Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I know all about it but can't talk about it yet. The young genius that did this is a friend. Some of the stuff he does is amazing.
Ben?

If you're talking about anyone associated with DT, I have to ask....did hell freeze over?
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Ben?

If you're talking about anyone associated with DT, I have to ask....did hell freeze over?

Not Ben. I know, I knew this would get interesting in here knowing about what Nick has done in the past with the rod situation. This is very hard to explain without saying too much. Trying to figure out what I can give you guys or not. Iíll know more in a little bit
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Desert Rat

Default 5 speed to 6 speed conversion.

Will the existing kits or the new kit work with a Mike L built transmission? Just keep Mikes springs in the valve body? Iím very interested in this, since I put 4:30 gears in my lly a couple months ago and it would be great to get the rpms back down when running 75 or 80 on the interstate. I do love the low end now though!

Sent from the Arizona desert
2004.5 EC/SB, BDS 4.5" lift, Downpipe, 4" Banks exhaust, Mike L built transmission, Goerend R billet torque converter, Banks cold air kit, Afe turbo feed, Custom stock turbo 10 blade turbine wheel/Wetzel compressor/ported exhaust side, Air Dog 150 lift pump, EFI live with DSP5, tunes by Idaho Rob and an Edge CTS2 Insight for gauges.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Yes, its really me

Cmon guys.... James and Mike are saying the guy behind it is smart..... Pay attention on here and stuff is easy to figure out. Itís that Chavez dude. Canít remember his screen name exactly but itís Chavez something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:52 PM
yerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Is it going to be a more cost effective option?
Before I had to drive like 200k before I saw a return in savings with the other kits and that was back under the Obama full prices lol
No matter who does it or how it's it's done at the end of the day it's a 6 speed conversion.....its not that amazing in the 06 and up trucks it came in and the big fuel economy and other benefits aren't going to be there with 5-6 conversion either. For some it may be just what they want but it's nothing I've ever or ever will push when you weigh the cost vs actual results for the majority of people.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:56 PM
THE FNG

This is painful to read already lol
EFI Live by SS Diesel Tuning
Mike L. trans w/MLR converter Joshs 6spd conversion
11.75@114
Leroys Diesel Performance
2017 NHRDA Super Diesel Champion
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Isuzu Shakes IT

I'm guessing the tcm won't be open for us to make our own changes?
Jesse
Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Heavy & Slow

If the TCM is unlocked, I'll buy in in a second for my GMC, and possibly chuck the Suncoast 6-speed conversion TCM in the Suburban for this as well. The Suburban is a stock (hard parts wise) LB7, so the Suncoast 6 speed kit is great, but I can't run a locked TCM on my built motor. I'm changing things too often that require remapping the shifts to keep street manners.

But I am guessing it is locked, like the rest. I understand why they do it, but I don't have to like it.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 AM
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@LimitlessDiesel View Post
No matter who does it or how it's it's done at the end of the day it's a 6 speed conversion.....its not that amazing in the 06 and up trucks it came in and the big fuel economy and other benefits aren't going to be there with 5-6 conversion either. For some it may be just what they want but it's nothing I've ever or ever will push when you weigh the cost vs actual results for the majority of people.
And thatís the conclusion I always come to thanks for the honest reply Evan
If someone is really worried about mpg they should sell their truck and get a Prius

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Standing Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@LimitlessDiesel View Post
Well, the same thing can be said about trying to run 9s and faster in an Allison. At the end of the day, it's still an Allison; a transmission that was never designed for any kind of racing and provides no benefits at all trying to use it in the field either. It's ancient tech. If someone was trying to build a full tilt race vehicle, an Allison is on the bottom list of recommendations as well. It's not for everyone, but there are still people out there trying to use it. No difference here. Because when you weigh the overall cost of trying to use an Allison to run 8s and faster vs better options out there, the cost effectiveness is just not there either.

But we do it anyways.

'04 GMC LLY

*Build Back In Progress*
505K Miles

'05 GMC LLY
LML Hybrid, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
Fuel Coming soon.
300K Miles

'17 GMC L5P
Peach Habanero Spicy Tuna

Big thanks to Mike L., Ira, James, Nate, Jon, Steve, Nick.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
If the TCM is unlocked, I'll buy in in a second for my GMC, and possibly chuck the Suncoast 6-speed conversion TCM in the Suburban for this as well. The Suburban is a stock (hard parts wise) LB7, so the Suncoast 6 speed kit is great, but I can't run a locked TCM on my built motor. I'm changing things too often that require remapping the shifts to keep street manners.

But I am guessing it is locked, like the rest. I understand why they do it, but I don't have to like it.
If everyone was honest and trust worthy it wouldn't have to be locked. But unfortunately this is not the case.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Hotrodder

For the avg guy this would be great if the price is right. The 5 speed was my biggest complaint with the LLY. On a back road at 55 I was right around 1700-1800 rpm and all was nice and quite. Get on the interstate running 75 and rpm would be around 2200-2300 and a little loud. It was not the end of the world, just a little annoying.

I would pay in the $300-500 range to have gotten a six speed but that's about it.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 AM
yerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez91 View Post
Well, the same thing can be said about trying to run 9s and faster in an Allison. At the end of the day, it's still an Allison; a transmission that was never designed for any kind of racing and provides no benefits at all trying to use it in the field either. It's ancient tech. If someone was trying to build a full tilt race vehicle, an Allison is on the bottom list of recommendations as well. It's not for everyone, but there are still people out there trying to use it. No difference here. Because when you weigh the overall cost of trying to use an Allison to run 8s and faster vs better options out there, the cost effectiveness is just not there either.

But we do it anyways.
I figured you'd have an ornery post and I understand you taking offense because of your time invested and it being your project and I agree on the Allison not being a race transmission because well...it's not. Unfortunately what I said is true and no way of going about is going to increase its effectiveness. But some people will still want just to have it as with many other modifications. I build competition transmissions on the regular and I get not even a handful of 6 speed conversion request a year so that says all I need to know. Unfortunately not to many people want a $20,000+ TH400 swap and 47/48 are far from the best option. This just my opinion from what I've seen and I apologize if you're taking it personal that's not my intention. It's great to have incredibly smart people like yourself in the industry who are able to come up with ideas and actually apply them.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post
For the avg guy this would be great if the price is right. The 5 speed was my biggest complaint with the LLY. On a back road at 55 I was right around 1700-1800 rpm and all was nice and quite. Get on the interstate running 75 and rpm would be around 2200-2300 and a little loud. It was not the end of the world, just a little annoying.

I would pay in the $300-500 range to have gotten a six speed but that's about it.
well thats about half the cost a new 6 speed or 5 speed valve body lol.

i dont think you are getting one
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM
THE FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post
for the avg guy this would be great if the price is right. The 5 speed was my biggest complaint with the lly. On a back road at 55 i was right around 1700-1800 rpm and all was nice and quite. Get on the interstate running 75 and rpm would be around 2200-2300 and a little loud. It was not the end of the world, just a little annoying.

you cant hardly get parts for that price. Imo its more worth the swap if you do a lot of traveling with small or no trailers. Which is what the guy that came up with it does.
EFI Live by SS Diesel Tuning
Mike L. trans w/MLR converter Joshs 6spd conversion
11.75@114
Leroys Diesel Performance
2017 NHRDA Super Diesel Champion