Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Boatracer69r Boatracer69r is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8
Default Head Gasket or Injector tube seal replacement

I also posted this on the repair forum, but I wanted to post it in the Northwest section too, since this is where I live (South Eastern Washington)
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello everyone, I have a 02 GMC Duramax with roughly 175k miles. Last year my truck was blowing smoke so bad that I got pulled over and given a warning by the police. I took my truck to a shop and had the injectors replaced with Bosch injectors. About a week after getting the injectors replaced I was driving to Seattle, WA (I live in eastern Washington) about 3.5 hours from my house pulling a fairly small trailer. About 1 hour on road my low coolant light came on. This has never happened before, so I pulled into Walmart and bought a couple of jugs of antifreeze. I topped it back off and got about 5 miles down the road and the light came on again. I decided to just watch the gauge to see if it was getting hot, but the temp never changed. After that I kept driving it, the temp never got warm, so I would just top it off every once in a while. Now back in April I was driving a heaver trailer back from California and it started smoking really bad. I pulled over there was water in the oil. At that point I just had my truck towed back home where is has sat since then.

My question is, and Iím sure Iíll get 10 different responses, but is it a head gasket replacement or is the injector tube seals that let go? Iíve called around and to replace the head gaskets is going to cost roughly 5k, while everyone said resealing the injector tube is significantly less. I asked the shop about this and they said they use the actual tools to remove all that stuff when replacing the injectors, not just a crowbar and a 2x4. My questions are thisÖ..do I need to replace the head gaskets or just a reseal on the injector tubes? My other question is, are there any mechanics in Iíll say the Northwest (Washington, Oregon, Idaho) that could do this job right and not bend me over at $5k to fix it. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to get all the information in to limit the amount of questions.

Yes, unfortunately that is a dodge that had to pull me home. I love my truck to death and just want her fixed so I can drive her again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160404_192834.jpg (68.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM
IOWA LLY's Avatar
IOWA LLY IOWA LLY is offline
Yes, its really me
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,262
Default

Since it happened shortly after the injector job it's more then likely the injector cups. Which is a lot cheaper and easier then head gaskets.

Unfortunately, there is no sure fire way that I know of to differentiate between injector cups, or head gaskets. So if you opt to just do injector cups and it ends up being the head gaskets your out even more money in the end......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
2003 GMC CCSB LLY
Built by me, tuned by me.

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 PM
DAVe3283's Avatar
DAVe3283 DAVe3283 is offline
Heavy & Slow



 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 2,774

Default

If you have a good shop you can trust, you can have them do the cups, then before they reassemble the engine, pressure test the cooling system. If it passes, it was the cups. If it still leaks, then it is a head gasket, and you're halfway there, so it should save some money.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2016, 08:09 AM
IOWA LLY's Avatar
IOWA LLY IOWA LLY is offline
Yes, its really me
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,262
Default

Dave, have you had much luck finding blown headgaskets with a pressure test? I haven't. All the ones I've diagnosed wouldn't leak pressure off while sitting. But would purge air and coolant out the tank from combustion pressure pushing past the headgaskets. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
2003 GMC CCSB LLY
Built by me, tuned by me.

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2016, 08:19 AM
catman3126's Avatar
catman3126 catman3126 is offline
Ehhh?.... You don't say?
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Oregon
Posts: 2,611

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatracer69r View Post
I also posted this on the repair forum, but I wanted to post it in the Northwest section too, since this is where I live (South Eastern Washington)
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello everyone, I have a 02 GMC Duramax with roughly 175k miles. Last year my truck was blowing smoke so bad that I got pulled over and given a warning by the police. I took my truck to a shop and had the injectors replaced with Bosch injectors. About a week after getting the injectors replaced I was driving to Seattle, WA (I live in eastern Washington) about 3.5 hours from my house pulling a fairly small trailer. About 1 hour on road my low coolant light came on. This has never happened before, so I pulled into Walmart and bought a couple of jugs of antifreeze. I topped it back off and got about 5 miles down the road and the light came on again. I decided to just watch the gauge to see if it was getting hot, but the temp never changed. After that I kept driving it, the temp never got warm, so I would just top it off every once in a while. Now back in April I was driving a heaver trailer back from California and it started smoking really bad. I pulled over there was water in the oil. At that point I just had my truck towed back home where is has sat since then.

