LB7/LLY 01-05 59 34.91%
LBZ/LMM 06-10 92 54.44%
LML 11+ 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Somewhere huffing diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDieselGTO View Post
Well I bought a truck with a broken crank, and after studying it all out, it is our inclination to think that it is caused by rpm more than anything. And i know that the guy that i bought it from would often take it up to 5000 rpms these motors are externally balanced which means that the weight of the balancer slinging around on the end of the crank is causing it to fatigue and eventually break. It is my thinking that an internally balanced crank in going to be the key to stop these failures.
Lets hear some more on this what is everyone elses thoughts? Oh and mine is an LBZ
So are you saying remove the balancer, and try just a balanaced crank?
06 Silverado cc/sb 4x4 blacked out: efi live, 71.5 cheetah, 5in straight,diamond down pipe, spearco intercooler, Pro Flow Headers, afe intake, transgo jr, SD manifold,afe intercooler tube, cobalt gauges, fabtech 6 inch, cognito uca's, Pivot/Idler Assembly with weld-in gusset, Pitman/Idler Braces, HD Tie Rods, HD Sway bar endlinks , egr blocker, PPE ported fuel rail/race, and 35's on 22's....next built trans
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash21 View Post
Ben?? as in Duratothemax.....???

What happened?
Just driving. Heard a "bang" and engine began missing and running rough. He looked underneath to see if any windows had appeared, and saw the balancer wobbling like everyone else has reported. He said he has to tear it down to make sure, but he's positive thats what it is.

He had towed 10,000lbs the day before. He thinks his engine's low oil pressure has a lot to do with this.

It sucks, but he was pretty upbeat in spite of it.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)

Last edited by TheBac; 07-20-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Hotrodder

dang that sucks. Someone mentioned that some of these cranks take more than others and it got me to thinking. It seems that way with these motors in general. Some will take a never ending pile of abuse with out missing a beat (bullfrog's bottom end comes to mind) while others just fall apart under normal driving. Its really weird.
285/75/16 up front 255/85/16 out back
Cognito UCA,
Fred's 1.5 spacers
Intake horn mod,high/low/fog headlight mod

Sticker in the back window:
REAL TRUCKS HAVE SIX WHEELS
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Hotrodder

What about running "seasoned" cranks. I know it seems to work with intermidiate shafts behind Cummins. Has anyone noticed the miles on the cranks? Have you guys used high mileage cranks that was in the enigine before the build? What about new low mile cranks? Maybe you can brake down (no pun intended) the use before?

Did it come out of a engine that was babied or one that was beat on really hard?

Moving right along. Gonna do stuff this summer.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05' Ditry Duramax View Post
What about running "seasoned" cranks. I know it seems to work with intermidiate shafts behind Cummins. Has anyone noticed the miles on the cranks? Have you guys used high mileage cranks that was in the enigine before the build? What about new low mile cranks? Maybe you can brake down (no pun intended) the use before?

Did it come out of a engine that was babied or one that was beat on really hard?
Not a metallugrical expert by any means, but the whole "seasoned" thing seems a little wierd to me. Anybody have any data to back this up one way or another?

Seems to me a crank undergoes stress from twisting and bending. The basics say if you twist and/or bend something enough times, no matter how little, it will fail eventually in theory.

I suppose there is the work hardening thing that could apply as well, although I don't know how much (or even if) in this application.

2003 Chevy LB7- MPI - ATP - Duraflite 10.18 @ 134
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 AM
<--- slippery roads

+1 for a broken LBZ crank. Whenever I get around to tearing it down ill post pics.

ben

2012 Denali - R&D testbed for upcoming new products.....
2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Be sure to "follow" us on Instagram @btdieselworks
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
+1 for a broken LBZ crank. Whenever I get around to tearing it down ill post pics.

ben
Man, that sucks.... Sorry to hear that. Hope you get back up soon!
EFILive, PPE Race Valve, KD Twin Lift Pumps & Billet Fuel Pickup, MBRP 4" "Cat-Back" T409 straight piped.

300.59' 3rd place first pull

Best 1/4 times:
Truck: 14.067 @ 96.29, weighing in at over 7200#
446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq
Car (95 Cougar 4.6L V8): 14.680 @ 94.00

"The FIRST weapon is the mind, all others are incidental."
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Smell My Finger...

Quote:

ben

Well Ben,

Your mother told you to STOP your wrecking a good truck!

Good luck,lil buddy

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)

LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKIN View Post
Well Ben,

Your mother told you to STOP your wrecking a good truck!

Good luck,lil buddy
I just have to laugh, ironic that out of the 3 motors that have been in my truck, the one I ran the hardest with the littlest care to anything was my stock factory original engine...and everyone says LLY's are junk... : That made it 85-someodd thousand miles before cracking a piston. My "BUILT" motor lasted 15,000. This stock LBZ POS short block lasted about 50,000. Wonder how far Ill get on lucky #4.

ben

2005 Silverado LT - Blown up/broken too many engines and parts to care about making it fast anymore, so its back to mostly stock - The best names in the industry for parts/advice/help...MikeL.Guy-SoCal.Rob-ATP.Evan-Limitless.McRat.BigDipper.Bobo.Tony-RRDP.Fingers.Eric-MA.EFILive...

BT DieselWorks, LLC - EFILive tuning - Duramax/Allison/gasser STANDALONE HARNESSES - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - Digital DSP-5 switches - full assortment of great electronic improvements and gadgets for your GM truck/SUV

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Last edited by duratothemax; 07-21-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Back with his honey :)

Quote:
I just have to laugh, ironic that out of the 3 motors that have been in my truck, the one I ran the hardest with the littlest care to anything was my stock factory original engine...and everyone says LLY's are junk... : That made it 85-someodd thousand miles before cracking a piston. My "BUILT" motor lasted 15,000. This stock LBZ POS short block lasted about 50,000. Wonder how far Ill get on lucky #4.

ben

my factory lly engine is still good (135,000 miles), hope I dodge all these bullets, sorry to hear about your bad luck Ben, hopefully # 4 is the last

Member # 270

Last edited by LarryJewell; 07-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM
LEGALLY INSANE

I know WDINO73 lost a crank in his built LB7 as well. As for the seasoned block theory, there may be some truth to this. I know the 6.5's have a history of cracking in the main webs on the new style squirter blocks, but blocks that seem to last to 100K miles or so without cracking seem to hold up to most anything after that. They also have problems with heads cracking between the valve seats, but seasoned heads without cracks seem to last as well.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Beer Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJewell View Post
my factory lly engine is still good (135,000 miles), hope I dodge all these bullets, sorry to hear about your bad luck Ben, hopefully # 4 is the last
Larry you need to run some man tuning... those twins should make 800+ on stock injectors.

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

ben
Sorry to hear but how many miles were on the LBZ before you installed it?
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's

Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmf666 View Post
Sorry to hear but how many miles were on the LBZ before you installed it?
no idea...it was a GM test engine. So I guess 0 "miles" in an actual truck, but who knows what GM did to it when they were testing it on the dyno.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Quote:
no idea...it was a GM test engine. So I guess 0 "miles" in an actual truck, but who knows what GM did to it when they were testing it on the dyno.
Sorry to hear that Ben.

If you need a hand, let me know.
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L converter, cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 496, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org