Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
Keep hoping. Carbon is not that strong. I would not keep running it. Somethings wrong. Period
What could it hurt at this point to run it? Is there something I could hurt worst?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:41 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Joe View Post
What could it hurt at this point to run it? Is there something I could hurt worst?

You fill the crank case with fuel, kill the bearings and destroy the rest of the engine
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 PM
I like turtles

Quote:
Just send it.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Gearhead

I have received some stellar advice on this forum in the past, what changed. I will fill my crankcase full of diesel, destroy my engine because I have no compression in one cylinder! Why? I dont have any leaks.Hell I just installed new injectors!
Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Gearhead

And while i'm at it, Duramax on Fire, you don't have to try, your a natural.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 PM
I like turtles

Just go drive it. It will fix itself.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
I have received some stellar advice on this forum in the past, what changed. I will fill my crankcase full of diesel, destroy my engine because I have no compression in one cylinder! Why? I dont have any leaks.Hell I just installed new injectors!

You asked “what’s the worse that could happen”, I answered that question with a very viable worse case.

You either had a piston on the verge of cracking and finally did. Injector stuck wide open and washed the cylinder wall down. Lost an injector cup or seal for the injector from not tightening the injector down well enough or a host of other things.

Don’t jump on us when you want to drive a truck and hope it fixes its self. As it’s been said before, you need to get your ass back into the truck and find out WHY you have no compression
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
You asked “what’s the worse that could happen”, I answered that question with a very viable worse case.

You either had a piston on the verge of cracking and finally did. Injector stuck wide open and washed the cylinder wall down. Lost an injector cup or seal for the injector from not tightening the injector down well enough or a host of other things.

Don’t jump on us when you want to drive a truck and hope it fixes its self. As it’s been said before, you need to get your ass back into the truck and find out WHY you have no compression
Thats what I wanted to hear. Your saying that an injector cup or injector could cause no compession? I have tryed to figure out how that can happen. All injectors were torqued to spec, how can the injector or cup cause a leak in the combustion chamber?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 PM
Gearhead

If a new injector is suck wide open it could cause a burnt piston or wash out a cylider wall, correct?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Heavy & Slow

When I built my motor, it idled for probably 30 seconds, then started missing out the exhaust. Something???? (never found it) had jammed in a valve and was wedging it open. Still had some compression, but a bad leak through the valve. Hit it with compressed air through the glow plug hole while spinning the engine over by hand and after a couple rotations, it blew the debris out the exhaust and sealed. Been perfect ever since.

What was the point of that story? The point is a piece of carbon, or debris from injector install, or whatever, absolutely CAN stick a valve open.

Now, at this point, I'd stop speculating as to what could have caused 0 compression and get on to actually finding out. This isn't actually too hard, especially if the valve covers are off so you know if the valves are open or not.
  1. Spin the motor by hand until the problem cylinder is at TDC (more or less) with both sets of valves closed.
    If the valve covers are off, verify they have 0.012" lash or more so you KNOW they are closed.
  2. Spray compressed air in to the glow plug hole.
  3. Listen/feel where the air is coming out of. (Might have to remove the oil cap.)
If the air is coming back out the intake, you have an intake valve not sealing.
If the air is coming out the exhaust, it is an exhaust valve.
If the air is coming out the oil cap, you probably have a cracked piston or piston ring gone MIA. Possibly a lifted injector, but not likely.
If the air comes out the coolant tank, you have an injector cup lifted.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:38 PM

I suppose it's possible you may have a bent or broken intake valve pushrod. If the intake valves aren't opening it can possibly give no compression on a cylinder. Do a leakdown test on number 7. Any way you look at it the valve cover has to come off.
02 GMC 2500HD, EC/LB, LB7, 2wd, 6" lift, 35" tires. ds LML manifold, PPE 260 hp tune, boost valve, race plug, Airdog 165 lift pump, CAT filter mod, mechanical egt and boost gauges, SB intake, high flow turbo horn, ported turbo exhaust housing, kbd drop in wheel, Banks Bighead wastegate, egr blocked, intake heater delete, PPE downpipe, 5 " exhaust w/ cat delete, Mike L built trans w/ Goerend R converter. Levi's heat blankets

7-6-17...New headgaskets, studs, Fed heads, and LDS replacement injectors @ 202,239 Miles
Old 04-15-2018, 04:01 AM
Hotrodder

Unless it's an egr motor there will not be any carbon build up. Time to pull it apart

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Beans Sump
Leveled w/ drop shackles
RidgeRunner Tunes
More to come

Rip zf6 swapped lly
Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:

DON'T drive the truck until you figure out what happened. DON'T even start it. You'll hurt it much worse. Do you really want that expense b/c you were impatient?

Dave gave great advice to help your diagnosing. Get the valve covers back off and get started. Good luck. Hope its something simple.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Gearhead

Thank you Dave, what you described is exactly what mine did, your diagnostics are very helpful. This was an EGR engine, I did the delete while I was in there.I think my next move maybe to remove the exhaust manifold and have a look up the exhaust port with my camera. Not looking forward to a complete teardown!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerry View Post
I suppose it's possible you may have a bent or broken intake valve pushrod. If the intake valves aren't opening it can possibly give no compression on a cylinder. Do a leakdown test on number 7. Any way you look at it the valve cover has to come off.
and we have a winner!
Pulled it apart, broken pushrod on intake. Pulled the heads, with flashlight held just right I can see a faint impression of the intake valves on top of the piston. I somehow screwed up on valve adjustment!
Engine still had original crimped headgaskets, ordered new "c" gaskets and new bolts, hope that cures everything.
Anybody have a suggestion on a good machine shop in the Phoenix area for my heads?