Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Knuckle buster

Default Allison Stutter shifting up hard shifting down

OK so here is the story.

I Just purchased my first Duramax/Allison Silverado a 2003 2500HD with 132,000 on it. Was working great then started having shifting issues and found a blown C5 Clutch backing plate. I swapped out the transmission while out put new bell housing gaskets pump seal etc in so I didn't need to go back in if the used one leaked, also put in the brand new Shift solenoids I had and Transgo shift valves with upgraded e shift valve spring along with a new PMS and of course new filters. It was shifting fine didn't do any hard pulls just part throttle. The truck is bone stock nothing done no tunes anything. So since it was shifting fine and temps looked awesome and cool I took it to work a 45-minute ride. When I got off the highway I had hard downshifts and the upshifts would stutter but I could get into 5th gear. So brought it home and parked it. I have No codes at all. Oh forgot to mention yes it also has a brand new NSBU switch also.

Any ideas what to check? Used trans shifted fine in the truck it came out of.

Thanks in advance guys and or gals

Last edited by Chevman-D; 08-14-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Coker6303's ***** Daddy

Is the stutter shift in a certain gear, upshift, downshift, etc?
2006 RC/LB LBZ, SXE472/87/1.0 & FI491/100/1.45, 250% F1 Injectors, Dual 10mm CP3, SoCal Built Engine, JoshH Built Trans, JoshH Tuning. 10.18 @ 140mph, 1487HP 2885TQ Corrected ATS Dyno. 2019 Diesel Power Challenge 1st Place

Big thanks to Josh Harris, Josh Chambers, and my brother Russell Coker for all the help with the LBZ.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

you changed a whole lot of thing that that TCM has never seen before. At this point, we have no clue the health of that trans nor does the TCM and its trying to relearn everything you just changed on it.

Make sure fluid level is good and go drive the thing for a long while shifting up and down out of the gears. Then shut it off for a full min and do it again. if the bad shifts dont go away after 100 miles or so of this, you have an internal issue.

Did you use the transgo shift and trim springs? if you did, those need to go asap and put a set of Mikes springs in.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
you changed a whole lot of thing that that TCM has never seen before. At this point, we have no clue the health of that trans nor does the TCM and its trying to relearn everything you just changed on it.

Make sure fluid level is good and go drive the thing for a long while shifting up and down out of the gears. Then shut it off for a full min and do it again. if the bad shifts dont go away after 100 miles or so of this, you have an internal issue.

Did you use the transgo shift and trim springs? if you did, those need to go asap and put a set of Mikes springs in.

I'm trying to get access to a tech 2 my father and I share so I can put his truck into fast relearn.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 08-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Knuckle buster

The Spring I installed was just the E shift spring upgrade that was slightly stiffer for the stuck E shift valves, the valves are the Steel transgo replacements. I didn't do anything to pump pressure or the trim valves. That is all stock. I was reading about Mike's Springs will save that for the rebuild on the one I took out. Trans temp was awesome nice and cool.

This is why I replaced the Transmission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gOpUqqh1c

The Stutter shift is through all the gears up and slamming all the gears down. I should note the OLD trans did this same shifting before the broken backing plate was found and gave me the stuck E valve code hence the spring I just installed in the used trans I put in for now. I drove it for about a half-hour to forty-five minutes part-throttle shifting all the way up and all the way down was shifting fine till I took it on a highway ride in 5th gear for about 45 minutes to work, came off the highway and started the harsh downshifts but upshift was fine, pulled in for a coffee and when I pulled out had a shift stutter was like it dropped out of gear waited and then slammed into the next gear, did this all the way the rest of the way to work. Parked it turned it off and when I went back out and it acted the same way. I am lucky enough I work with BdSankey and I am probably driving him nuts with my questions and mind thoughts being a newb to these trucks. Love the thing so stoked to get it up and running right so I can build the old transmission and have him get me a few tunes in it.

Last edited by Chevman-D; 08-15-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Hotrodder

Debre in the cooler may have made its way into your new trans if you didn't clean or replace it

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
Debre in the cooler may have made its way into your new trans if you didn't clean or replace it
I'm betting a relearn with help greatly. The truck has adapted to the old trans with broken parts.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Got Sheep?

Sounds like a trim valve sticking.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Knuckle buster

Mike,

I can Drop the Valvebody this weekend and give them a once over. I didn't take them out at all in this trans. Anything I should do to clean them and the bores besides Brake clean? Being they are coated I don't want to mess up the finish on them. Just some ATF and Vasaline for reassembly? May as well do it before clearing and relearning it. I am kinda getting at home under this thing.

Thanks