Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 AM
<<<Me...Not My Wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandracer799 View Post
I beleive his name was Daniel Jones. His truck is a Dark Blue GMC ECLB.
He works for Dominon Power downtown. He said he lives in Amelia.

Not the same guy. Thanks

Sold: 2011 GMC Duramax, CC

Sold:'06 GMC Duramax, CC, SB, SLT 4SA, Chrome H2's, 285 BFG's, Downpipe back MBRP, Autometer guages, AD II, BigDipper trans, Tuning by IdahoRob
Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandracer799 View Post
proving to the community that it can be done.
what I said would not work (and wont work) is swapping to a complete LLY (ECM included) in an 01-02 LB7 truck...continuing to use the LB7 ECM but having it drive an LLY FICM obviously works fine...

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Making Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
what I said would not work (and wont work) is swapping to a complete LLY (ECM included) in an 01-02 LB7 truck...continuing to use the LB7 ECM but having it drive an LLY FICM obviously works fine...

ben

Should have tried it when we first talked about it over a year ago!

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
LB7 Power

Quote:

ben
I was in no way shape or form calling you out in any sort of way. If you took it as that way I apologize.

Many people have said it couldnt be done and I just found it interseting to see someone with it.
MA High Idle, Complete 4" MBRP Installer Series, SC III w/1056 converter

12.88 @ 103.35 on #2
12.42 @ 110.12 on Drugs

Team Borrowed Time Member #14

Motor Death 12/23/12
Back to life 4/14/13
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Now heres a theoretical thought....

since most of us LB7 guys are coming up on the warranty, or past it, and injectors+labor would cost upwards of $3k+.....why not just swap out a set of LLY heads and FICM for about the same price, and not have to worry about injectors after that?

Juddski...."LBYZ" dont we have enough letters?
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)

Last edited by TheBac; 09-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post

since most of us LB7 guys are coming up on the warranty, or past it, and injectors+labor would cost upwards of $3k+.....why not just swap out a set of LLY heads and FICM for about the same price, and not have to worry about injectors after that?

Thats basically just what he did Tom. :

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

Quote:

Warranty is up in December and thats my plan...just have to round up the parts.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Making Chips

Or if you have a LLY and want to dumb it down, just throw a LB7 ecm in there.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Thats basically just what he did Tom. :
I know Ben...but Im saying that it could be a viable option for "regular joes" that are out of warranty on the LB7 injectors and dont want to risk another set going bad. It figures that you would have thought this idea up a few years ago...:rofl; What in the world didnt you think up back then?

I look forward to reading the particulars of this swap.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)

Last edited by TheBac; 09-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm officially done!

Quote:

The LLY swap is not going to be cheap either.

Thanks to Fleece, Blackout Performance, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, Bullfrog, Simon, Mark Broviak .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Hotrodder

subscribing
07/20/10 Homebuilt 366 /480 twins
10/23/10 11.74 @121 soft launch
9/11/11 11.39 @120
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Randsburg Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05smoker View Post
The LLY swap is not going to be cheap either.
Yea, but think about this for the long run. Even if this costs the same as a complete injector replacement, the ease of repairs in the future. O.K. an injector happens to go bad. You can diagnose which one it is and replace it easier. You can't do this this easy on the lb7. I hope I don't have to do this conversion to soon, but you never know when, but I'm looking forward to seeing the details about this.
White GMC 2003 2500HD D/A SLE/CC/SB 4x4] Bilstein 5100~Air bags~Autometer Gauges~33 BFG's~MBRP 4" Exhaust~SD tie rod sleeves~Cognito Braces~PPE high flow pick up~Fass 95 pump~Titan 52-gal.~Prodigy~New tranny 02/12/2015 Mike L. "Baby Frankenstein " w/Goerend converter w/ Mike L. tranny cooler and pump rub fix~6 speed tap shifter~Siege Engineering Anvil train horns(Very Loud)
New injectors as of 03/12/2010 @ 80k miles
Injectors started going again at 115k. 07/01/2013
06LBZ engine transplant from Russ @ RPM Motorsports~No more Lb7 injectors to replace
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Randsburg Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk355 View Post
Ok, this is my truck we are talking about here.

For starters I would like everyone to know that this thread should NOT be about weather or not it can be done, or why one would want to do it, but more "how it was done".

I’ll try to answer some of the simple question now but I don’t have time to go into details at the moment. I will look for the procedures that I wrote up (over a year ago) later this week. Along with posting a few pictures.

I have 35,000 miles currently on this dyno proven 600rwhp daily driver to back up all of my statements.

For those that WONDER WHY: My injectors failed at 160,000 miles and they replaced all of the fuel lines on top of the engine including the fuel rails due to corrosion. This time was under warrenty and it would have cost me over $3,800 if it hadn't been. So if I had put another 160,000 miles or so on the engine they would probably have failed again. But the engine didn’t make it that far, long story short it locked up 25,000 miles later. The block and pistons were scared really badly and I wanted to get the injectors out from under my valve covers for ease of access and safety. The LLY has dry injector cups witch means there is no coolant surrounding the injectors that can leak into the cylinders (this was the cause of my LB7s failure).

1. This LLY is setup like a LB7, NO EGR OR EGR COOLER!!! AND NO VVT

2. I’m using the stock LB7 ECM and FICM

3. The voltage and wire location between the two computers are identical from 2001 to at least 2005

4. The voltage to the Injectors may be different. This is why I’m using the FICM from a LLY (A Bosch engineer told me that all of the injectors that they supply to GM run off of a 12v supply line. He also told me that this engine would never run in my truck! 5 minutes after I got off of the phone with him the truck was running!!)

5. I spent more time studying the wire diagrams on the LB7 and LLY then the time it actually took me to install the engine.

Again I will post the detail later this week when I have time.
The Diesel shop, that I buy from and have work done to my truck, had the same theory of the cooling around the injectors as the cause for failure. He doesn't believe the voltage is the problem. Its the cooling and heating cycles.
White GMC 2003 2500HD D/A SLE/CC/SB 4x4] Bilstein 5100~Air bags~Autometer Gauges~33 BFG's~MBRP 4" Exhaust~SD tie rod sleeves~Cognito Braces~PPE high flow pick up~Fass 95 pump~Titan 52-gal.~Prodigy~New tranny 02/12/2015 Mike L. "Baby Frankenstein " w/Goerend converter w/ Mike L. tranny cooler and pump rub fix~6 speed tap shifter~Siege Engineering Anvil train horns(Very Loud)
New injectors as of 03/12/2010 @ 80k miles
Injectors started going again at 115k. 07/01/2013
06LBZ engine transplant from Russ @ RPM Motorsports~No more Lb7 injectors to replace

Last edited by Kat; 09-05-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Fixed #2
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Highway Burnouts!

Dumbing down an LLY with an LB7 as someone wouldnt work due to VVT stuff IMO.

This is a cool deal!
Carillos, Mahles, ARP 625s, SoCal Cam, Stage 1 Heads, 60% sticks, PPE Dual CP3, HTT 66SS/GT4718R Stainless Steel Twins, PPE High Flow Intake Manifold, Up Pipes and Headers. 6" MBRP single stack. Mike L. Suncoast 4 w/ 1057
Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Diesel View Post
Yea, but think about this for the long run. Even if this costs the same as a complete injector replacement, the ease of repairs in the future. O.K. an injector happens to go bad. You can diagnose which one it is and replace it easier. You can't do this this easy on the lb7. I hope I don't have to do this conversion to soon, but you never know when, but I'm looking forward to seeing the details about this.
Thankyou....you understood where I was coming from! Neat part is, you shouldnt have the O/H issues that are typical LLY fare, either