Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budneeds2beers View Post
True you wont gain much oil in two inches but from a 6” to a 10 or 12? Plus the size of the reservoir. Your right about the rear it will never fade compared to the front but the oil(5wt what fox recommends) will get hot and loose to much viscosity over time. I mean if you put 300 miles on a set of 8”x2.5 in any local desert they would be fine? That oil would be smoked in the front.
For a truck that lives 75% of it life on road 6-8” is great probably wouldn’t have to rebuild them for five years. All I’m saying is for what my plans are I dont think its enough. As for the rear no bed cage still need a truck. Just deavers 6” lift pack and a 10” or 12” bypass if it can fit. Im not looking for monster travel just a smooth 10-11” strapped, that is solid for those heavy footed ahh shit moments alot can be accomplished with 10” of smooth,solid..... travel. I plan on using this more these days and retiring the race truck.

James im not trying to get into a pissing match with you but you have this knowledge that im looking for and this is what im into and I don’t get to talk to anybody else about it. Dont get me wrong I really like to go fast and read alot of technical issues but offroad is where its at for me suspension and electrical everything else is a huge bonus.

Hey op. How long did it take you to cut those brackets out and what did you use? (Tool wise) how much did it suck???
Bud, i dont think you are considering all the variables i posted. Remember, there are two different fox shock oils and one will substantially stand up to temps much better than the other but the shock better have vitron seals to do it. Resi means nothing for cooling, there is very little oil in the resi and it does not cycle through the shock. Longer shock is like adding a deep pan to the Allison, all it does is prolong hot temp from happening as quick as before but it still will happen and take longer too cool down. It is not the length that you should be looking at if you want to keep things working well. if it was, desert racers wouldnt be going with larger and larger piston diameters on shocks. i would have no issue running these shocks for 300 miles in the dirt because i know where the limitations are and its not in the shocks. they will last that amount of time just fine. Ive logged more miles than that in the dirt on 2.0 coilovers on the front end of a dmax that was driven as hard as you can drive one without bending the frame or losing control arms. Those coilovers lasted WAY beyond my expectations and never had one leak nor did it burn the oil up in the testing sessions. there was some very unconventional shock valving going on inside and other tricks done to make them work though. in the end, coil springs were my actual issue, not the shock for a bolt in stock height replacement. Now if you wanted to get that truck to bomb 2-3ft whoops, it wouldnt happen but you wont get that from one of these trucks without alot more wheel travel, way more shock/s, and no drop brackets or very small ones with extreme reinforcement to the frame rails/crossmembers. by that point, all this about 2.5 shocks and what we are discussing is a mute point.

you are concerning yourself with fade WAY too much. Fade isnt even going to be your main combatant by the time you have that much valving in the shock. The shock doesnt care how much weight is up front, it only cares about shock shaft velocity. what i meant by the rear end is not that it WONT fade, its that you will be limited on travel. This means you either trade comfort for speed or vise versa and you will be limited on speed. the rear end will hold you up from going fast enough to use the front end to its full potential. And if its all on a lift kit using drop brackets, that will be the next weak point/hold up before shock fade.

If you are fading shocks under these conditions, its time to look at shock tuning and experimenting or change to something else you feel will work better.

Honestly, in the end, if it works for you, Screw it! in suspension, there are a few ways to skin a cat and if what you do works for you, then it doesnt really matter but i know what works for me and i know where the potential is or isnt. im always trying different stuff whether its dmax related, cummins, sand car, rzr's, tracker or spit balling ideas with other shock tuners. sooooo much to learn in this section its ridiculous. tuning a shock is like tuning an ECM, you can get 2 vehicles to run sections just as fast and as the other but it doesnt mean you both have identical tuning inside. Just from what i posted, it doesnt mean you CAN NOT do what you would like to do. im simply stating the draw backs of what you may think you are gaining from it. if you want to run a 10-12" stroke shock, you certainly can and it will do its job and give you a big shit eating grin off road. You just asked why i say its a waste to go so big so i gave the reasoning behind it.

EDIT: Fabtech got a 4" shock to fit inbetween the UCA with a custom UCA setup. There should be no reason a 3.0 coilover cant fit. Nets you better springs to holding that weight as well. you already are cutting the stock mount out so may as well go that route assuming you truly feel the 2.5 wont do what you want it to.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4

Last edited by Chevy1925; 07-05-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Hotrodder

Well I learned a lot more about shocks than I ever thought I would...I have nothing to contribute, but good read any way

4' MBRP SS
Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Aka Mike Honcho....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budneeds2beers View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 07-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Hotrodder

