Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 AM
Hotrodder

Default Tribute to an old friend.

So I bought this truck back in 2007. It was wrecked and had a salvage title. I performed all of the repairs, got the title flipped back to rebuilt status.

Some of you old timers may remember me being a new guy over on DP, asking tons of dumb questions.

Since then, the truck has been my daily driver. I am not one of those people that change vehicles often (yes, I may be referring to Corbin here LOL), I tend to get attached to things, especially the things I put a lot of effort into.

In 2008 I did injectors in the old girl (this was pre SAC and all of that stuff)
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-...ment-pics.html

After injectors, the only other major repair was a failed transfer case. I swapped that out with a Merchant reman unit. In 2016 it began to haze at idle again, I weighed my options and decided to just pull the LB7 and replace it with a LBZ. At this point the LB7 had 330,000 miles on it and had been through (4) sets of injectors. (Only one of which were on my watch) So I came on here asked a lot more questions and swapped it out.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=72330

At this point I figured I would be keeping the truck for another ten plus years. Rust was beginning to be a big issue, so I began to collect parts to repair the body all over again. I scored a sweet rust free bed out of Texas, also a set of front fenders and driver's door. The bed and fenders were already the correct color! I ordered repop rockers and cab corners.

But, in the spring of last year I bought another wrecked DMAX. My wife and I decided we wanted something newer, so we did this;
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=77616

So there I sat, with a 340,000 mile, 03 CCSB, LB7/LBZ converted truck, that had a rebuilt title and a lot of rust. And a pile of parts waiting to be installed. Like Johnny Cash said "what could I do?"

Common sense tells me to just broom all of it, fire sale it and the parts for whatever I could get, wash my hands and move on, right? That would have been the smart thing to do, but I couldn't.

This will sound dumb to most of you guys, but I just didn't feel like I could do that. Seemed disrespectful to an old friend, to just reduce it to parts and walk away from it.

So in the purest definition of "throwing good money after bad", I put it back in the shop and began rebuilding it again.

Now this is not an exciting hot rod or pulling truck, just a solid running tow pig that took myself and my family on tons of adventures dragging a 5th wheel camper, trailer full of dirt bikes or snowmobiles. Hell, one time I put my Harley in the bed of it, drove to Tampa, unloaded there and rode the Harley the rest of the way to Key West.

It's crazy, I know. Even crazier to admit all of this , then come on here and tell everyone, but whatever, I'm old and not very bright. Just want my old truck (friend) to live on a little longer. So here's a few pictures, if your bored enough to have read this far, may as well have a look at them.

(the one with the PYO wheels and no driver's door is how I bought it back in 2007)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asbought.jpg (101.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7421.jpg (162.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7422.jpg (182.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7523.jpg (160.5 KB, 145 views)

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison, under construction.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 AM
Hotrodder

Few more pics;

I have more but I'm getting a security token error message on those. Maybe my stupidity limit has been exceeded for today?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7761.jpg (165.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7831.jpg (163.6 KB, 112 views)

Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Hotrodder

Nice work. Is paint/body work what you do or have done for a living in the past? You're good if its just a hobby skill!.

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 03-29-2018, 07:37 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

i cant fault you for getting attached to trucks, i do the same
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Nice work. Is paint/body work what you do or have done for a living in the past? You're good if its just a hobby skill!.
No, my day job is skilled trades, Diemaker. Bodywork and paint is just a hobby, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
i cant fault you for getting attached to trucks, i do the same
What did Tom T Hall say? "Old dog and children and watermelon wine." Same song could be written about old trucks. LOL.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM
<thatís not me...

Absolutely no shame in keeping something you love. Especially putting that much effort into it. I wish I didnít sell my lb7, but live and learn. Iím not settling this time around with what I end up with. Million mile duramax here I come.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. And itís currently broke
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Rockin' the stock tune

I liked the story. I felt the same way about my LB7, so I can relate to all the trips and the fun. I had my LB7 all through college, made some good friends in the diesel scene, drove it to TS and Scheid's (before they became flatbiller fests), I took many trips to the coast in it, raced it, towed stranded friends, and even drove it in a blizzard to help stranded family 2.5 hours away.

'12 LML
'03 LB7

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Old 03-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Im a Garrett Nut Swinger

Absolutely no shame.I bought my LBZ new , I made several good friends through the hobby. My truck sits most of the time now. It's literally the truck that I grew up in so it has lots lots of memories tied with it. I hasn't even crossed my mind to sell it...but rather sink some money in it to restore some worn items.
8" Fabtech lift 37x13.5/20 tires....Mike L trans....some go fast goodies
13.20@106mph

'06 Jetta TDI
Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Honey Badger

Good to see a like minded guy, I have a similar build thread on my truck, I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it! It's family!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

I joke that I'll be buried in my truck.
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:41 AM
Hotrodder

Nothing wrong with that, I have no intentions of getting rid of mine. I also get attached, My 74 is built out of a bunch of parts from my 77 i drove in high school.
Fass 150
Built Trans w/SC1058
Bumpers built by me
Old 03-30-2018, 02:54 AM
~

I wish I could do paint and body work half that good!
Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan. View Post
I wish I could do paint and body work half that good!

Thatís why I want to start practicing now. That way when the day comes and my truck is totaled I can do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:18 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Thatís why I want to start practicing now. That way when the day comes and my truck is totaled I can do the same thing.

Same here. I just need something to practice on. I want to paint my motorcycle myself but I would for sure screw it up with zero experience. I would really like to be taught by someone that knows what they are doing rather than shooting from the hip.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
Absolutely no shame in keeping something you love. Especially putting that much effort into it. I wish I didnít sell my lb7, but live and learn. Iím not settling this time around with what I end up with. Million mile duramax here I come.

No, Iím not planning to keep it, just breathe life back into it, so hopefully it can live on with a new owner. For a few more years anyway.