Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Goer

Default LLY Fun

Hey all,
Its been a few years since I've been real active on here mostly due to life. New girl, new job, new house, new old Chevelle.
Anyhow I had a mechanic buddy turn me on to an 05 ccsb Duramax with150,000 on it that he had been working on for the owner for a few years. Little back story on the truck about a year ago it lost the head gaskets and instead of fixing it the owner bought a used motor and had my buddy put it in for him. Well a couple months back they figure it cracked a piston and the owner is done with it. My buddy new I was looking for a new hunting/winter rig and put me in touch with the owner and after an incredible cash deal I am the proud new owner of an 05 with two bad motors and a new set of injectors.lol
So my plans are I'm building the motor with the bad head gaskets which I have torn down and I'm looking for any input on cheap tricks/fixes and mods for llys to do to this motor while it is apart. Like I said it will mostly be used for hunting and winter driving with some weekend towing with a decent tow tune and a stock trans so no need for anything fancy.
So far this is what I've done and ordered.
Crank checked and heads surfaced.
Head studs.
All new gaskets.
All new bearings.
Water pump.
Mel oil pump.
Push rods. Had a couple bent.
Glow Plugs.
Newer style 14 row oil cooler.
External fluidyne oil cooler.
Pvc reroute.
Race valve fuel plug.
Mishimito T stats.
Kennedy fan clutch.
LBZ mouth peace and intake.
Profab manifolds and up pipes. Had these laying on the shelf.
Profab 3" down pipe.
Turbo needs rebuild so port polish, Wetzel wheel and a ten blade turbine with figures vanes.

Any feed back is appreciated.
2005 CCSB TBD

Last edited by baggedLB7; 11-21-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 AM
Gearhead

1) What bearings did you order? I.E. P series/H series/HX series from Mahle?
2) If you haven't received the 17-19 oil cooler and are willing to cut a heat shield tab off the exhaust manifold I would highly recommend going to the 2020 cooler, it has 20 rows and is an easy bolt on with some new bolts and the adapter from GM.
3) Make sure your tuner updates the file for the LBZ intake.
4) IMO an upgraded wheel is nice but I don't think you'll see a massive benefit for the cost outlay. At that point you're better off getting a drop in 64mm as you won't be too much cheaper to rebuild/port/polish/billet wheel.

I would also look at doing a Danville or Fleece remote oil feed line to the turbo to eliminate the possibility of the cam bearing moving or being installed incorrectly and blocking the oil supply line.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Cast S475/96/1.10 T6 Over Stock IHI, FASS 150,4" Exhaust, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap, LML Oil Pump, LML Piston Cooling Nozzles, 2020 L5P Oil Cooler, Derale Aux Oil Cooler w/Fan, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedLB7 View Post
Hey all,
Its been a few years since I've been real active on here mostly due to life. New girl, new job, new house, new old Chevelle.
Anyhow I had a mechanic buddy turn me on to an 05 ccsb Duramax with150,000 on it that he had been working on for the owner for a few years. Little back story on the truck about a year ago it lost the head gaskets and instead of fixing it the owner bought a used motor and had my buddy put it in for him. Well a couple months back they figure it cracked a piston and the owner is done with it. My buddy new I was looking for a new hunting/winter rig and put me in touch with the owner and after an incredible cash deal I am the proud new owner of an 05 with two bad motors and a new set of injectors.lol
So my plans are I'm building the motor with the bad head gaskets which I have torn down and I'm looking for any input on cheap tricks/fixes and mods for llys to do to this motor while it is apart. Like I said it will mostly be used for hunting and winter driving with some weekend towing with a decent tow tune and a stock trans so no need for anything fancy.
So far this is what I've done and ordered.
Crank checked and heads surfaced.
Head studs.
All new gaskets.
All new bearings.
Push rods. Had a couple bent.
Glow Plugs.
Newer style 14 row oil cooler.
External fluidyne oil cooler.
Pvc reroute.
Race valve fuel plug.
Mishimito T stats.
Kennedy fan clutch.
LBZ mouth peace and intake.
Profab manifolds and up pipes. Had these laying on the shelf.
Profab 3" down pipe.
Turbo needs rebuild so port polish, Wetzel wheel and a ten blade turbine with figures vanes.

