Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Hotrodder

Leave us alone James nonsense is the only thing thatís got this thread alive all these years. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Damn, and all because I said I donít like DSP switches. I never meant to start an argument. I do have a DSP switch in my LBZ, and I use it like many have said, to test tuning changes. The overall horsepower is the same, but when making timing, boost, fuel pressure, or throttle position changes, it makes it easier to compare than flashing one at a time. I have never understood why people say they have trouble controlling a high horsepower truck in bad conditions. I have never had trouble not pushing the pedal down hard. Do some people tune their throttles so they're super sensitive to throttle inputs? I always liked it to be more progressive for that very reason.

So you can tell me you have never been caught off guard spinning your tires when youíre rolling into it, because the boost hits in the rain, snow, or ice? I feel you can make the throttle as progressive as you want our power band still wonít be progressive. And for someone thatís not used to it or worse yet only driven vehicles with traction control itís dangerous IMO. Of course I might be a little bit biases since my wife couldíve easily been killed in her accident due to her lack of throttle control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Leave us alone James nonsense is the only thing thatís got this thread alive all these years. lol

So you can tell me you have never been caught off guard spinning your tires when youíre rolling into it, because the boost hits in the rain, snow, or ice? I feel you can make the throttle as progressive as you want our power band still wonít be progressive. And for someone thatís not used to it or worse yet only driven vehicles with traction control itís dangerous IMO. Of course I might be a little bit biases since my wife couldíve easily been killed in her accident due to her lack of throttle control.

Iíve never had any problems in rain with my 80mm single and when the boost hits I always have plenty of traction. Now I will say in the snow I wonít let it come up on boost I drive around like an old lady. And I will agree a dsp5 is perfect for letting someone else drive your vehicle because they canít handle it, but I will never let anyone drive my cars unless they know how to drive. I have too much money wrapped up into them to have them wrecked by an easily avoidable situation.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Leave us alone James nonsense is the only thing that’s got this thread alive all these years. lol

So you can tell me you have never been caught off guard spinning your tires when you’re rolling into it, because the boost hits in the rain, snow, or ice? I feel you can make the throttle as progressive as you want our power band still won’t be progressive. And for someone that’s not used to it or worse yet only driven vehicles with traction control it’s dangerous IMO. Of course I might be a little bit biases since my wife could’ve easily been killed in her accident due to her lack of throttle control.

I totally agree with where you are coming from. While my tune is not as big as many here, I have broken traction a few times in bad weather. The good, this is it is quite controllable. It still goes ware ever you point the steering. The rear end doesn't kick out like some. I don't know if it is because it is a dually or something else but my SRW truck wasn't as predictable.

My throttle is definitely more responsive or touchy then stock but I am very familiar with the power band and how the truck behaves. If it was someone else driving it I would be a bit more nervous

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Leave us alone James nonsense is the only thing that’s got this thread alive all these years. lol

So you can tell me you have never been caught off guard spinning your tires when you’re rolling into it, because the boost hits in the rain, snow, or ice? I feel you can make the throttle as progressive as you want our power band still won’t be progressive. And for someone that’s not used to it or worse yet only driven vehicles with traction control it’s dangerous IMO. Of course I might be a little bit biases since my wife could’ve easily been killed in her accident due to her lack of throttle control.

oh im all for this discussion but couple tempers started coming up back there

i will add, i never drove on a small tune due to snow or traction. even hit black ice a few times not knowing it til the ass end came out from under me with cruise set but it was spinning at a throttle input that was no where near above stock power levels. tapped the cruise cancel button, correct into the slide and wait till traction catches. lucky the front end never lost bite and the rear end stayed to the back. never hit the brakes or throttle. That is all an issue of driving too fast for the conditions and nothing for power. really the only time power got me in trouble was trying to plow through 3-4ft of fresh snow and me trying to show off through snow covered dirt roads when we would go "snow wheeling". buried this big bitch deep a few times.

the way i look at it, if you dont have trac control and stabil control on, power wont make a difference if you know your vehicle and modulate with the throttle. you can get your self in trouble in a hurry with 520ft lbs of stock lb7 torque on crap roads if you are not careful.

i had a way harder time in my 2wd 4.3 v6 1500 with nv3500 and a locker in the snow. that got straight sketchy way too often.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM
I like turtles

Good tuning comes into play. My race truck all the tunes feel the same tell about 1/2 -3/4 throttle. I can see issues when tuners put all the fuel down low. A throttle pedal is fir controlling power.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Heavy & Slow

Tuning is everything. When I first had Rob tune my truck, it was like a light switch. Had him drive it and he got it settled down.

Switched back to my own tuning and found out exactly why it was so hard for him to make linear! This combination of parts wants to come on hard.

But it is possible to make even a big single light progressively and predictably. Will it be super clean? Probably not. Will it light quick? Heck no. But there's enough tables even in the LB7 so I can have it mild at 3/4 throttle and lower, and more aggressive above that. How my truck leaves the line at 1/2 and full throttle is totally different. This was not a quick or easy result to achieve. Years of tune tweaks.

A DSP would have let me make a street tune and a race tune in a fraction of the time vs. this master tune. But with enough effort and stubbornness, I managed to make a 660 RWHP tune that drives smoother than stock in the snow, unless I mash the throttle.

The people with 800+ HP just have more work cut out for them to make one master tune, but I believe it's possible. Might not be worth the time investment over a DSP to some, and I can understand that fully.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Diesel Addiction Owner

There are several legitimate reasons to have a true DSP5 switch:

On a mileage tune for running empty you can get away with a little more timing than a tow tune run under load, and it will help the mileage. On VVT trucks you can also open the vanes at cruising mm3 to help the mileage when not under a load. Those things would both not work well while towing heavy loads.

Running on a high power tune will mean that you use less throttle input when driving conservatively, such as while towing. With light throttle comes earlier shifts, earlier shifts while towing will get you under the turbo. On a lower powered tune you will have to use more throttle while towing, effectively raising the shift points and making the truck tow nicer. Sure I can manually shift at a higher RPM, but many customers don't want to manually shift their automatic and why should they have to. Some people get annoyed by a turbo brake except when they are towing, so having it only on the tow tune is nice.

While racing if you are not full throttle (for bracket or what the track can hold) you are also going to have a lower shift point and a hard time staying consistent for bracket/index racing. A switch lets you run a tune that will run the number while WOT with shifts at a consistent RPM.

A low power tune for if someone else drives your truck is nice. A high idle tune is convenient for low speed cruise control (towing a camper through an RV park without your foot bouncing on the throttle), jump starting someone, warming up your truck or cooling off the interior faster, etc.

06 Chevy RCLB 2WD "NO REHAB" - Shop Race truck. Stock bottom end, DA heads and cam, S485/96 single, 300% overs and 14mm CP3 by S&S, DA trans. 6.56 @ 106------10.49 @ 122
05 Chevy ECSB SS "OTHRGRL" - DA EFI Live, Custom DA Trans, Single CP3, Single turbo, Fuel only
835hp 1350tq - 04/18/13-------------11.18 @ 122 - 08-07-09
DIESEL POWER CHALLENGE 2010 - 3rd Place
Coasted to a 10.74 before retirement to street truck status.

04.5 Chevy CCSB "WORKMULE" - Shop Work truck and stock class sled puller thrown together with spare and scrap parts. 11.81 @ 115------7.24 @ 96
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Shits broke

Ummm
These are not p pump trucks. There’s no such thing as mileage tunes and towing tunes. Higher power tunes do not make your truck shift sooner with lower throttle input shitty tuning does.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM
lots to learn...

Some of you guys must not be towing 30k..

2008 LMM SCLB 2500 converted to 3500 dually flatbed

O6 LLY GMC SLT 4X4 (sold)
2005 LLY SCLB (sold)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacy_dzlguy View Post
That is irrelevant. The truck doesnít care how much weight itís moving. It only knows 0-100% throttle input, make it work.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

The new model Duramaxes always seem to bring out arguments like this. Been that way since the LLY came out.

We'll see what we'll see on the L5P.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacy_dzlguy View Post

Or definitely not towing 10-15k through the mountains in the middle of winter when itís -20.
Sure a guy could flash a tune in but when a one leaves Calgary and itís 45 degrees you donít really think about the temp 3 hrs away when you and 3 buddies are loading up the sleds for the weekend!!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Shits broke

The "I need a DSP5 switch" starter pack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (191.4 KB, 101 views)

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

I guess Mark should have tried to talk me into one of these single master tunes instead of a dsp

Oh and the single 80mm turbo having a progressive power band
Jesse
Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
I guess Mark should have tried to talk me into one of these single master tunes instead of a dsp

Oh and the single 80mm turbo having a progressive power band
Why would he talk you into spending less money

Tailgate Crew Member #1