys, tools, oil etc. The truck didn't squat much and honestly handled the load well. We were overloaded to 7200lb on the rear axle (GM claims 6200lb, AAM claims 10,120lb) but under on the tires which were rated for 7500lb. That was 2200 total miles towing at that weight through some nasty hills etc all in 85f+ weather.

Stay under what the tires are rated for on a SRW and you'll be fine IMO. The trailer should have brakes built to stop is weight. Drive smart and don't tailgate etc.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap