Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 AM
FNG

Default 07 Classic Stereo Upgrade that retains OEM controls?

Looking to upgrade my LT3-Bose stereo. Just changing the head unit. here is what is important in order:

-Able to load Android apps
-Able to load Apple apps
-Full steering wheel button control retention
-Rear seat console control functionality

I will use this with an Internet Access Point that I leave in the truck to stream music instead of pay SiriusXM.

Your recommendations and insight are much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Gearhead

I don't know about rear console retention BUT any of the quality steering wheel control adapters will keep full functionality. You may have to program the adapter BUT you can easily retain them. As for streaming music, you will have to get android based headunit to connect directly to the access point unless you want to stream from your phone to he headunit via bluetooth or wired connection.

Look at Crutchfield, they are AWESOME to deal with and have everything broken out by year/model/etc.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 07-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Heavy & Slow

I have never found anything that retains the rear seat console functionality.

What I did in my Suburban is put in a TNR800 (factory navigation unit out of a Cadillac, etc.). It fully supports the rear seat controls. Though extremely hard to find, I got a PAC VCI-GM2 to add a backup camera. I also got a iSimple ISGM655 that added Bluetooth, USB, and aux in. I use my phone (though any Bluetooth audio source will work) to stream internet radio or whatever I want. While you don't get full Android Auto or Apple Car Play integration, you do retain the rear seat controls. So, for example, I can listen to Pandora while running Google Maps in the front while the rear seat listens to FM or a CD with headphones.

If you are willing/able to give up the dual-zone audio, the best bet is to get a good aftermarket head unit with Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play. This will be much cheaper than the setup I have, and will be better in every way except the loss of rear seat controls. As people are saying, any good kit will retain steering wheel controls.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Hotrodder

Iím a fan of the new alpine double din units that have both Apple car play and android auto, have a pretty good price point, Iím not sure of any kit that can retain the rear seat controls

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-ILX-W650.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram
@codydavemiller
@mfsdiesel

2001 LB7 CC/SB 4x4
S&B, 4"Silverline, AD150, 10mm Fleece 750, 65% SAC S&S Inj. Danville Tuning, Limitless Built Trans. Coming soon-369sxe

2007 LBZ EC S/B 4x4 SLT

4" MBRP SS
S&B Intake, Ridgerunner Moonshine Tuning
Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Boost!

OP - not sure what year your truck is. Some of the PAC RadioPRO modules claim to retain rear seat entertainment functionality.

E.g
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ement/rp5-gm11