Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Hotrodder

That has to be one of the only Baja's out there with SSM #6's...

If the guy wants fast... He should be using a different hull...
2004.5 LLY CCSB Suncoast G-MAX 5 with Precision converter, Energy trans mount, AAM Torsen carrier, DHD transfer case brace, Big Chevy Hitch Trac bars, MBRP down pipe to straight 5 inch diamond eye to 7 inch MBRP tip, 4 inch bills custom intake with S&B oiled filter, S&B intake horn, AD II 165, Ported fuel rail fittings, DRP fuel rail plug, DRP egr delete, LB7 passenger side up-pipe, DRP PCV re-route, Edge CS monitor with EGT probe, Moog Problem solver pitman and idler arm, Cognito PISK, Fab-tech tie rods

Duramaxtuner Built Trans Tunes
Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Hotrodder

2 speed tranny would almost have to be a necessity in order to run a big enough pitch prop to run those speeds and still have it be dock-able. The nice thing is with the #6's you can get down to or below a 1:1 gear ratio vs a bravo setup at 1.34:1.
2004.5 LLY CCSB Suncoast G-MAX 5 with Precision converter, Energy trans mount, AAM Torsen carrier, DHD transfer case brace, Big Chevy Hitch Trac bars, MBRP down pipe to straight 5 inch diamond eye to 7 inch MBRP tip, 4 inch bills custom intake with S&B oiled filter, S&B intake horn, AD II 165, Ported fuel rail fittings, DRP fuel rail plug, DRP egr delete, LB7 passenger side up-pipe, DRP PCV re-route, Edge CS monitor with EGT probe, Moog Problem solver pitman and idler arm, Cognito PISK, Fab-tech tie rods

Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Piston Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
From reading your past threads, I realize you're probably the guy who will find a way to make it work, but based off what Dmaxes have been put thru in the past, I just dont see how one (let alone two) can hold at that power level for that long a duration even when built with the best parts money can buy now. You're looking at a lot of cubic dollars on a lot of very expensive custom parts to give yourself even a chance to make it work.
We're just not there yet in terms of reliability at the very extremes of high perf. Hope your customer realizes that...
I've had a hard time keeping his expectations realistic. But he understands why you don't see any big HP diesel boats running 400ci. We started out at 800hp, and he was soon talking about 1200. Which I quickly explained is not an option, unless you plan to build 4 more for spares.

I pegged the stock rod LLY with nothing but set of cast Mahle pistons for about 15 minutes straight one day right after the rebuild. Seated the rings right now.. lol. Then added those 10 WOT 1-mile runs on biodiesel for Guinness. After that I felt comfortable they will hold upwards of 700hp with EGT's around 1600. But even that low power range keeps your ears and eyes pealed for anything out of the ordinary.

All the oiling, water, and charge cooling issues are pretty well sorted out by now. I'm still questioning that Banks intake capacity, love the design but compared to what I've ran before, it's small. Biggest concern remains the cranks. Jeremy has 2 Callies on order for me after my friend snapped his new LMM up around 700hp. He's since put Guy on a stroker build for his boat. So watch for more on that one.

My best odds approach to the cranks is internal balance the Callies and slap a heavy azz flywheel on them. That's the only other rotating mod my LLY had besides the pistons, and you could feel the difference. Do everything possible to dampen the vibrations out of them.

As for the big Cummins marine options, I inspected the internals of a rock solid 700hp marine version couple month back. They run Monotherm pistons for starters. I spoke with Fingers a bit about the options, or lack there of, and we feel the cast Mahle is still second best option for longevity right now. Just gonna oil the crap out of them...

-K
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM
misspeelleerr

Side track... what cause the crankshaft failure? Alignment pin shear, bearing spin or shear power? I've broken one each with the first two mentioned
99 FL60 8.3 12v 13sp
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull salior
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Piston Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LB7yz View Post
That has to be one of the only Baja's out there with SSM #6's...

If the guy wants fast... He should be using a different hull...
Yes that is the only one I know of with 6's factory. And those are being replaced with Weismann WMD's. It's been spinning 16.5dia 31pitch 4 blades and ran 100+ with that setup. I have a pair of Tyson Garvin's [owner of the other big Dmax project boat] two speed transmissions coming for it. They are 1.5 first and 1.0 second gear. Electronic shift and rated at 2000ft lbs torque.

One thing for certain, the hull will be the weakest link now..
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Piston Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Side track... what cause the crankshaft failure? Alignment pin shear, bearing spin or shear power? I've broken one each with the first two mentioned
On Daves LMM boat I think it was like hitting 00 on the roulette wheel.

His stock LMM had 4 times the hours in same setup with no failure. Build a better bottom end, and it lasted under 8hrs. Only noted change was timing bumped up right before it snapped..
Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Hotrodder

Not sure if I am out of line here but that sounds like a lot of money to put into a less than ideal hull. Baja's are built well and handle big water very well but speed and performance are definitely not their strong points... but then again I am not the one flipping the bill None the less it will definitely be unique and one of a kind! And maybe it will spark some interest in some other people of the offshore community to build some nasty diesels!

Having a Baja that does 100+ in its self is pretty impressive!

Those Weismann drives are pretty impressive, but my knowledge on them is not very good. What kind of benefit do they offer over a #6? The only failures that I have heard of with the #6 was when mercury was testing the 1650's and were twisting splines when turned up closer 2000HP I believe that's why they came out with the M8.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Hotrodder

Sorta unrelated because its based on a cummins, but I thought this was an interesting thread over on CompD. IDK if there's any nuggets of info. in there for you or not but there might be. As far as I know, it never got completed. At least its never been updated over there that it has been.

Cummins Poker Run Boat

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 AM
JUST RENT IT

subscribed

2008 GMC 2500 (SOLD)
EFI,all deleted,rode hard,stayed together

2009 Chev 2500 (traded) EFI, all deleted, rode just as hard as her ^^^, stayed together
Old 06-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Hotrodder

Are those wet sump sixes? getting rid of those will give a nice bump in net power.

I've seen other Bajas with sixes, but they may not have been factory.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

12.05 @ 112mph w/ S366, stock sticks, stock CP3

2005 EC/SB LLY The White Devil
Built Motor
Limitless Diesel Comp Trans
Triple Turbo
Dual Fuelers
100% Injectors (Hahaha Sure they are)
10.67 @ 133mph fuel only
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Piston Tester

They are dry sump plug in 6's with Huber 1450 trans. Problem is gearing is 1.5:1 and needed changed to 1:1 or so. The WMD's use straight cut quick change gears that can be overdriven if need be.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Hotrodder

You can swap lower gears on the 6's to a 1:1 if im not mistaken

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Old 06-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
What's considered a comfortable "load" to be on an engine for an extended time? No engine is made for 100% load 100% of the time, that would be grossly over built or overworked wouldn't it?
that is not quite true. many engines are designed and run at 100% the whole time. Generators, ship engines, Locomotives, etc. the differences are that 100% for them is like 30-50% for an automotive application.

example, some of the generators i work with are 4.5 liter at 90 HP. that is 20 hp per liter. the Duramax at 397 hp is 60 hp per liter. maybe that is what you meant by grossly overbuilt?

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Piston Tester

Typically throttle position and load are linked together on a boat. The prop pitch plays largest roll in this value. With my LLY boat if you were at 50% throttle it was typically 45-60% load according to the ECM's calculation. What would vary that number is prop pitch. Bigger pitch = higher load, smaller pitch = lower load values and lower speeds.

On a gas motor you typically try to find a prop that allows the engine to run at peak cam torque curve. Go to big on pitch and you run out of power before reaching full RPM potential of the engine.

With a diesel your obviously not gonna run at 1400R's and have any top speed. So you might only be 30% load at peak torque curve, but then 90% load at 3800R's. So you need to have everything setup to run those high R's all day long loaded, but typically your outside peak torque of the engine.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Limp Mode Cowboy

Subd got a dealing I'm gonna learn a lot

Legal Disclaimer: My comments on this board are based on my personal experiences and life lessons. Don't try this at home. Your mileage may vary. Model shown includes options. Past performance does not reflect actual capability or intelligence. I'm off my meds. Don't listen to a thing I say, you've been warned