Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Gearhead

Default "Water in Fuel" HELP

Man when it rains it pours! I was driving to work today and got the "water in fuel service required" message on my truck. It's now parked outside and I'm not sure what to do. I'm so irritate right now as I've been trying to decide what to do with the DEF system to the point I'm calling the dealer this morning about it. I filled the truck up yesterday at a fuel station I use almost every time and have done so for the last few years. Thoughts??
Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Hotrodder

Drain fuel/water separater into a glass jar and let it sit and see if there really is water when it separates. Change filter would be a high priority as well. That all being said the WIF sensors have never been accurate. Wires on mine broke and never let me know. Removed and said f it

06 LBZ ECLB

Gauges, Danville Tunes, 5" Dumped, Trans by Evan, DP Stg2r, Sleeved/Braced and some other odds and ends crap that we all have
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 AM
Gearhead

Yeah I'm thinking draining the separator is probably the first thing to do. Gotta love that it's 32 degrees and snowing right now outside. Great weather for this to happen!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Gearhead

Well I think I found the issue. I first drained some fuel to let it sit and it ended up being plenty clean, not a drop of water. What I found was that the two wires coming out of the bottom of the water/fuel sensor were bare right at the plastic. This morning we had a very wet due to snow so I'm thinking it shorted the sensor causing the warning to pop up. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you have the same code pop.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Gearhead

I've always wondered how well the water separator in those filters actually work, I have never once shown a drop when draining it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:25 AM
FNG

So my truck has a CAT adapter and filter setup, no Racor filter anymore. Essentially I don't have any WIF protection. Is this a big deal and should I go back to the stock Separator/filter setup? Pretty "good" diesel where I live.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Hotrodder

Do you have a lift pump?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ECLB

Gauges, Danville Tunes, 5" Dumped, Trans by Evan, DP Stg2r, Sleeved/Braced and some other odds and ends crap that we all have
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Hotrodder

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
Do you have a lift pump?

No, stock fueling
Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltsheets View Post
Well I think I found the issue. I first drained some fuel to let it sit and it ended up being plenty clean, not a drop of water. What I found was that the two wires coming out of the bottom of the water/fuel sensor were bare right at the plastic. This morning we had a very wet due to snow so I'm thinking it shorted the sensor causing the warning to pop up. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you have the same code pop.
Same thing on buddy's truck, those wires are worth checking first.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocka View Post
So my truck has a CAT adapter and filter setup, no Racor filter anymore. Essentially I don't have any WIF protection. Is this a big deal and should I go back to the stock Separator/filter setup? Pretty "good" diesel where I live.

If you run water through your fuel system it could take out your fuel system. I would never not have some sort of water separator on a diesel engine. It doesn't matter how good the fuel in your areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Hotrodder

I think wix has a filter that has a bowl on the bottom but unsure of if it works on the cat adaptor or not. Before Mike passed away I'd have recommended ask him because I think he ran one. But I agree with Dozer...always some form of water separater on a diesel

06 LBZ ECLB

Old 04-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Gearhead

Well I thought I had it fixed but apparently not. I'm still getting the water in fuel message even though when I checked the fuel in a glass, there was no water in the fuel. What else could be causing this message??
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM
FNG

Just unplug the water sensor. The water in fuel message will go away. The sensor switch closes the circuit to ground. There is a short in wiring. Check for exposed wires.This is not complicated. Ground to wire, message turns on. No ground no message. There are two wires going to sensor. One goes to ground The other goes to wiring harness top of motor. Check for ground on wire going to wiring harness. You have already determined that there is no water in fuel so no problem there.
ATP AutoCal - Isspro Boost & Pyro Gauges - Kennedy Lift Pump - Racor Diesel Filter Kit - Cat Filter adaptor - PPE Boost valve - AFE CAI - Profab air horn - MotoBlue Quite Thunder Down Pipe - FLO-PRO 4" SS exhaust - Allison Deep Pan - Velvet-Ride Springs - Air Lift springs & compressor - Line-X Liner - Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocka View Post
Run a Donaldson p553203 filter. You can also run the clear bowl on the bottom. Just make sure you use the supplied oring that comes with it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SoCalMike; 04-05-2017 at 02:35 PM.