Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch_less View Post
I probably don't understand BD's suggestion to "wire up" the transfer case to not allow the front differential actuator not to engage. My transfer case is fully manual with no opportunity to electrically control the front differential engagement. But I may be missing something here.
Are you sure its mechanical all the way to the actuator and not just the lever in the cab? It was my understanding that the lever just activated a switch that indicated to the BCM what to do and the 4lo actuator was still electrical. Of course the older ones where fully mechanical abd I'm not sure what year was the transition

If you haven't already, pop under your front end and see if it is wires or linkage to the actuator

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 AM
5th clutch coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by melms23 View Post
I found lowering the idle did wonders for being able to back trailers up nicely in 2wd in my rclb. A little heavier truck like yours would probably be a little smoother backing up with the dual disc clutch.
Melms--that's a great suggestion. I'll ask the diesel technology guys who do the wrenching on my truck to lower idle for me when they do the clutch work for me next month. How much can the idle be lowered without causing problems when not backing?

I'm getting mixed messages about the dual disc clutch. I've been told that if the clutch modification is not done correctly the trailer backing can become more difficult because the clutch can become "on or off" due to the quicker and more powerful engagement the dual discs provide. If the discs are not ceramic then I'm guessing the "on off" may not be as pronounced. Thanks

stock LB7
ZF6, 4 clutches so far
Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 AM
5th clutch coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
Are you sure its mechanical all the way to the actuator and not just the lever in the cab? It was my understanding that the lever just activated a switch that indicated to the BCM what to do and the 4lo actuator was still electrical. Of course the older ones where fully mechanical abd I'm not sure what year was the transition

If you haven't already, pop under your front end and see if it is wires or linkage to the actuator
I've not paid much attention to the part of the truck. But I'll do as you suggest and look for any wiring. My diesel technology drive line guys will know for sure. BTW, my truck is early 02 4WD.

stock LB7
ZF6, 4 clutches so far
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
I like these suggestions. CL and BD suggest using a circulating pump to move fluid from the tranny to a cooler up front. I'd wire it to a switch so I could cut it off in freezing weather until the tranny heats up. I'll need a temperature gauge for the tranny.

I probably don't understand BD's suggestion to "wire up" the transfer case to not allow the front differential actuator not to engage. My transfer case is fully manual with no opportunity to electrically control the front differential engagement. But I may be missing something here.
You could interrupt the wire going to the front diff actuator via a switch. You would need to find out what the proper "resistance" value is and simulate that via your switch. I am not super familiar with the way the BCM knows the front diff is activated but all that happens is the actuator extends and locks in the passenger side stub shaft.

I.E interrupt the circuit when you flip the switch but tell the BCM that all is well and the front diff is engaged.
-Built Motor, Billet S475/87/1.00 T4, Exergy 250% injectors w/ internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump/stock cp3, Goerend J converter, stock shaft built trans, Fuelab low pressure fuel supply, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Bosch Reman Injectors, LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" JAMO Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

plug and play

https://dieselperformance.com/shop/p...1500-4wd-19239
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Melms--that's a great suggestion. I'll ask the diesel technology guys who do the wrenching on my truck to lower idle for me when they do the clutch work for me next month. How much can the idle be lowered without causing problems when not backing?
I was told once to bump the idle up once by a friend to make it easier to take off without killing. I hated it, and made it jerky and hard to keep steady. I found lowering the idle allowed me to ride the clutch more and actually easier taking off and backing up.

Sold: '15 Denali
Sold: '04 rclb lly zf6
Sold: '07 rclb lmm
SDP s475/stock Twisted Tuned
12.1@111 1.79 60ft
Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:

I'm getting mixed messages about the dual disc clutch. I've been told that if the clutch modification is not done correctly the trailer backing can become more difficult because the clutch can become "on or off" due to the quicker and more powerful engagement the dual discs provide. If the discs are not ceramic then I'm guessing the "on off" may not be as pronounced. Thanks
if you go below 475rpm, the truck will start loping. id try around 575-600. 01 lb7 originally came with 600rpm at warm idle but the newest OS updates in 02 bumped the idle to 650-675 for better a/c action at idle.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM
5th clutch coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post

Chevy---That BD Diesel kit looks like exactly what I'm looking for. The installation manual says, "This kit is for both automatic and manual transfer case trucks." The latter is me. Thanks for the lead. I'll definitely check it out.

stock LB7
ZF6, 4 clutches so far