Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Hotrodder

Default Sump or Not

I'm trying to figure out what lift pump to run and if i should do a sump or not. I don't want to have any 1/4 tank issues, but I'm also not crazy about the idea of drilling a hole in my tank. Looking for some good input from others that have gone with a sump or billet pickup etc. This truck will probably never see a bigger turbo and doesn't have any trans work at the moment. I'm leaning heavily towards a Fuel Lab 200 pump.

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Hotrodder

Another thing is one shop has recommended a fass 95 (because that's all they sell) and no sump or pickup modifications. Another shop is saying Fass 165 (for budget route) or Fuel Lab 200 with a sump. Any harm in runnning the Fuel Lab 200 even if its a bit more than I need right now?

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystonelbz View Post
I'm trying to figure out what lift pump to run and if i should do a sump or not. I don't want to have any 1/4 tank issues, but I'm also not crazy about the idea of drilling a hole in my tank. Looking for some good input from others that have gone with a sump or billet pickup etc. This truck will probably never see a bigger turbo and doesn't have any trans work at the moment. I'm leaning heavily towards a Fuel Lab 200 pump.
I've been kicking around the same thing. Since I've lowered my truck 4" it's had me second guessing the sump. On my old truck I ran the ppe pickup and never had any problems. Was thinking about going that route again
09 lmm ccsb ltz, moonshine, mpi s480 over 68mm vgt, sdp y bridge, BigDipper trans, 60 overs, 10mm pump, ppe up pipes and manifold, banks intercooler & exhaust, airdog165, isspro guages, traction bars, the list goes on...Big thanks to BigDipper!
01 lb7 red RC/LB 11.58@119 MPH, SOLD
01 lb7 Black CC/LB, SOLD
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Ive noticed that FASS pumps have been increasing in failures. A few shops have swapped completely to AirDog because of it and are having much better luck.

i would suggest an AD2 165. uses the stock pick up and will provide more than enough fuel for you even if you decided to go to the 900-1000rwhp range. The old addage of the stock pickup being restrictive to 600hp is based on outdated info. that was back when guys used a ton of fuel to drive higher HP numbers. Turbo choices and injector choices have improved vastly and its easy to make well above 600hp on a stock pickup now.

Even if thats not enough, the PPE 5/8" pick up will drop in with a little drilling of the sending unit and gives no 1/4 tank issues. it still uses the stock sump, hence no 1/4 tank issues. ive had my tank to the point the truck was loping from low fuel and it took 34 gallons to fill it up.

if you decide its best to drill a hole in your tank and keep an exposed fuel line to the road, get a sump that returns fuel to its sump. this will help keep cavitation/air out of the lift pump on low tank conditions.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Hotrodder

I have had 2 different pumps, a PPE 165, and Kennedy twin pumps.

The PPE worked, but I just could not get past the noise of the gear pump.

I love my Kennedy twin setup with Cat filters, it provides the fuel, it quiet, and if they fail, I can still drive the truck.

I put a bypass valve on my PPE in case it ever failed and I needed to get home. That is not required with the Kennedy.

I used a billet pickup and 5/8" feed hose for both of the installations and have not had issues, both trucks are/were DD's and I did not have a 1/4 tank problem.

I didn't like the thought of having a sump hanging down...

Black Max, the fun truck:
'03 2500 4x4 CC/LB
Bent Rods, now under construction, its time to put all the saved up parts in....
Special thanks to Pat & Kat McSwain, MikeL, Guy, Trent, and others from here-thank you for the great ideas!
EPR triples

Emma, my DD:
'04 2500 4x4 EC/SB
HTT T4 366 74 .91, 65% SAC's from LDS, 10mm CP3 from Fleece, Trans Kit from Evan, tunes by Mark at Danville
Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Ive noticed that FASS pumps have been increasing in failures. A few shops have swapped completely to AirDog because of it and are having much better luck.

i would suggest an AD2 165. uses the stock pick up and will provide more than enough fuel for you even if you decided to go to the 900-1000rwhp range. The old addage of the stock pickup being restrictive to 600hp is based on outdated info. that was back when guys used a ton of fuel to drive higher HP numbers. Turbo choices and injector choices have improved vastly and its easy to make well above 600hp on a stock pickup now.

Even if thats not enough, the PPE 5/8" pick up will drop in with a little drilling of the sending unit and gives no 1/4 tank issues. it still uses the stock sump, hence no 1/4 tank issues. ive had my tank to the point the truck was loping from low fuel and it took 34 gallons to fill it up.

if you decide its best to drill a hole in your tank and keep an exposed fuel line to the road, get a sump that returns fuel to its sump. this will help keep cavitation/air out of the lift pump on low tank conditions.
I was set on a fass 165, but have been reading alot of negative feedback as well. Are you saying that I can run an AD 165 without a sump or different pickup without issues. I'm most concerned about the truck not starting at or under 1/4 tank. I want to keep the rail full obviously, but don't want to sacrifice dd ability.

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Hotrodder

I run a air dog 165 4G pump with a beans sump, Iíve ran my tank well below 1/4 never have had a problem ,yes I love it pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank allows the fuel pump to work less harder also makes it way quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystonelbz View Post
I was set on a fass 165, but have been reading alot of negative feedback as well. Are you saying that I can run an AD 165 without a sump or different pickup without issues. I'm most concerned about the truck not starting at or under 1/4 tank. I want to keep the rail full obviously, but don't want to sacrifice dd ability.
you can put the ad2 165 right on without issue. its meant to be a bolt on/click in system where there is no drilling for a pick up or any of that. it uses the factory pick up and lines from the tank. your injectors and cp3 will be the only thing holding you back fueling wise once thats installed.
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Hotrodder

I had a fass 95 and it took a crap on me. so I bought a fass 165. and I am running a G&R diesel sump with no problems. I had the 1/4 tank issue as well without the sump.
2012 LML CCSB 2WD Danville TUNED WITH DSP5, WC FAB high flow intake bundle, PCV REROUTE, PPE UP PIPES AND MANIFOLDS, 3Ē DOWNPIPE, 5Ē MBRP STRAIGHT PIPE. FASS 165, G&R SUMP. COGNITO LEVELING KIT PITMAN AND IDLER ARM, RUNNING FOX SHOCKS,NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, AND SOTA RIMS. STOCK TRANS, STOCK NOZZLES. BLACKED OUT TAIL LIGHTS AND 3RD BRAKE LIGHT. 6K HID HEAD LIGHTS. DANVILLE 65mm FLEECE POWERFLO 750 CP3.
EPC FOOLER

Garrett
Old 06-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
you can put the ad2 165 right on without issue. its meant to be a bolt on/click in system where there is no drilling for a pick up or any of that. it uses the factory pick up and lines from the tank. your injectors and cp3 will be the only thing holding you back fueling wise once thats installed.
I'm obviously leaning away from the fass 165, but would that same be said for a fass?
Also any experience with the Fuel Lab pumps? I've heard good things, but seems like there aren't nearly as many of them out there.

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Old 06-05-2019, 10:13 AM

i believe FASS is on the same board as AirDog with bolt on/click in units. i dont know as ive never been a FASS guy. ive always done AirDogs.

the fuel lab unit will require more work to get them setup and working. how much? not sure as ive not installed one yet so i could be off but based on the few installs ive seen on the net, they dont look as comprehensive as the airdog/fass. take that with a grain of salt though
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Hotrodder

Iíve put over 100k miles on my AD2 165 and never had any issues with it, and have never had quarter tank issues. Yeah, Iíve ran the truck out of fuel already. this was on LML, I donít know if the stock pick up on the older gen trucks are different and cause issues or not.

Just picked up a Fuelab 200, because I wanted a bigger one. It comes with a mounting bracket, two plates, and bolts long enough to mount it on the frame. Also comes with all the fittings that you need. All the fittings are push-lok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Hotrodder

been running a fass 165 for about 4 years with beans sump . slightly lifted but ive been in some wild situations and have never had anything come close to hitting the sump. Dont think id want one on a lowered truck though. no low tank issues and can run the tank way down. Ive never had the balls to run it past 50 miles with light on and then it still only took 22 gallons .

04 Silverado SS - 10.7@130 on 22's 440 lsx twin turbo/4l80 AWD (SOLD)
09 CTS-V bolt ons and carbon fiber 792 rwhp on e85 XXXX rwhp on the bottle
18 Audi S4 PP -loaded
07 GMC LBZ CCSB LT3- danville 3794 stg 2 ,Magnaflow 3"downpipe, magnaflow 5" turbo back in black,atp efi dsp5, custom coil over /tb delete ,deaver 1/2 ton 4" springs , denali hid retro , focal/jl audio tw3's ,bmf's, Mike L Trans , fass 150 titanium sumped , 6 gallon air , viair 450c , k3la ,cts2 w lots of add ons.
55 Belaire , Hotrod in progress , airbagged, driver with no power!
12 Ram 5500 -Kelderman 4 link rear/front , accuair elevel ,service truck #CHASETRUCKMOBILE
Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 PM
I like turtles

Fuelab is by far the best pump on the market in my opinion. The high/low options is tits. Super quite.

The most common set up we sell at shop is airdog raptor 4g 100, cat adapter and Donaldson filter. Have yet had one fail me. Dont gel up like others. Easy to install. Super quite and cheap.

No need for sump in my opinion. Just another thing to leak with minimal gains
Old 06-05-2019, 05:48 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
Fuelab is by far the best pump on the market in my opinion. The high/low options is tits. Super quite.

The most common set up we sell at shop is airdog raptor 4g 100, cat adapter and Donaldson filter. Have yet had one fail me. Dont gel up like others. Easy to install. Super quite and cheap.

No need for sump in my opinion. Just another thing to leak with minimal gains
I agree with it being another thing to leak. My biggest concern is the truck not starting or sputtering with 1/4 tank, not so much the performance aspect. Is the raptor flow thru in the event that if fails?

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves