Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default Ad2 165 o-ring kit?

Coming up on 10 years of owning/running my ad2 165 and it started dripping a bit of diesel after work today. 99% sure it just needs o-rings on the fittings and Iím sure in the manifold around the motor to be safe.

Anyone got a part number or know if they make a kit? Little late in the day to call them now. Itís one of the first gen ones when they were first released so no idea if the 4g motor stuff will work. Donít want to really use harbor freight/chinese o rings either lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 PM
gmac32 gmac32 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bellville ohio
Posts: 171
Default

I have a oring kit for that. I will see if it has a part number
__________________
2011 denali gmc 5.5 lift, 35" tires, carillos, cut, coated lml pistons, hot cam 63.5 mm vgt over billet s480, fox shocks, profab manifolds and up pipes, intercooler pipes, 10mm cp3, ported heads, valve springs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2018, 06:42 AM
ZeroGravity58's Avatar
ZeroGravity58 ZeroGravity58 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 858

Default

When my motor burnt up and they sent me a new one they sent new oring kit with it. I'm sure they would send you just the orings.
__________________
09 lmm ccsb ltz, ATP tuning, mpi s480 over stocker, sdp y bridge, big dipper trans, 60 overs, 10mm pump, ppe up pipes and manifold, banks intercooler & exhaust, airdog165, isspro guages, traction bars, the list goes on
01 lb7 red RC/LB 11.58@119 MPH, SOLD
01 lb7 Black CC/LB, SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM
JoshH's Avatar
JoshH JoshH is offline
Daggum farm truck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas!!!
Posts: 12,835

Default

They do make a kit. They send them out with every new pump I've ever installed.
__________________
06 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default

hmmm i wonder if i have some then. i saved the box and shoved it in my attic. Ill check tonight.

That said, since i need to fix it this weekend. You guys think these things are buna or viton seals? i may just pick up an assortment kit and see if i cant piece it together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:31 AM
DAVe3283's Avatar
DAVe3283 DAVe3283 is offline
Heavy & Slow



 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 2,919

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
hmmm i wonder if i have some then. i saved the box and shoved it in my attic. Ill check tonight.

That said, since i need to fix it this weekend. You guys think these things are buna or viton seals? i may just pick up an assortment kit and see if i cant piece it together.
When my motor burned out and I swapped to the 4G, the seals didn't look like viton. I think most of them were normal cheap rubber O-rings, so if you have a seal assortment, you might be good to go. Going to viton shouldn't hurt anything, and isn't much more money.

Are you sure it is one of the O-rings leaking? Mine started leaking shortly before the motor burned out, and what had happened was the shaft seal failed, filling the motor with diesel. The diesel started pushing out through the motor breather, which comes out near the motor to manifold interface, and I initially thought it was just a weeping O-ring, so I ignored it. A few hours of runtime later, the motor seized up.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
When my motor burned out and I swapped to the 4G, the seals didn't look like viton. I think most of them were normal cheap rubber O-rings, so if you have a seal assortment, you might be good to go. Going to viton shouldn't hurt anything, and isn't much more money.

Are you sure it is one of the O-rings leaking? Mine started leaking shortly before the motor burned out, and what had happened was the shaft seal failed, filling the motor with diesel. The diesel started pushing out through the motor breather, which comes out near the motor to manifold interface, and I initially thought it was just a weeping O-ring, so I ignored it. A few hours of runtime later, the motor seized up.
its possible dave. i cant get a real good look up in there as my fuel cooler is tucked up next to it. some days its a drip here and there, others i get a small puddle. its been weeping for about 3 months like this though. maybe longer. i thought it was my fuel cooler fittings about a year ago but made no difference when i tighten them up. never dripped, just a weeped enough to attract dirt back then. I didnt get a puddle till yesterday, just drips the last few weeks. Ive been dailying it since the tracker is um.... bent

truck must not get used enough or it doesnt like "arizona cold weather" because the lower oil pan started leaking, the lift pump leak, got a front end clunk that started, and just had inj 2 connector loose connection on the way to work. my fuel sump needs replacing too as the rheostat on the sender goes wonky at 1/8 tank and lower, best part is i just filled up yesterday and noticed that..... So this weekend ive got some wrenching to do. Going to put the updated fishing tuning plug ends on inj 7 and 2. ive already ice picked inj 7 (just bent the inner metal connector down, didnt punch through it) but rather stop the issue all together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM
DAVe3283's Avatar
DAVe3283 DAVe3283 is offline
Heavy & Slow



 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 2,919

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
its possible dave. i cant get a real good look up in there as my fuel cooler is tucked up next to it. some days its a drip here and there, others i get a small puddle. its been weeping for about 3 months like this though. maybe longer. i thought it was my fuel cooler fittings about a year ago but made no difference when i tighten them up. never dripped, just a weeped enough to attract dirt back then. I didnt get a puddle till yesterday, just drips the last few weeks. Ive been dailying it since the tracker is um.... bent

truck must not get used enough or it doesnt like "arizona cold weather" because the lower oil pan started leaking, the lift pump leak, got a front end clunk that started, and just had inj 2 connector loose connection on the way to work. my fuel sump needs replacing too as the rheostat on the sender goes wonky at 1/8 tank and lower, best part is i just filled up yesterday and noticed that..... So this weekend ive got some wrenching to do. Going to put the updated fishing tuning plug ends on inj 7 and 2. ive already ice picked inj 7 (just bent the inner metal connector down, didnt punch through it) but rather stop the issue all together.
When it rains it pours, right? I just went through all the little detail stuff on the Suburban, so it's fine so far, but my truck decided to open up a couple coolant leaks. Looks like both heater lines started weeping, my turbo thermostat delete plate welds started bubbling up coolant through the powder coat, and my PCV lines are weeping oil through the tube itself. Never seen that before, probably because I used crappy heater line for PCV. Probably the same crappy heater line that's leaking coolant lol

Hopefully your AirDog is just simple O-rings for your schedule's sake. But I am loving the upgraded 4G motor on mine. So quiet!

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
When it rains it pours, right? I just went through all the little detail stuff on the Suburban, so it's fine so far, but my truck decided to open up a couple coolant leaks. Looks like both heater lines started weeping, my turbo thermostat delete plate welds started bubbling up coolant through the powder coat, and my PCV lines are weeping oil through the tube itself. Never seen that before, probably because I used crappy heater line for PCV. Probably the same crappy heater line that's leaking coolant lol

Hopefully your AirDog is just simple O-rings for your schedule's sake. But I am loving the upgraded 4G motor on mine. So quiet!

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk
lol least im not the only one! misery loves company . I cant bitch about mine. its never been "loud". certainly never hear it when the truck is running and honestly the electric fan on the fuel cooler is louder than the pump. its always been quiet in relation to most AD i hear but this one is one of the OG good ones before they changed up the mfg of the motors long ago. i lucked out on that.

AD called me back, got a kit on the way just incase i dont have it or i dont have the right o-rings. They are just normal Buna which seems acceptable for the fuel it sees.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default

So o-ring kit came in yesterday.... Didnt come with the seal that mine is leaking from.




AD says its non-servicable. buddy, i just punched the thing out, its a typical press in seal but with a double seal lip to it (like a crank seal or wheel seal) but with an o-ring backing where the spring would be. Anyhow, they say they are going to send me the whole pump head assembly now. Asked them to next day air AM delivery for tomorrow, waiting on a confirmation email back from them on that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
JoshH's Avatar
JoshH JoshH is offline
Daggum farm truck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas!!!
Posts: 12,835

Default

Does Arizona not have businesses that specialize in seals?
__________________
06 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
DAVe3283's Avatar
DAVe3283 DAVe3283 is offline
Heavy & Slow



 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 2,919

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
So o-ring kit came in yesterday.... Didnt come with the seal that mine is leaking from.

AD says its non-servicable. buddy, i just punched the thing out, its a typical press in seal but with a double seal lip to it (like a crank seal or wheel seal) but with an o-ring backing where the spring would be. Anyhow, they say they are going to send me the whole pump head assembly now. Asked them to next day air AM delivery for tomorrow, waiting on a confirmation email back from them on that.
This is the point where you spend the $50 to get the 4G upgrade. Because even though you got the quietest 1G motor ever, the new one probably won't be.

Are there any part numbers on that seal? I couldn't see any in the photo. I doubt it is custom to their application. Might be nice to document it here in case someone else has the same problem.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 14,835

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Does Arizona not have businesses that specialize in seals?
hell if i know. im going to look now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
This is the point where you spend the $50 to get the 4G upgrade. Because even though you got the quietest 1G motor ever, the new one probably won't be.

Are there any part numbers on that seal? I couldn't see any in the photo. I doubt it is custom to their application. Might be nice to document it here in case someone else has the same problem.
yeah they just called me, im getting a whole 4g AD2 165 now covered by AD and next day AM shipping. i paid shipping, 160 bucks but for a new 165 and needing it for my trip tomorrow, id say i made out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
AZlml's Avatar
AZlml AZlml is online now
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 222
Default

Martin Fluid Power in PHX. It's off Broadway and 40th st. I used to get all my irregular seals for hydraulic cylinders there.
__________________
Bryan
11 CCSB 4x4
Full delete, EFI by Ridgerunner, 5" FloPro, Profab manifolds and up pipes, Wehrli cp3 conversion, 3" downpipe, S&B intake, AD165 4G, DHD tie rod sleeves, 2" rear drop shackles, Rancho RS9000XL
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
TheBac's Avatar
TheBac TheBac is offline
Why do I keep doing this?


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 11,995

Default

*whistling* That shipping bill is gonna be EX-pensive! I sure hope we dont screw it up for you, James.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" -- 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4 12.14@111.15
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the fun little DD
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work


Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors