Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #61  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Bdsankey's Avatar
Bdsankey Bdsankey is offline
Gearhead


 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin
Posts: 928

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
just saying, the lift needed to reach the filters/Pump is the same for both and vertical runs are almost negligible when it comes to pressure or vacuum needed to move the fuel for priming

I don't want anyone else reading this thread thinking that somehow the weight of the fuel in the tank is going to create pressure to help prime with a sump when it wont. that's all
Correct.
__________________
Current Rides:
1) Toy: 2005 LLY ECSB, Leather, Sunroof
-1340hp/2200ft-lbs @ ATS Diesel (06/04/19)
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support


2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 AM
graystonelbz's Avatar
graystonelbz graystonelbz is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Prior Lake,MN
Posts: 293
Default

so the consensus is stick with a fass or AD 165 and the race plug vs shimming is debatable?
__________________

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 AM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Posts: 3,372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
usually the pumps inlet is mid tankish. either way, im agree with you as once the fuel is below the pump inlet, its no longer gravity fed.

its really a mute point for the fass, airdog, and fuel lab. they have no issues under a draw situation. the Kennedy's and other fuel pumps like it (holley and so on) CAN have issues drawing "uphill" so to speak as they are not really designed for it.

the only time i worry about a sump, pump design and line routing is in a race application. You have much more freedom to setup the system to work 100% correct since your constraints change IE: could use a different chassis, fuel tank/cell, pump location, line location, no bed, and so on.

again, this "benefit" is extremely minor since the fass, airdog, and fuel lab all have the ability to use the stock pick up (no cutting or dropping of the tank) and will supply enough fuel for 1k hp.

Any lift pump that returns fuel should not use the factory pick up. Either modify it or put on a sump. Even if you’re holding rail pressure, even if you’re making 500hp. The factory pick up is too small.
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
10.98@124mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is online now
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 15,889

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystonelbz View Post
so the consensus is stick with a fass or AD 165 and the race plug vs shimming is debatable?
yes and pick which ever is most convenient for you for the FPRV situation
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is online now
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 15,889

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
Any lift pump that returns fuel should not use the factory pick up. Either modify it or put on a sump. Even if you’re holding rail pressure, even though if you’re making 500hp. The factory pick up is too small.
i disagree. if you are not dropping pressure because you are not using more volume than the stock pick up can provide, the stock pickup is fine and quite a few guys have shown that to true to the HP as i stated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Posts: 3,372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
i disagree. if you are not dropping pressure because you are not using more volume than the stock pick up can provide, the stock pickup is fine and quite a few guys have shown that to true to the HP as i stated.
I picked up 4mph from modifying the factory pickup. My truck held rail pressure just fine. LMM’s pickup is 5/16’s. LML’s pick up should be modified even stock power. I tested it by measuring lift pump pressure at the port past the factory filter.
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
10.98@124mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is online now
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 15,889

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
I picked up 4mph from modifying the factory pickup. My truck held rail pressure just fine. LMM’s pickup is 5/16’s. LML’s pick up should be modified even stock power. I tested it by measuring lift pump pressure at the port past the factory filter.
then it wasnt just the pick up that netted you the high mph if you are holding rail just fine. the LMM's ive replaced were the same as the previous years. that was a 2010 and a 2008. Regardless, the OP has a LBZ. Thats what i am giving information towards, not all vehicles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Mike L is my role model. I want to be like him when I grow up.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 AM
TROJAN366's Avatar
TROJAN366 TROJAN366 is offline
Gold Rush

 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MASS
Posts: 2,481

Default

Late to the party but my truck has been running an AD165 with a PPE pickup and it maintains positive supply pressure with an LBZ pump+10mm stroker and 200s.
__________________
05 LLY CC/SB
Roderiques ATV Built Motor, HSP Twins, NLX88/Danville72R,
S&S 300s, S&S 10mm & LBZ, Tuned by Danville Performance
Suncoast Competition trans and Goerend Converter
1125hp/1628lbft 10.52@132

Thanks to
Chris @ Roderiques ATV in Westport MA
Mark Broviak @ Danville
Joe and Dave @ HSPdiesel
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 AM
duramaxzak's Avatar
duramaxzak duramaxzak is offline
Wanna be puller!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,215
Default

I had the Fuelab 200 on my pull truck with a bypass regulator and never had any issue keeping up to 2 10mm pumps and 150 injectors. Fuelab's also have brushless motors, so less parts to wear out. My current truck has twin Kennedy pumps on it right now, but I will be replacing them with a Fuelab this winter.

Greystonelbz send me a PM and I can recommend a good shop in MN...
__________________
- ZAK

2011 CHEVY 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison LTZ

2005 CHEVY 2500HD RCLB 2WD Duramax/Allison

2002 GMC 2500HD RCLB Duramax/allison 2.6 puller
Special thanks to:
- Danville performance, Mark.
- Suncoast transmission's, Andrew.
- Wehrli custom fab, Jason.
- Profab, Rick
- Turbo performance, Levi.
- HSP, Joe and Dave.
- SoCal diesel.
- Wagler competition, Jeramy.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 AM
graystonelbz's Avatar
graystonelbz graystonelbz is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Prior Lake,MN
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxzak View Post
I had the Fuelab 200 on my pull truck with a bypass regulator and never had any issue keeping up to 2 10mm pumps and 150 injectors. Fuelab's also have brushless motors, so less parts to wear out. My current truck has twin Kennedy pumps on it right now, but I will be replacing them with a Fuelab this winter.

Greystonelbz send me a PM and I can recommend a good shop in MN...
pm sent
__________________

SSDT DSP 5
MBRP stainless 4 inch
AFE stage 2
Braces & Sleeves
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors