Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Big Girl!

Default Large Frame Charger Install on LB7

Gonna be installing my new charger here very soon. I was looking under the hood and in order to fit my 5" intake it looks like the factory coolant line to the turbo that connects at the coolant crossover pipe is gonna be in the way. Has anyone run into this? Will the brass fitting on the crossover pipe get in the way? what can be done about it? Can i cap it off since my new charger will be oil cooled? If so where can a get a cap or plug to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Travis

2010 Straight Diesel 2.8 Points Champion
special thanks:
B&B Pulling and Greene's Diesel Performance, Fully Spooled Motorsports, Johnboy, Simon, Ed, ProFab Performance, Hamilton Cams, Extreme Prejudice Racing, Ridge Runner Diesel
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogjohnson View Post
Gonna be installing my new charger here very soon. I was looking under the hood and in order to fit my 5" intake it looks like the factory coolant line to the turbo that connects at the coolant crossover pipe is gonna be in the way. Has anyone run into this? Will the brass fitting on the crossover pipe get in the way? what can be done about it? Can i cap it off since my new charger will be oil cooled? If so where can a get a cap or plug to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Travis
Yes travis, I just removed the thermostat, that is the piece it connects to the charger cooling hose, and brazed it shut by cutting it down and brazing it closed. If you need a pic, let me know.

2005 LLY 3500 cc 4x4 <- Gone

2007 lmm excb 4x4 dually GMC <- Gone

2015 LML cclb 4x4 dually GMC Tow hog

2015 LML ccsb 4x4 GMC Denali ( wife's ride ) Needs a " this is not my husbands ride " sticker.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Team Salad Bartender

Travis, the big problem with running a big intake from the stock location to the charger is the "hood Clearance". Here's a photo of a big intake pipe on a GT42. Notice the dent in the top of the pipe to clear the hood. Anyone recognize this engine Bay? Clue, the truck is in Michigan.

Last edited by 02freighttrain; 05-06-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Big Girl!

Steve dont the GMC's have less clearence than the chevy's?

special thanks:
B&B Pulling and Greene's Diesel Performance, Fully Spooled Motorsports, Johnboy, Simon, Ed, ProFab Performance, Hamilton Cams, Extreme Prejudice Racing, Ridge Runner Diesel
Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
That's better

Quote:

Thanks
Travis
I bypassed the coolant from the turbo as per instructions, you can see them in the DIY section under HTT turbo

how are you getting the oil? from the cam journal or from the oil filter housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yes travis, I just removed the thermostat, that is the piece it connects to the charger cooling hose, and brazed it shut by cutting it down and brazing it closed. If you need a pic, let me know.
SOLD
05 CC/LB 4X4
SOLD
Abby 01 RC/LB 10.28@144mph
SOLD
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Big Girl!

Simon,

I was going to use the cam bearing, I was leary at first because of the fear of spinning a cam bearing and ruining the charger, but I install cam bearings all the time at work and you litterly have to hammer those things in. I think that if my cam bearing was going to spin it would have done it by now.

If yall think otherwise i will run an oil line to the oil filter housing.

special thanks:
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Kicked to the Curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02freighttrain View Post
Travis, the big problem with running a big intake from the stock location to the charger is the "hood Clearance". Here's a photo of a big intake pipe on a GT42. Notice the dent in the top of the pipe to clear the hood. Anyone recognize this engine Bay? Clue, the truck is in Michigan.
I know who's truck that is
Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02freighttrain View Post
that pipe is in KY now.

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Last edited by SmokeShow; 02-15-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Big Girl!

Has anyone welded the bung hole shut for the coolant and relocated it?

Could I just weld it up and cap off the return line?

Getting closer to install this charger and still up in the air on the obstacle

special thanks:
Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would take oil from another place Travis. The valve train needs all the oil it can get IMO. Filter housing with some Simon special braided line would be my first choice!!

As far as clearance issues, Simon does your cowl hood have more clearance than the stocker?? If so, that is an option.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Has anyone welded the bung hole shut for the coolant and relocated it? That is what I did and I haven't had any problems yet.

Could I just weld it up and cap off the return line?

Getting closer to install this charger and still up in the air on the obstacle
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Gearhead

That intake above w/ the dent was under a GMC cowl hood. The under hood bracing on the aftermarket hood is the same as stock. I think some mods could be done to get a little more clearance and maybe a little less flat spot.

or.....

Do like the ricers and install the turbo "pimple".