Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Hotrodder

Default What did you think when you first heard about the Duramax?

This is somewhat of a stupid question, but I am curious.. Back in 2000-2001 when y'all first heard about the new Duramax (LB7) for GM trucks, what did y'all think at first? I wasn't even old enough to care at that time lol, so I'm just wondering what your initial thoughts were when GM announced the Duramax/Allison powertrain?
Jeremiah 29:11

2006 Silverado 2500HD/LBZ Duramax/6 speed Allison 1000 automatic. S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, Kory Willis PPEI EFI Live 100hp tune, 4" MBRP pass through, Edge Insight CTS2

Toys:
-Majek 22 Extreme/225 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
-Sportsman KZ 240BH
Old 05-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

I was happy to see the 6.5 go bye bye
Jesse
Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 AM
FNG

Initial thought and reaction is where to look for money to acquire one.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:37 AM
Hotrodder

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinalbs View Post
that's the same thought and reaction 18 years later..
2013 Chevrolet 3500hd duramax loaded ltz cc/lb dually (tow pig)- built motor by me, exergy 10mm cp3 swap, danville 2.5 stg1.5 charger, 5" afe exhaust, wehrli charge piping and egr delete,wehrli stainless downpipe and danville tuned. 5" zone lift, 315/70r17. 2" hub centric front spacers 3" hubcentric rear spacers between duals.

2008 Chevrolet 3500hd duramax ltz cc/lb dually (homemade handgrenade) built motor by me, Built tranny by me, big exergy pump and s&s over it, large exergy lbz injectors, ac delete, custom Danville s400 true 2.5 charger, roll pan, 8" single stack, custom hitch and a few more pulling goodies.

2015 Vw passat tdi sel premium blacked out(old lady's ride)

2014 chevrolet cruze diesel work car.

Special thanks to Danville Performace & Limitless Diesel
Old 05-02-2018, 04:47 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinalbs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmax123 View Post
:

that's the same thought and reaction 18 years later..
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900, lots of boost, Mayhem tuned, etc... <<<<Broken Under Construction : BTR boost cam, sodium valves, titanium springs, 15% overdriven balancer, 80lb squirters>>>>

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:25 AM
Hotrodder

I remember all the dodge guys going. "Them aluminum heads will never last"

I was 17 and stupid. But definitely couldn't afford one then.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Daggum farm truck

The first thing I ever really read about the Duramax was the 4 Wheel and Offroad 4x4 of the year article they did every year comparing all the new 4wd trucks and SUVs that came out that year. I don't remember all the vehicles they tested that year, but I remember they had two of the new HD trucks, one with an 8.1 and one with a Duramax. I remember being very impressed that a stock diesel pickup ran as well as it did. If I remember correctly, the 8.1 was the quickest in the 1/4 mile and the Duramax was third.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 05-02-2018, 07:38 AM
Heavy & Slow

I was 14, and just getting into cars/trucks in a big way. I read everything there was to read about the Duramax, and I was in love with it. I was (and still am) into computers too, so the idea of a completely electronically controlled diesel was just amazing for me. Couldn't stop thinking about them!

I saw how gas cars had made big strides with aluminum heads, so I figured it could be done with a diesel. I never really bought the argument that they wouldn't last.

I started saving money, and by the time I was 21 (in 2008), finally found one I could afford. I bought my 2003 GMC 2500HD CCSB from a construction company down in Phoenix, AZ with 200,000 miles for $9,800. It had just had injectors done by the dealer, was the color I wanted, loaded, everything. I was over the moon.

I am still in love with the Duramax (including that exact truck, which now has a built motor). Kind of fun thinking back. I remember when the first tuners (fooler boxes really) came out, and teenage me was super impressed by how much more power you could make with a cheap plug in module. Then EFILive came to the Duramax, and, well, the rest is history. Good times, for sure.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Hotrodder

I was concerned about the aluminum heads holding up. I sure was impressed with the power and how quite it was really knocked my socks off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
I was concerned about the aluminum heads holding up. I sure was impressed with the power and how quite it was really knocked my socks off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^^same. seemed everyone had that concern that they would hold or melt off or some kind of crap would happen.

Originally my dad and i heard it was getting a CAT engine and GM was working in conjunction with them. Then the news about Isuzu came out and we were both kinda like "what kind of motor could they even build". Then it was released and boy were we surprised. an engine that made power, a trans that we knew it would be stout cause well, it was in HD over the road trucks too lol, and it wasnt a high compression/low boost engine! My dad wanted to buy one REALLY bad right away just to show up his ford/dodge buddies but wait 1 year to "let the bugs get worked out". Got my current truck in August of 01 (technically an 02) and i swear he was more excited at the fact the thing made turbo whistle noises and would do a quick jump in rpm when you first started it than anything.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Oh god, the old "melting heads" bs....

I remember that used to come up at DP about once/twice a month in the beginningup until about 2005.

I dont even think about the reasons why I looked at a Dmax any more, it was so long ago. A truck that got good fuel mileage while carting family, towing and hauling stuff were my criteria.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Got Sheep?

I didn't think much of it till my buddy Steve Younger, formerly of Transgo called me and said they were working on a shift kit for the Allison. They told me to get ready. Shortly after the shit got real.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Gearhead

If it wasn't for my old man telling me about how many miles other owners were getting out of the trucks and the reliability factor, I would have went with a whole different brand. Once an aquintance had purchased one of these and bragged about how it pulled his 20' enclosed trailer like a freight train, I was like...I need one of those! Low and behold that guy had to sell that truck; I had overheard passing by during that conversation. I then verified that with a phone call to that owner, told him to give me the VIN # and consider that truck sold!! Ever since then "2010" that 30k mile truck and I have crossed this great country of ours with over 330k on the clock and climbing. I've been lurking in the shadows on this forum since, gathering all of this great information from all of you. Man I love my truck and can't "THANK ALL OF YOU" for sharing and driving one of the best damn trucks on this planet! These things are some badass M-R-F-R's
Carrillo's, Fingers cast w reliefs 17:1, ARP, SoCal 3388AF cam, SoCal flex-plate, SoCal dampner & springs, Chromoly push rods, DHD Cast High-flow intake bridge, DHD coupler & DHD lock-up box, Danville Billet Stage 2 68R1, Danville motor mounts & Danville welded/pinned water pump, Exergy 10mm, 45% over inj, Airdog 4G 165, AFE, Banks, Mag-Hytec, ProFab Cast manifolds, MBRP, Magnaflow, QA1, Cognito, McGaughys, CalTracs, TruTrac, AC Delco Extreme duty rotors.

Motor built by Danville/tuned by Mark
Mike L Built Trans w billet shafts, hub and "K" converter

758HP/1441ftlbs
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Wound for sound

I was 13 when they first came out, I remember my neighbor (guy I got my LMM off of) had to get one first thing, and all I could think about was man I can’t wait til I get a real job to buy one, so in 2007 right after I turned 19, I traded my 2006 6.0 that I had put 20,000 miles on in 4 months and two transmissions, I got my 2005 LLY with every option but cab lights and DVD player, man was I disappointed at how gutless it was, I threw a bully dog on it and was furious then, blew the HG’s and drove it 60k miles over a year, god the life that truck lived, good times.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Hotrodder

Pretty cool guys!

Chevy1925,

I love the Duramax, I think it's a mean SOB. But man, if GM would have made a deal with CAT and dropped a CAT/Allison power train in their trucks, that's the complete definition of bombproof if you ask me. They'd out sell both Ford and Dodge I'd bet.
Jeremiah 29:11

2006 Silverado 2500HD/LBZ Duramax/6 speed Allison 1000 automatic. S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, Kory Willis PPEI EFI Live 100hp tune, 4" MBRP pass through, Edge Insight CTS2

Toys:
-Majek 22 Extreme/225 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
-Sportsman KZ 240BH