Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Loud and Heavy

Open Country AT2 x2
Full Delete
5in Straight Pipe
Old 04-28-2018, 06:27 PM
Hotrodder

So there is a SHIT METRIC TON of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. I am not going to point out specifics, except for the special order tires which I am at.

OP I will be honest, you have listed a pretty broad range of info on the tire that you are after except for the tire size which you have specific on, that you will offroad some and the fact you have a 28' toyhauler. Those are pretty good drill downs for me. I sell a ton of tires and would make a suggestion as, I am assuming you are looking for a tire that looks the part as well.

So with that being said I would suggest the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

3195 LB carrying capacity, will have great looks and on road characteristics.
2004 Chevy 3500 HD SC 4X4 Flatbed
2003 Chevy 2500 HD EC/LB 4X4 Service Truck

1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 door
1969 Chevrolet Corvette BB

Member #1011 Dually 3500 Club
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
So there is a SHIT METRIC TON of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. I am not going to point out specifics, except for the special order tires which I am at.
Ok, I'll bite. Go to a tire store, and look at the BFG KO2 315/70R17 sidewall and see the speed rating. It will be R rated. Now go to BFGs website, and you will see they make an S rated one too. No one stocks it, but they can order it.

I get them through Discount Tire (America's Tire) no problem, just have to order it a week in advance. This has been the case for the last 3 sets of tires I've put on. No one here stocks the S rated version, even though it is almost the same price.

Where I come from, that's called a special order. Perhaps you were thinking of custom tires? That would be a bit far fetched, I'll grant.

Edit: Looked it up, they still make the two versions, but now the difference is only the weight rating. Both are S rated now. 113S vs 121S. Last time I ordered, it was 113R or 121S. I bet everyone still only stocks the 113S.

Last edited by DAVe3283; 04-29-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Verified tire info
Old 04-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Aka Mike Honcho....

You are all correct. In the point of, my questions are very broad and open. You all suggested nice tires. the Nitto is very nice.

BUT im not looking for suggestions in tire manufacturers or a specific tire. Im looking for information about tires. What to look for and to stay away from. Good vs bad. What certain symbols and numbers mean. I do like the fact that you guys are putting real life milage to tires. Don’t get me wrong i like the manufactures you all mentioned and ive ran most of these manufacturers tires on my race truck(desert truck). Even then i would buy cheap or run what was the popular tire at the time with no information behind it. If i didnt like it id just sell it and buy some teams boat load of tires and burn through them.

Thankyou for all the suggestions and help guys.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Always learning

My personal favorite is the BFG AT
But after we had 2 blowouts on different trucks and they didnít warranty anything it left a sour taste in our mouths...
We made the switch to Toyo MT/AT and have had great success
We go about 50k towing our 8k welding rigs on AT
Personal truck is MT and still has about 25% left on 37k Miles
I also drive a lot of dirt roads and burnouts though
Coopers AT suck
Nitos Tera grappler didnít last more than 30k but nice ride
Mickey Thompson are also a great tire but $$$
All that said these companies switch around materials so itís constantly changing but right now I think Toyo is top dog

2005 2500 CC/SB "LLY" LTZ
Typical mods for Longevity
awaiting stuff to go BooM then replace with more go fast parts!

And a few other retired Duramax's
06 360k aka Hog truck
07 320k aka Shop truck
07 340k Flatbed spare welding rig
Old 04-29-2018, 06:02 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post

OP I will be honest, you have listed a pretty broad range of info on the tire that you are after except for the tire size which you have specific on, that you will offroad some and the fact you have a 28' toyhauler. Those are pretty good drill downs for me. I sell a ton of tires and would make a suggestion as, I am assuming you are looking for a tire that looks the part as well.

So with that being said I would suggest the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

3195 LB carrying capacity, will have great looks and on road characteristics.
I'll second the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I am currently running them in a 285/65/18 and really like them. Surprisingly quiet, great traction off road and so far they are wearing really well (~10k miles on them).

I've ran the Cooper ATP, BFG AT KO, and Toyo AT. So far the Ridge Grapplers have them beat IMO.

2006 Silverado LBZ ECSB - BatMo s475 - DA built trans - Exergy 60 overs - DA EFI/DSP5 and supporting mods (SOLD)

1999 Camaro SS LS1 6-speed - bolt-ons
12.6 at 111 N/A stock motor (SOLD)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:11 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Go to a tire store, and look at the BFG KO2 315/70R17 sidewall and see the speed rating. It will be R rated. Now go to BFGs website, and you will see they make an S rated one too. No one stocks it, but they can order it.

I get them through Discount Tire (America's Tire) no problem, just have to order it a week in advance. This has been the case for the last 3 sets of tires I've put on. No one here stocks the S rated version, even though it is almost the same price.

Where I come from, that's called a special order. Perhaps you were thinking of custom tires? That would be a bit far fetched, I'll grant.

Edit: Looked it up, they still make the two versions, but now the difference is only the weight rating. Both are S rated now. 113S vs 121S. Last time I ordered, it was 113R or 121S. I bet everyone still only stocks the 113S.
We have been BFG/Michelin dealers for 20+ years, there has ONLY been one version of that tire in a 10 ply and one version in a 6 ply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budneeds2beers View Post
You are all correct. In the point of, my questions are very broad and open. You all suggested nice tires. the Nitto is very nice.

BUT im not looking for suggestions in tire manufacturers or a specific tire. Im looking for information about tires. What to look for and to stay away from. Good vs bad. What certain symbols and numbers mean. I do like the fact that you guys are putting real life milage to tires. Donít get me wrong i like the manufactures you all mentioned and ive ran most of these manufacturers tires on my race truck(desert truck). Even then i would buy cheap or run what was the popular tire at the time with no information behind it. If i didnt like it id just sell it and buy some teams boat load of tires and burn through them.

Thankyou for all the suggestions and help guys.
There is a ton of good info as well as a ton of bad info on tires that floats around everywhere. I have my favorites, and I pick and choose, but I know what works for our specific customers. From my experience based on what you are looking to do I made that recommendation.
2004 Chevy 3500 HD SC 4X4 Flatbed
2003 Chevy 2500 HD EC/LB 4X4 Service Truck

1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 door
1969 Chevrolet Corvette BB

Member #1011 Dually 3500 Club
Old 04-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Aka Mike Honcho....

B16gsr good recommendation. Just trying to educate myself on tires in general.