Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-23-2020, 01:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
The lly-lmm injector removal tool is worthless imop. They either come out by hand or are seized in place with carbon and soot. I broke my removal tool and shit canned it. Best tool for stuck injectors is a slide hammer with a universal socket and a injector nut welded together or a lug nut. I guess the obs trucks lug thread is the same as the injectors but I havenít verified it.
Iíve had the opposite reaction. Iíve had nothing but good luck from mine.

Current Rides:
1) Toy: 2005 LLY ECSB, Leather, Sunroof
-1340hp/2200ft-lbs @ ATS Diesel (06/04/19)
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, F1 Diesel 275% Inj, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend AR Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Cast S475/96/1.10 T6 Over Stock IHI, FASS 150,4" Exhaust, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, "Budget" Motor, Big Oil Cooling, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
Old 03-23-2020, 01:35 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
The lly-lmm injector removal tool is worthless imop. They either come out by hand or are seized in place with carbon and soot. I broke my removal tool and shit canned it. Best tool for stuck injectors is a slide hammer with a universal socket and a injector nut welded together or a lug nut. I guess the obs trucks lug thread is the same as the injectors but I havenít verified it.
same here. best tool i made was that slide hammer setup.
James

2002 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/6sp alli "The Limo"

2020 L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/10sp alli "The New Limo" staying stock........ish

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Oughta Know Better

14x1.5 lug nut threads right on the feed of a lly for sure. Had to make the slide hammer setup on the last one I did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeG View Post
Look something like this? Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So turns out 2 rods were bent.... Cylinder 5 is very obvious while cylinder 4 is a little more difficult to see but does have a slight tweak.

As for replacement rods I am wondering which route to go, I don't plan on turning it up anymore than it is (700hp area). I found a good used set of LBZ rods which sound like they were in a stock truck with 160k on it when removed. Lincoln diesel offers the LML rods for a pretty good price... Does anyone know the actual differences between these two rods?

Also the pistons in my engine look really good, cylinder 5 piston did contact the crank just barely. Should I be concerned about reusing them with new rings?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91026536_629374567912598_5727763932064514048_n.jpg (162.6 KB, 16 views)
2004.5 LLY CCSB Suncoast G-MAX 5 with Precision converter, Energy trans mount, AAM Torsen carrier, DHD transfer case brace, Big Chevy Hitch Trac bars, MBRP down pipe to straight 5 inch diamond eye to 7 inch MBRP tip, 4 inch bills custom intake with S&B oiled filter, S&B intake horn, AD II 165, Ported fuel rail fittings, DRP fuel rail plug, DRP egr delete, LB7 passenger side up-pipe, DRP PCV re-route, Edge CS monitor with EGT probe, Moog Problem solver pitman and idler arm, Cognito PISK, Fab-tech tie rods

Duramaxtuner Built Trans Tunes
Old 03-30-2020, 09:58 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LB7yz View Post
So turns out 2 rods were bent.... Cylinder 5 is very obvious while cylinder 4 is a little more difficult to see but does have a slight tweak.

As for replacement rods I am wondering which route to go, I don't plan on turning it up anymore than it is (700hp area). I found a good used set of LBZ rods which sound like they were in a stock truck with 160k on it when removed. Lincoln diesel offers the LML rods for a pretty good price... Does anyone know the actual differences between these two rods?

Also the pistons in my engine look really good, cylinder 5 piston did contact the crank just barely. Should I be concerned about reusing them with new rings?
IMO if you're going to rebuild it I would highly recommend a SoCal budget rod. While they're more expensive, you definitely get some added reassurance. If the pistons aren't in bad shape (high PTW clearance) then you can likely reuse them unless they are obliterated by the crank.

Current Rides:
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, F1 Diesel 275% Inj, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend AR Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
-Cast S475/96/1.10 T6 Over Stock IHI, FASS 150,4" Exhaust, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, "Budget" Motor, Big Oil Cooling, Banks iDash 1.8 Monitoring System
Old 03-30-2020, 10:03 AM

cyl 5 for sure should have had the piston kiss the crank. no broke bits or cracks from it? mine broke a piece off.

the actual difference has never been proven. its been said about 5-10% improvement over LBZ/LMM but ive seen both make the same power with no issue.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Hotrodder

theres a very small "smear" of aluminum on the edge of the piston. It is not near as bad as IKEG's photo. I can get pictures later. I think I am going to pick up the used set of LBZ rods and balance the assembly.

Is it worth deliping my pistons? Should I be concerned with the higher 17.5:1 compression ratio with my LLY pistons? I can get a new set of loaded MAHLE pistons for $800 but I believe these are factory replacement pistons that would still be at that 17.5:1?
2004.5 LLY CCSB Suncoast G-MAX 5 with Precision converter, Energy trans mount, AAM Torsen carrier, DHD transfer case brace, Big Chevy Hitch Trac bars, MBRP down pipe to straight 5 inch diamond eye to 7 inch MBRP tip, 4 inch bills custom intake with S&B oiled filter, S&B intake horn, AD II 165, Ported fuel rail fittings, DRP fuel rail plug, DRP egr delete, LB7 passenger side up-pipe, DRP PCV re-route, Edge CS monitor with EGT probe, Moog Problem solver pitman and idler arm, Cognito PISK, Fab-tech tie rods

Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Vendor

Quote:
theres a very small "smear" of aluminum on the edge of the piston. It is not near as bad as IKEG's photo. I can get pictures later. I think I am going to pick up the used set of LBZ rods and balance the assembly.

Is it worth deliping my pistons? Should I be concerned with the higher 17.5:1 compression ratio with my LLY pistons? I can get a new set of loaded MAHLE pistons for $800 but I believe these are factory replacement pistons that would still be at that 17.5:1?
The mahle factory replacement piston will be the same compression ratio as factory. You would have to machine them or step up to the motorsport piston to drop compression ratio.

Current Rides:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM
Hotrodder

Are the factory LLY pistons MAHLE? If I was to replace the one piston that hit the crank, would the MAHLE factory replacement be the answer?

Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:

yes, very much worth delipping.

something you need to consider is piston to wall clearance. If you stick with the pistons you have and have the block honed, your piston to wall clearance will probably be in the .004-5 range (thats typically where ive seen them). you open this up and you will burn more oil than normal as well as might get some rattling or tapping noises when cold from piston slap.

new pistons will shrink that up about .001-2ish (closer to 1 be my guess) but cast is better off around .0015-.002 as they dont really grow with heat like forged.

if you are going to buy new pistons, i would say to have the block bored .020 or .040 over and get your clearances back. a bore and hone vs just a hone is not much more.

Quote:
Are the factory LLY pistons MAHLE? If I was to replace the one piston that hit the crank, would the MAHLE factory replacement be the answer?
i know 06-10 are, i dont know if 01-05 are.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

I would not use a set of stock rods in the rebuild, no matter the model. Spend the money once, or spend more money later to rebuild it again...
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom You're already missed, at home and on the piano.

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.
Reality is a matter of perspective.
This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Hotrodder

I do understand that putting a quality set of aftermarket rods is the correct thing to do.. but I really have no desire to put 5-7k into a truck with 220k that may be worth 12k. It had a good run and is on the downward slope. All of the work is being done myself and while I value my time, it is not the end of the world. Machine time is basically free as my father runs a high performance engine machine shop. He has done a few of these before but specializes in gas engines. All I am trying to do is be as informed as possible in order to make the best decision I can on getting this thing back up and running. I do not plan to add anymore power to it. The plan is to put it back together and use it to tow my tows around the country. With the occasional hurt feeling pulls here and there. The feedback on this site has been incredibly helpful to me over the years and appreciate everything you guys do for the industry and myself!

Old 03-31-2020, 08:51 AM

if you go LBZ, just make sure you de-torque that tune a little more. at the rate you bent cyl 5, you can do the same to LBZ or LML rods.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4