My question is, and Iím sure Iíll get 10 different responses, but is it a head gasket replacement or is the injector tube seals that let go? Iíve called around and to replace the head gaskets is going to cost roughly 5k, while everyone said resealing the injector tube is significantly less. I asked the shop about this and they said they use the actual tools to remove all that stuff when replacing the injectors, not just a crowbar and a 2x4. My questions are thisÖ..do I need to replace the head gaskets or just a reseal on the injector tubes? My other question is, are there any mechanics in Iíll say the Northwest (Washington, Oregon, Idaho) that could do this job right and not bend me over at $5k to fix it. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to get all the information in to limit the amount of questions.

Yes, unfortunately that is a dodge that had to pull me home. I love my truck to death and just want her fixed so I can drive her again.
What town do you live in? close to tri cities maybe? I'm donw in Hermiston Oregon and work on a lot of duramax's in the area if you need some help getting this repaired correctly. hit me up if I can help.
__________________
2005 2500HD dmax, CCSB, 4" exhaust, Built motor with Carillo's .020 over 16:5.1 piston with .075 reliefs, Socal 6480 alt fire cam, ported LBZ head's, Exergy 10MM pump Stock lly cp3 on the belt, 400% LBZ injectors, S471/87 compounded with a GT5541R 106MM Fleece billet charger Werhli fab S400 install kit with bridge and piping, Merchant Auto Billet push tubes, Socal Valve springs, Socal valve covers, Socal flex plate, Mishimoto black intercooler, DSP5, Air dog 165,

1986 K10 short bed LQ4/4L80E

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L



2015 LTZ Z71 LML, CCLB 3500HD.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Burn Down's Avatar
Burn Down Burn Down is online now
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 6,400

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
Dave, have you had much luck finding blown headgaskets with a pressure test? I haven't. All the ones I've diagnosed wouldn't leak pressure off while sitting. But would purge air and coolant out the tank from combustion pressure pushing past the headgaskets. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
This is what I have seen as well... My head gaskets split at the fire ring on 2 and 6 in the 7-8 o'clock position. It has been super intermittent for pushing coolant and having a hard hose for sometime. Passed the pressure test no problem.

Op, did the shop that did the injectors pull the cups and reseal them? Warranty maybe?
__________________
04.5í CCSB ole blue, built trans, mpi twins
03í Reg Cab ZF 6
05í CCSB ole crappy, built eng, built trans, mpi twins
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:14 AM
DAVe3283's Avatar
DAVe3283 DAVe3283 is offline
Heavy & Slow



 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 2,774

Default

I've (luckily) never blown a head gasket, so I can't speak from experience. I suppose you could pressurize the coolant as-is and see if it leaks down. If so, check the cups and re-check leakdown. If cups fixed the leak, that was probably the problem. If not, probably head gaskets.

I'd talk to the shop that did the injectors since this started shortly after injectors. I think that cups are more likely than a head gasket given the timing; also LB7s aren't known to blow head gaskets with stock tuning (not that they can't, just doesn't seem to happen much).

I do all my labor myself, so I can't really recommend a good shop. If it was me, I would pull the injectors and see if any of the cups are loose. If not, removing the heads isn't actually that much more work, IMO. And I should know, I've swapped out heads twice now, and about to do it again (appears I got another cracked head).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Boatracer69r Boatracer69r is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post
What town do you live in? close to tri cities maybe? I'm donw in Hermiston Oregon and work on a lot of duramax's in the area if you need some help getting this repaired correctly. hit me up if I can help.
I live in Pasco, I'll pm you. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM
catman3126's Avatar
catman3126 catman3126 is offline
Ehhh?.... You don't say?
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Oregon
Posts: 2,611

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatracer69r View Post
I live in Pasco, I'll pm you. Thank you!