Any feed back is appreciated.
De-lip the pistons as well Tim. if the block is being decked, have the pistons cut as much as the block was decked. otherwise id leave them. wouldnt hurt to have the rods checked for straightness if the lost a HG and possibly hydrolocked the engine.

otherwise you should be good. id get a new set of main bolts though. they are TTY. dont get studs unless you have the mains line honed.
James

2002 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/6sp alli "The Limo"

2020 L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/10sp alli "The New Limo" staying stock........ish

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
1) What bearings did you order? I.E. P series/H series/HX series from Mahle?
2) If you haven't received the 17-19 oil cooler and are willing to cut a heat shield tab off the exhaust manifold I would highly recommend going to the 2020 cooler, it has 20 rows and is an easy bolt on with some new bolts and the adapter from GM.
3) Make sure your tuner updates the file for the LBZ intake.
4) IMO an upgraded wheel is nice but I don't think you'll see a massive benefit for the cost outlay. At that point you're better off getting a drop in 64mm as you won't be too much cheaper to rebuild/port/polish/billet wheel.
I would also look at doing a Danville or Fleece remote oil feed line to the turbo to eliminate the possibility of the cam bearing moving or being installed incorrectly and blocking the oil supply line.
I went with P series bearings.
I am planning on using a sandwich adapter that I already have with my big external oil cooler and am not looking to purchase and customize a new one to make the 2020 work. Plus with llys already having heat issues I'm a little worried about dumping the extra heat into an already undersized cooling system.
I'm only into the turbo upgrade and rebuild just under 500 me performing all the work.
Ill deff look into the feed line. This is the first I've herd of this issue and one of the reasons I started this thread. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
De-lip the pistons as well Tim. if the block is being decked, have the pistons cut as much as the block was decked. otherwise id leave them. wouldnt hurt to have the rods checked for straightness if the lost a HG and possibly hydrolocked the engine.
otherwise you should be good. id get a new set of main bolts though. they are TTY. dont get studs unless you have the mains line honed.
Block wasn't decked and there was no signs of water in the bores when I pulled the heads but I forgot to list that I have a set of good lbz rods on the shelf that will be thrown in just in case I need a little more down the road.
I will deff order me up some new main bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming if anyone thinks of anything else.
2005 CCSB TBD
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM
<thatís not me...

I’d buy some lbz rods while I’m at it. Little bit of added strength there and not very expensive.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s.
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2018 GasGas XC300
Old 11-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I am planning on using a sandwich adapter that I already have with my big external oil cooler and am not looking to purchase and customize a new one to make the 2020 work. Plus with llys already having heat issues I'm a little worried about dumping the extra heat into an already undersized cooling system.
I'm only into the turbo upgrade and rebuild just under 500 me performing all the work.
Ill deff look into the feed line. This is the first I've herd of this issue and one of the reasons I started this thread. Thanks

Block wasn't decked and there was no signs of water in the bores when I pulled the heads but I forgot to list that I have a set of good lbz rods on the shelf that will be thrown in just in case I need a little more down the road.
I will deff order me up some new main bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming if anyone thinks of anything else.
shit totally forgot, key the crank and cam and have the rotating assembly balanced. Feed line is up to you but i dont see the necessary need. easy enough for you to look down the feed hole at the machine shop after the block is done and make sure you can see through to the bottom of the cam bearing. your oil temps will be well enough under control that pressure shouldnt be an issue either. id put the money elsewhere.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Ill deff look into the feed line. This is the first I've herd of this issue and one of the reasons I started this thread. Thanks.

I'd highly suggest getting H series bearings, they are a large improvement over P series.
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System

-Tuned by Starlite
-Cast S475/96/1.10 T6 Over Stock IHI, FASS 150,4" Exhaust, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap, LML Oil Pump, LML Piston Cooling Nozzles, 2020 L5P Oil Cooler, Derale Aux Oil Cooler w/Fan, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'd highly suggest getting H series bearings, they are a large improvement over P series.
For his application, its more than enough. again, no sense throwing money at a part thats overkill for what he plans to do.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 AM
<thatís not me...

Lol I said lbz rods before I saw your post. Carry on

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s.
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2018 GasGas XC300
Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
For his application, its more than enough. again, no sense throwing money at a part thats overkill for what he plans to do.
Yes and no, a better bearing is never a bad idea. I would assume he already has them. If not, there isn't a huge cost delta between them, especially if he plans on ever making more power down the road.

-Tuned by Starlite
Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes and no, a better bearing is never a bad idea. I would assume he already has them. If not, there isn't a huge cost delta between them, especially if he plans on ever making more power down the road.
Tim's been around a long time. hes been down alot of these avenues and is well versed in these trucks
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Goer

Thanks James although ive been around a min as I go threw new threads I realize there's alot ive missed during my hiatus. Lol
Bd
I do already have the p series and thanks for the suggestion as James says for my plans these will be good as I have some decent self control. Im actually going on 7 years on my stock bottom end and head bolts on my dually so I'm saving all the good stuff and racing goodies for a swap I've had planned for a long time now.haha
2005 CCSB TBD
Old 11-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Goer

Wasnt thinking but the up pipes I have are not smashed. Anyone put unsmashed up pipes in a single truck. Can they be persuaded farely easy?
Or it's it more work than it's worth?
2005 CCSB TBD