I never got to finish a reply so I will now that I have a few minutes. I used a 2.5 because I feel the size was good for a primary on road truck that will see some off road use but not daily. Overall goal was a comfy ride on the street with ability to hit dips and ca roads without worry. I did swap springs from a 16" 3.0" 700lb spring too a 18" 3.0" 800 lb spring and it was about perfect for height setting and the amount of preload I had to set 1.25" with internal shaft mounted bump stops. This will limit travel too 10" total which is plenty for this trucks use with a quality ride. Going to play with psi from 150~ psi and see how it goes with a fluted valve setup . The coil bind was calculated but measurements also changed with the lower coil over mount changed from the stock too a custom mount I made that moved the shock toward to ball joint 1" in total. So from what I recall I was at 21" from pivot too center of tire and about 10" from pivot to shock mount. Going from 9" too 10" changed about 200 lbs of spring needed while going from 8* to 10/11*~* angle . It makes the shock length longer to achieve the same height stance but reduces the amount of spring needed to hold the weight up (sacrifices travel). I will be tryi g both to see what is better for daily use and if I will use the added travel on the street or not. I'll be posting more results when accomplished. I have done my homework on suspension angles and how compounding shock angles work. I did pass geometry best in my class if that means anything.
I own and operate a mobile diesel repair business that does custom work as well from ls engines to custom off road utvs. I just finished a 18 can am x3 with everything under the sun including all new radius arms , custom valved stock suspension with new springs and much more .

I have followed chevy1927 for a while. I've learned many things from his posts as well. He is a great asset to this website and general base for many searches I have made on google lead to his posts. I'm glad he chimed in and voiced his opinion on the matter. Kudos to making a bolt in coil over , to me that is a better choice to 90% of the guys who want a bolt in coil over conversion.
I would have done that if I had no lift and I didnt buy a set of 2.5×8" coil overs brand new for 400 cash. That was the key factor in me completing this . After all said and done i have less than 1k into this swap with none of my time compensated.
I'm a believer in overbuilt vs built just enough. These towers are already over built and I added to that. I have many hours behind the mask ,scars and burns , and even certs to prove it. That means nothing when it comes to engineering something to standards of an oem. Which this setup would not be plain and simple. It would involve different shock angle and much more that i wont get into.
The fact I, could reverse this to stock if wanted doesn't mean it would be easy but can be done in a day. I cut everything off in straight cuts and marked and measured accordingly. I could also install this from a stock truck to small cradle left like I have. Being only 4" this is all I'd feel comfortable using to actually go off road and put through some harsher conditions. I will report my conclusion in the coming weeks to pass as it is not my DD . I also have a 5500 ram that use for daily work that weighs 20k lbs dry and has all kelderman/custom suspension due to hd weight. It rides like a real Cadillac and hate to say ,nice as my dmax wishes but without the power. Just a different beast with a different purpose. It's how I made my business name, Chase truck mobile. Back to the topic and I've added a few pics with the new springs before I left home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

04 Silverado SS - 10.7@130 on 22's 440 lsx twin turbo/4l80 AWD (SOLD)
09 CTS-V bolt ons and carbon fiber 792 rwhp on e85 XXXX rwhp on the bottle
14 BMW 335i m-sport - jb4/flex fuel (wifes)
07 GMC LBZ CCSB LT3- danville 3794 stg 2 ,Magnaflow 3"downpipe, magnaflow 5" turbo back in black,atp efi dsp5, cognito 4" NTBD w Fox ,deaver mini pack, denali hid retro , focal/jl audio tw3's ,bmf's, Mike L Trans , fass 150 titanium sumped , 6 gallon air , viair 450c , k3la ,cts2 w lots of add ons.
55 Belaire , Hotrod in progress , airbagged, driver with no power!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Coil over converted lbz with cognito uca

You did a nice job chase. Really the only thing I’d have concern about now is tower flex from hard off roading but that’s nothing an engine brace wouldn’t take care of. I would run much more than 150psi in resi pressure with shock fully extended as well.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4

Last edited by Chevy1925; 07-08-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Shits broke

You guys got me wanting to lift my truck now

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Aka Mike Honcho....

X2. No bump or strap? Looks nice! Cant wait to do mine.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Hotrodder

ill update now ive logged miles. The springs settled and ended up 1.5" pre load on the 800 lb springs at ride height. im sitting right at 42.5" to fender in the front with 295/60/20 tires (~34.5"). Just got the truck back from alignment and i am nearly maxed out on the adjusters and all the way tight with rare parts tie rods. tracks straight now , has a bit more front end body roll than with the torsions but is much softer. I ended up throwing some green on the duramax truck now also. added a radiance light bar with green back light that i have on with the ignition on circuit and edge cts2 screen for light bar control.

now im considering linking the rear but not sure ill pull the trigger. It will probably be when i find a steal on a set of 2.5x10" coil overs. Ive done some drawing and it looks like it would be pretty easy to do actually. Just expensive in material no matter which way you go. Id like to use 4130 over d.o.m. but its 2x the cost. Just in rod end/bushings from ballistic it will cost 400 to 4 link with a pan hard . plus adding brackets for bags to still be able to tow.

07 GMC LBZ CCSB LT3- danville 3794 stg 2 ,Magnaflow 3"downpipe, magnaflow 5" turbo back in black,atp efi dsp5, cognito 4" NTBD w Fox ,deaver mini pack, denali hid retro , focal/jl audio tw3's ,bmf's, Mike L Trans , fass 150 titanium sumped , 6 gallon air , viair 450c , k3la ,cts2 w lots of add ons.

Last edited by 04chase; 08-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Hotrodder

Ill add some, with some added time on this truck. The front is settled and seems happy but i have had noted that arm bushing dont stand a chance. Both the oem and cognito bushings are wearing quickly from the torsional loads being applied . I am making all new arm bushings from delrin. Thats not to bad but id like the rear to be able to travel the same amount or more with the ability to DD like a caddy and even tow when needed. Not very easy to have something that will do this without some changes being made everytime to the truck. So i had considered a link setup ,but then once costs and work involved was factored. The purpose of this truck was to be able to offroad better , and still be a 3/4 Ton diesel.

I finally got these components.
-deaver f87 1/2 ton 4" springs
-rough stuff HD anti wrap kit
-air bags with pinned mounts for quick install
-fox 2.5 bypass shocks
.25 wheel spacers

With a 5" exhaust and stock fuel tank ,there isnt much room to fit new shock mounts and the big 2" dom arm that will be just off the pumpkin on the passenger side. The axle tubes have been welded already. Ive already seen some contact from the driveshaft to the k3la so it will be moved.

Im still determining the shock setup, not sure which legnth and valving will be used.

I did also add a fox steering stabilizer. It is slightly longer than stock but on my truck the most compressed mine has been is the length the new fox stabilizer was compressed. So a tapered bolt is needed to bolt the eye of the new stabilizer to the centerlink.

I also have added a hd hood and will be getting some paint done and shown what sulastic shackles look like after 15k miles on the highway.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Hotrodder

Looks mean as F! Nice job Chase. Are you field service?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Looks mean as F! Nice job Chase. Are you field service?

yes sir, started my own thing about 2 years ago and been working every day since. hard work, long hours, just enough to get by. but i do make my own scheduele and work on what i want. I honestly expected it to be a little easier, but in time it will. One truck will be two this time next year.
I do most class 5-8 trucks , primarily car haulers and telecom. my experience is telecom and boom/lift trucks , seems to be the best pay being specialty so trying to stay where the best income and least resistance is. Ill change oil until i die if it pays the bills. I did build a very nice service truck for my self though. not a Dmax but a 12 5500 Ram with lots of upgrades(kelderman 4 link and front air ride with accuair elevel control, custom stereo i did with a fiberglass center console for sub . fridge in cab, EFI bobcat 250, 3 cylinder eaton compressor, 420DD Gates crimper, Autocrane 3202 with outriggers i built into the cabinet structure in the rear. To many custom touched to recall now. Ill never do it again unless i buy new.

To the Duramax, i installed new leafs yesterday, travel with no shock in the rear is at 12" with the Deavers from ride height to full droop plus the 4-6" inches up travel. will be using some 32" long fox shocks with 14" travel . will be moving the passenger shock to the rear of the axle for room for the trac bar arm.

Made a few new bushings for front arms from delrin. Rubber dont last on this truck.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 AM

oooohhh that leaf separation! dont dont dont let them do that. that will snap a main leaf quickly.

you need to pull the leaf pack down to the main leaf only, stick a block of wood the same thickness as the leafs you pulled under the main leaf between the axle and cycle the suspension. 2 reasons for this, one you dont want the leafs going inverted arch before full bump (will kill the arch and then the leafs) or no more than 1" into the negative arch and two, you need to see where the shackle is cycling. the stock shackle is short and is stopping your down travel and may hinder your up travel or bind the spring.

that axle probably needs to be strapped up 2-3" so the shackle is not hitting its own mount and causing the leaf separation.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old Today, 09:28 AM
Hotrodder

Strapped the rear since the shocks were limiting the rear . They will never see full droop unless rolled off a cliff. The front is no where near what rear can do. The addition of the anti axle wrap bar has dramatically increased stability . Feels like i added a sway bar almost. Though it will now sit slightly low on the driver side from the added weight and low spring rate.

This isnt a long travel truck by any means. It can haul ass on dirt roads and hit minor bumps at speed while maintaining control. Exactly what i was after. Now to get this hood painted and add the bags.

I ended up strapping the rear end just before max shock extension which is about 5-6" before max droop.