Right on. I get a lot of customer out of tri cities. 541-263-0311 call or text also.
__________________
2005 2500HD dmax, CCSB, 4" exhaust, Built motor with Carillo's .020 over 16:5.1 piston with .075 reliefs, Socal 6480 alt fire cam, ported LBZ head's, Exergy 10MM pump Stock lly cp3 on the belt, 400% LBZ injectors, S471/87 compounded with a GT5541R 106MM Fleece billet charger Werhli fab S400 install kit with bridge and piping, Merchant Auto Billet push tubes, Socal Valve springs, Socal valve covers, Socal flex plate, Mishimoto black intercooler, DSP5, Air dog 165,

1986 K10 short bed LQ4/4L80E

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L



2015 LTZ Z71 LML, CCLB 3500HD.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Boatracer69r Boatracer69r is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Thank you for everyone's help and advise. I'm going to talk to the the shop that did my injectors and see if they will at least recheck the tubes. If not then maybe I can find a shop to check those first before tearing it down to head gaskets. I'm gas engine smart, but a diesel idiot which I hate.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM
catman3126's Avatar
catman3126 catman3126 is offline
Ehhh?.... You don't say?
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Oregon
Posts: 2,611

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
I've (luckily) never blown a head gasket, so I can't speak from experience. I suppose you could pressurize the coolant as-is and see if it leaks down. If so, check the cups and re-check leakdown. If cups fixed the leak, that was probably the problem. If not, probably head gaskets.

I'd talk to the shop that did the injectors since this started shortly after injectors. I think that cups are more likely than a head gasket given the timing; also LB7s aren't known to blow head gaskets with stock tuning (not that they can't, just doesn't seem to happen much).

I do all my labor myself, so I can't really recommend a good shop. If it was me, I would pull the injectors and see if any of the cups are loose. If not, removing the heads isn't actually that much more work, IMO. And I should know, I've swapped out heads twice now, and about to do it again (appears I got another cracked head).

A good way to tell if it is the cups is to take all the glow plugs out, pressure up the cooling system and leave it for several hours and then crank it over and see if any coolant comes out. even at that it could still be the head gasket too. I did 3 sets of LB7 head gaskets last summer and all were blown on one cylinder on both sides. all three of these and one LLY in the last year I was able to fire it up with the cap off and watch down in the coolant tank and after a minute or two the level began to rise and then burped out a big pocket of gas and then went down and started to rise again.
__________________
2005 2500HD dmax, CCSB, 4" exhaust, Built motor with Carillo's .020 over 16:5.1 piston with .075 reliefs, Socal 6480 alt fire cam, ported LBZ head's, Exergy 10MM pump Stock lly cp3 on the belt, 400% LBZ injectors, S471/87 compounded with a GT5541R 106MM Fleece billet charger Werhli fab S400 install kit with bridge and piping, Merchant Auto Billet push tubes, Socal Valve springs, Socal valve covers, Socal flex plate, Mishimoto black intercooler, DSP5, Air dog 165,

1986 K10 short bed LQ4/4L80E

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L



2015 LTZ Z71 LML, CCLB 3500HD.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM
catman3126's Avatar
catman3126 catman3126 is offline
Ehhh?.... You don't say?
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Oregon
Posts: 2,611

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatracer69r View Post
Thank you for everyone's help and advise. I'm going to talk to the the shop that did my injectors and see if they will at least recheck the tubes. If not then maybe I can find a shop to check those first before tearing it down to head gaskets. I'm gas engine smart, but a diesel idiot which I hate.

Who did your injectors?
__________________
2005 2500HD dmax, CCSB, 4" exhaust, Built motor with Carillo's .020 over 16:5.1 piston with .075 reliefs, Socal 6480 alt fire cam, ported LBZ head's, Exergy 10MM pump Stock lly cp3 on the belt, 400% LBZ injectors, S471/87 compounded with a GT5541R 106MM Fleece billet charger Werhli fab S400 install kit with bridge and piping, Merchant Auto Billet push tubes, Socal Valve springs, Socal valve covers, Socal flex plate, Mishimoto black intercooler, DSP5, Air dog 165,

1986 K10 short bed LQ4/4L80E

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L



2015 LTZ Z71 LML, CCLB 3500HD.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors