Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
The ones with the fins? Itíll work good. Gale is just proving a point that adding fluid and the cover not following the pinion gear is creating more heat, basically anyone who bought one wasted money
That would be the one. I've been running it, but only because it was under $100, not because I need it. I doubt he'll do a comparison of it in the vids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
Itís a splash lube system so really who cares about the air in the oil. As long as itís getting thrown up to the pinion then good enough.

If you watch the f-150 video, at 30mph it too was starting to get bubbles if you watch the bottom. The Ford never went to the 50mph that the dodge did either which really showed the bubbles.

Iíd be willing to bet all this testing was actually done over a day or two and the rest of the time was spent editing and reshooting the videos so they worked for them. IMO the evidence is inconclusive.
Its too bad the "baseline" wasn't the 11.5 diff, so I'm sure the evidence is being persuaded a touch. But at this point, I'm siding with Banks
Jesse
Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

I smell marketing campaign...

Quite a few hungry fish for him to catch already...
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900 @ 10#'s, BTR titanium valve train, BTR custom grind boost cam, head work, 10% overdriven balancer, 2.8 griptec, 65lb sticks, Mayhem built and tuned, not enough traction yet

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
That would be the one. I've been running it, but only because it was under $100, not because I need it. I doubt he'll do a comparison of it in the vids.

Its too bad the "baseline" wasn't the 11.5 diff, so I'm sure the evidence is being persuaded a touch. But at this point, I'm siding with Banks

Why exactly? Just curious.

The way I see it there are thousands of trucks with aftermarket out there, and yet we donít really hear of an excessive amount of diff failures do we? Or do I just live in an area that seems immune to a possible issue he is trying to expose?
Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 PM

One of the things I don't understand, is that he's acting like the pinion gear and bearings only get lubed by what the ring gear slings around. Isn't the pinion low enough to get it's own lube? Especially when it's overfilled.
02 GMC 2500HD, EC/LB, LB7, 2wd, 6" lift, 35" tires. ds LML manifold, PPE 260 hp tune, boost valve, race plug, Airdog 165 lift pump, CAT filter mod, mechanical egt and boost gauges, SB intake, high flow turbo horn, ported turbo exhaust housing, kbd drop in wheel, Banks Bighead wastegate, egr blocked, intake heater delete, PPE downpipe, 5 " exhaust w/ cat delete, Mike L built trans w/ Goerend R converter. Levi's heat blankets

7-6-17...New headgaskets, studs, Fed heads, and LDS replacement injectors @ 202,239 Miles
Old 10-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerry View Post
One of the things I don't understand, is that he's acting like the pinion gear and bearings only get lubed by what the ring gear slings around. Isn't the pinion low enough to get it's own lube? Especially when it's overfilled.
Exactly! Also, why didn't Gale show the Mag-Hytec filled to the high line (8 qts)? Probably because the rotating assembly flooded the pinion with gear oil...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
Why exactly? Just curious.

The way I see it there are thousands of trucks with aftermarket out there, and yet we donít really hear of an excessive amount of diff failures do we? Or do I just live in an area that seems immune to a possible issue he is trying to expose?
How many people tow at the max gvw? And there's a safety margin built into everything. I'm with Banks on the aeration in the oil.
Jesse
Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHybrid View Post
How many people tow at the max gvw? And there's a safety margin built into everything. I'm with Banks on the aeration in the oil.
I am curious of the ppe which i bought has fins on the inside, i wonder what that does and i am curious about heat... that is pic of the tranny pan, but diff is close to the same...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Default Banks Diff Cover Video

Pinion bearings will only see oil from the ring gear, the way it rotates, the ring gear is constantly pulling the oil away from the pinion when submerged and then is slung up to the top via the ring gear. If you open up a diff, you will see the channel for oil to be slung into and feed the pinion and also see oil keepers.

I donít feel the cover is stopping any amount of fluid from hitting the pinion bearings BUT Iím very curious if it is causing the oil to heat up more than a stock cover due to the increased work happening to it. thatís what will get me to either get a new cover or keep this maghytech.

The airration doesnít look any different and with the cover low filled, I only see that helping keep heat down if anything
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

It says right on mag hytec site that they run cooler. No actual specs though.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Good info here subd
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerry View Post

Not quite, James post describes it well. Also you may want to think about when towing up hill when the pinion will be at a higher angle and may not be submerged. It is the port above the pinion barring that the ring slings oil into that provides the real lubrication

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

ok, now hes making sales pitches and no longer actually doing any factual testing.

He is claiming all these things about lack of oil flow, heating temps up more than stock, loss of hp, etc yet he STILL HAS NOT SHOWN A SINGLE DYNO RUN beyond the stock one he did like he stated he would be doing in the very first video to show the temp difference. Instead, hes jumped straight into making his own cover to "fix all these issues" and no data to show for it...

I had faith he would follow through but after the monster drink pose and now this video, its clear thats not the object of the videos... that has certainly irritated me.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
ok, now hes making sales pitches and no longer actually doing any factual testing.

He is claiming all these things about lack of oil flow, heating temps up more than stock, loss of hp, etc yet he STILL HAS NOT SHOWN A SINGLE DYNO RUN beyond the stock one he did like he stated he would be doing in the very first video to show the temp difference. Instead, hes jumped straight into making his own cover to "fix all these issues" and no data to show for it...

I had faith he would follow through but after the monster drink pose and now this video, its clear thats not the object of the videos... that has certainly irritated me.
I agree with you. Either way aftermarket covers are useless (unless you plan on backing into rocks or something).

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Was there ever really any doubt what this was all about?
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Was there ever really any doubt what this was all about?
He wanted to sell diff covers, donít really care. I would have liked to see the data.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1