Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 AM
I like red

Default Building a shop

I'm planning to build a shop and I'm somewhat stuck on how big to build it, steel or wood building. I have a 21x30 garage attached to my house and it's already full of my toys and tools, barely can get my wife's car in it, even my truck won't fit in it length wise due to shelves by the end of the wall. I was thinking about the common 40x60 building but I'm not sure if it's overkill, don't want to regret from taking too much space in my backyard. I'm not exactly sure what's a comfortable size to work on a truck to restore (to rebuild my 06 CCSB) while having space for a 2 post lift, tools and toys. Any experience would be helpful to get my mind set on how big to build it. My goal is to have a 12 foot door in case if I come across a heavy equipment to work on. I do plenty of side works from family and friends for the basics brakes and occasional repairs.

RIP 4/1/17
06 LLY CCSB
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Hotrodder

40x60 for sure I would do 14 foot ceilings if you are planning a lift in it also.

Mine is 24x34. Came with the house and I have completely outgrown it.

Told the wife last night when we move the new place has to have a bigger shop or a bigger one will be built immediately.
456HP 925 TQ
Old 03-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Aka Mike Honcho....

Well my father has a 32X32’ with twin, 10’ double doors. I can tell you from personal experience its not big or tall enough. I personally would go with a 14’ center bay door. I also would recommend going taller to install a loft for storage or area. I would instal a man cave area up top. Bar/kitchenette, couple couches, tv, wall urinal. Down below i would instal a full tile shitter/shower combo right outsided that door i would install a clothe washer (for rags and work clothes) and water heater. The last little space under the loft i would put a tool room/ office maybe? Or use that space as a tool/compressor room with good insulation to dampened sound. Run a halo of air with plenty of drops and a genorous supply of electrical with welder plugs every so often so you dont have a 60’ extension cord. Don’t skimp on the foundation either nothing worse then a spider crack. I would also add a over head rail hoist. It makes life so much easier picking and setting heavier objects. Metal outside siding and frame is nice it cuts down on fire dangers but sucks for cold winters and hot summers. So that’s something else to address for you is heating and cooling. But good luck to you hope it all works out. Post pictures when your done so we can see how it turned out.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:47 AM
I like red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budneeds2beers View Post
Well my father has a 32X32í with twin, 10í double doors. I can tell you from personal experience its not big or tall enough. I personally would go with a 14í center bay door. I also would recommend going taller to install a loft for storage or area. I would instal a man cave area up top. Bar/kitchenette, couple couches, tv, wall urinal. Down below i would instal a full tile shitter/shower combo right outsided that door i would install a clothe washer (for rags and work clothes) and water heater. The last little space under the loft i would put a tool room/ office maybe? Or use that space as a tool/compressor room with good insulation to dampened sound. Run a halo of air with plenty of drops and a genorous supply of electrical with welder plugs every so often so you dont have a 60í extension cord. Donít skimp on the foundation either nothing worse then a spider crack. I would also add a over head rail hoist. It makes life so much easier picking and setting heavier objects. Metal outside siding and frame is nice it cuts down on fire dangers but sucks for cold winters and hot summers. So thatís something else to address for you is heating and cooling. But good luck to you hope it all works out. Post pictures when your done so we can see how it turned out.
I definitely agree with. 32x32 being too small considering it's not much bigger than my attached garage with 8 foot doors. I don't think I'll ever need a loft to make a man cave which is what my basement will be, or hell, I'll build a tree house to make it in a man cave with suspension bridge to connect to my house from my 2nd floor . I'm definitely planning on having several outlets for the welder and air hose reels.the garage will definitely be insulated and heated since I do work in the winter. It won't be for at least a few years but I'm planning it out and getting it started. Need to clear out my backyard and level it out since it does have a good hill going up. The biggest issue is how much it'll cost me to build, I do have a tight budget for the next few years until I can stop paying 15-17k a year for daycare expenses, no more kids for me. So I'll be doing it one step at a time.

RIP 4/1/17
06 LLY CCSB
Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM
NOT IN OREGON

40x60 or larger or you will 100% regret it

My house came with a garage and separate shop, the shop is 1200sq/ft or 30x40 and I already need it to be twice that size. I can park 3 trucks in it plus tool boxes and large tools and industrial warehouse racking and whatnot but it's still not enough. Whatever you do, you definitely want to do atleast a 10' door but if it were me I would only do 14' door with ceiling high enough for a lift which in reality is only 12' for the average lift
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
supporting mods

Last edited by OregonDMAX; 03-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
40x60 or larger or you will 100% regret it

My house came with a garage and separate shop, the shop is 1200sq/ft or 30x40 and I already need it to be twice that size.
Couldnít agree more

My uncle just built a 60x100

Man itís nice.
456HP 925 TQ
Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 AM
WTF!

I'm having one built in about 2 months, 36x40, a 12x12 door and a 12x14 door. 15ft ceiling,
General steel will sell a kit here in Colorado for 20,000. Doesn't include doors or glass tho. We ended up going with a clearly building. Wood framing with metal siding all the doors, glass, and hardware installed for 35000

2017 Chevy "Sport" 2500hd CCSB ltz stocker

2006 Chevy LBZ - Deleted, 5" Magnaflow, Airdog II 165 4g.

2006 Chevy lbz LT ccsb 360,000 and counting..
5" exhaust, CAI...custom hail damage, peeling paint, etc...

2016 GMC 1500 slt 6.2ltr -wife's ride-

Sold
2016 Denali HD~tuned deleted
05 LLY CCSB~EPR compounds, cognito stuff, DDD Tuning, etc..

Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

IMO, you'd want to build it at least 50% larger than you think you need, so you have room to expand or to store items.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:13 PM
WTF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
IMO, you'd want to build it at least 50% larger than you think you need, so you have room to expand or to store items.
Our HOA is my limiting factor,

2017 Chevy "Sport" 2500hd CCSB ltz stocker

2006 Chevy LBZ - Deleted, 5" Magnaflow, Airdog II 165 4g.

2006 Chevy lbz LT ccsb 360,000 and counting..
5" exhaust, CAI...custom hail damage, peeling paint, etc...

2016 GMC 1500 slt 6.2ltr -wife's ride-

Sold
2016 Denali HD~tuned deleted
05 LLY CCSB~EPR compounds, cognito stuff, DDD Tuning, etc..

Old 03-11-2018, 12:31 PM
NOT IN OREGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMax View Post
Our HOA is my limiting factor,
Step one, sell house and buy no HOA

I'm on a grandfathered in county island but it's a high end neighborhood so we can do whatever we want but the high price keeps the weirdos out... How I got in is a mystery
Mike L secret squirrel converter
Exergy Sportsman, 4/6 drop, LML 20's/420's
supporting mods
Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Making Chips

100x100

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:25 PM
<<<< No Horsepower

Default Building a shop

Iím in the same boat. I had Morton quote like 45k for a 36x40 with 10 foot ceiling. Thatís insolated though with the sheet metal inside. Iím deff looking for other company probably steel so I can get ceiling height. Itís crazy high priced imo too! I can only have the peak of the roof to 16.5 so I have a hard time finding a set up where I can get a lift in it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:13 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

build to the max of your budget or what ever the major limiting factor is. if you dont, you will wish you did. We are looking at houses out west and north of my place now. i could care less if there is a shop on the house when we buy it as id rather build it to what i want, i just want enough room for a 50x60 shop. that will let me put the toy hauler and flat bed in one side, lift on the other, and plenty of room for toys and to work on them. plus fit all my fab equipment and a future Mill.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-30-2018, 03:31 PM
<<<< No Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
build to the max of your budget or what ever the major limiting factor is. if you dont, you will wish you did. We are looking at houses out west and north of my place now. i could care less if there is a shop on the house when we buy it as id rather build it to what i want, i just want enough room for a 50x60 shop. that will let me put the toy hauler and flat bed in one side, lift on the other, and plenty of room for toys and to work on them. plus fit all my fab equipment and a future Mill.

I would like to go bigger. But they have city ordinances about the square footage compared to your house aswell as roof limit based off your house too.
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Hotrodder

Steel prices are on the rise daily, so if you go with a steel building it will probably be pricy compared to a few months ago. The local steel yard near me said they can only guarantee prices for 24hrs