Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 PM
FNG

Default lly or lbz?

I have a motorhome that has a 01 lb7 and it dropped a valveseat and killed head and two pistons I dont want injector troubles what motor should I put in it lby lby ot lbz? What would I need to do for this? I'm a Cummins guy but have lots of diesel conversion experience but none with electronic injectors. I have made them work with all the electronics for trans and techs and sensors. Any advice would be very appreciated. Rod
Old 08-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

This person used an LBZ:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...z-allison.html
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:35 PM
I like turtles

Can't go wrong either way. I would prefer the lbz but would not be scared of the lly. Not having a ficm is nice.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM
FNG

Does anyone make a plug and play for the Lb7 to LBZ and who would I talk to? I need this as quick and easy as possible I live in Iowa and the motorhome is in Ohio at my father in law's I only get there couple times a year. Rod
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-horsepower View Post
Does anyone make a plug and play for the Lb7 to LBZ and who would I talk to? I need this as quick and easy as possible I live in Iowa and the motorhome is in Ohio at my father in law's I only get there couple times a year. Rod
Ben Tyler @ BT Diesel Works makes conversion kits ect. The problem with Ben is that he is very VERY hard to get ahold of most of the time. He is very busy and a one man show. His products, in my opinion, are fantastic but can be frustrating to get ahold of.
-Built Motor, Billet S475/87/1.00 T4, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend J Converter, Billet Trans w/DEFEO 6 Pinion Planet, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD Sump, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Bosch Reman Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, Beans Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Gearhead

This thread has good info about going from early LB7 to LLY.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum...ad.php?t=65573

Staying LLY would work better if you are using the older 5sp Allison.
If you go LBZ then get the whole donor package and the 6sp trans.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
Ben Tyler @ BT Diesel Works makes conversion kits ect. The problem with Ben is that he is very VERY hard to get ahold of most of the time. He is very busy and a one man show. His products, in my opinion, are fantastic but can be frustrating to get ahold of.
Ben's products, although nice, aren't worth the headache if you need any tech support. RPMMotorsports is the way to go for anything swap related.
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
supporting mods
Old 08-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAC_Man View Post
This thread has good info about going from early LB7 to LLY.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum...ad.php?t=65573

Staying LLY would work better if you are using the older 5sp Allison.
If you go LBZ then get the whole donor package and the 6sp trans.
I could be wrong but canít the 6 speed conversion kit from duramax tuner be used for the Lbz swaps?
Rare parts steering w/DHD brace, egr delete, pcv re-route, BD lift pump, duramaxtuner perfect tow tune.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Hotrodder

6 speed conversions (on a 5 speed ally) are not designed to work with an lbz…….. the internal harness and external nsbu (LB7/LLY type) associated with this conversion work with an AL5 tcm with custom programming from the company who make the kit.

LBZ's use different a internal harness, different nsbu, and a totally different tcm that is not compatible with the older lb7/lly ecm's.

1970 Chevelle Duramax Hot Rod, '04 LB7/TH400-gear vendor, HTT 67.7 FMW, Wagler street intake, 65% S&S sticks, exergy 10 mil pump, SoCal AF3388, Valve springs, Push Rods, LBZ rods, cut LB7 slugs..... 10 sec cruzer :-)

2002 2500HD LLY 6 speed ally conversion
Old 08-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Hotrodder

As far as a plug n play chassis harness, LB7-LLY, I have one that works on trucks, not sure what the difference is on a motorhome, if any. If interested I can ask my harness guy and see what the difference is and possible modify the existing 01/02 lly harness I have to fit your motorhome. But that would mean you would use an LLY in your conversion and not the LBZ.

lmk.

Rick

1970 Chevelle Duramax Hot Rod, '04 LB7/TH400-gear vendor, HTT 67.7 FMW, Wagler street intake, 65% S&S sticks, exergy 10 mil pump, SoCal AF3388, Valve springs, Push Rods, LBZ rods, cut LB7 slugs..... 10 sec cruzer :-)

2002 2500HD LLY 6 speed ally conversion
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
FNG

I haven't bought anything yet I can get the 6dpeed for the Lbz. This was a conversion out of a pickup any way. I just dont want the injectors of the Lb7 and would like 350-400hp not a hot rod but to pull the mountains and pull my race car trailer if needed but dont want to hurt the trans bu overpowering it. Rod
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-horsepower View Post
I haven't bought anything yet I can get the 6dpeed for the Lbz. This was a conversion out of a pickup any way. I just dont want the injectors of the Lb7 and would like 350-400hp not a hot rod but to pull the mountains and pull my race car trailer if needed but dont want to hurt the trans bu overpowering it. Rod
The trans will not last at 350-400hp. How much does the motor Home weigh? I would go with the LLY so you donít have to worry about cracking a piston with the LBZ.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Hotrodder

Why not stick with the lb7 put the money into a built transmission. Doesn't seem worth the effort to change over to a lly or lbz.

Run sac style injectors with a tune and should be good to go for at least 100k miles. Unless your putting a ton of miles on a motor home. Did you say how many miles was on that motor.

And believe me. I've only done 2 injector swaps on a lb7 and I don't want to do any more. I get it. There a pain.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM
FNG

Motor had 42k on it and blew a head gasket. Pulled motor and was going to put a Cummins in it but the job was done do nicely that I studded it and put it back in but must not have gotten the air out of it or it had a cracked head it over heated driving the motorhome from where I put the motor in 1 hour south of my father in law's and it got hot enough that it dropped a seat and munched it through a couple of pistons and killed both heads. It is hard to monitor the engine in the dark first time I drove it on to lane highway and it junked it. I just want the injection lines outside of the head so they dont leak and dilute the oil and kill another one. And if I have problems with an injector I dont have to pull the motor as the is no room to take off all the lines and valve covers in the engine bay. I want to go on vacation and not worry about troubles with the coach and concentrate on enjoying my time with family so trying to do it right the 2nd time and be done.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 AM
FNG

What are sack style injectors?