Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm officially done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpeterson View Post
Your saying its not worth it? Is is it a not so great product?
It is far and away the best product for the Dmax hotrodder. Been using it for 3 years.

Sorry, my attempt at sarcasm was missed.

And yes, buy it from any vendor on this site and they will take good care of you.

Thanks to Fleece, Blackout Performance, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, Bullfrog, Simon, Mark Broviak .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Hotrodder

efi live is well worth it in my book. The vendors here can hook you up with it and help get you started.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:36 PM
FNG

Hi
I am new to diesel as well, I've heard that using chips or tuning your truck can put too much pressure on engine and eventually you will have to rebuild it. Is it true?
Do i have to upgrade anything else if efi live tuner installed?
I am going to haul over 26000 gwr.
Thank you
Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM
May the farce be with you

As with anything, there's more than one way to skin this cat...

There are a few things you'll want to look into...
Adding a lift pump would be my first suggestion, wether you tune it or not.
If you're going to run a tune, plan on adding a 4" exhaust and possibly opening up your stock air intake a bit...and possibly adding a good 3" downpipe too...

Towing that much weight I'd want to have a boost and a pyrometer (EGT) gauges on board...

If you're running a truck equipped with a 6ap Allison I'd also suggest adding a TransGo Jr shift kit to your transmission valvebody.

Take a while to use the search function on forums database and read as much as you can to get acquainted with what you're stepping into. With the proper amount of research you'll make good decisions and won't be disappointed
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 PM
FNG

Awesome, thank you for prompt reply.
I will start with lift pump, air intake and exhaust while educating myself about efi live ;O)) Would like to learn how to use it before i install it.
Once efi live done how often you modify the settings? Or it really depends on where and when you are driving?
I am going to pull 4 cars hauler, trailer by itself is around 7200lbs.
Thank you for you help!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
I will start with lift pump, air intake and exhaust while educating myself about efi live ;O)) Would like to learn how to use it before i install it.
Once efi live done how often you modify the settings? Or it really depends on where and when you are driving?
Thank you for you help!
First off welcome!
Second what year of d-max do you have?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
Thank you for you help!
First thing you should know about me is, I post novels!

But I do it because I try to be as thorough as possible to provide the best info I can without seeming "elusive" al in an effort to help and keep the desire for performance fire stoked

Installing tuning from an AutoCal is a breeze. There's really not a whole lot you need to "learn" you just contact your tuner of choice, they load tunes on the AutoCal for you, then you plug into the OBD2 port under the dash just left of the steering wheel. You pull and save your stock tune file to wipe the ECM and ready it for the performance tunes and then load the tune file. The initial process takes about 15min 7 to wipe the ECM and another 7 to load the tuning.

EFI live offers multiple options for tunning. You can get a single tune, 3 position tuning switch (DSP3) or a 5 position tuning switch (DSP5). "DSP" stands for Duramax Selectable Programming. The switch gets wired into your ECM and is simple to do, yet it's the most difficult part of the whole process.

You're gonna probably start like most of us do with "stock trans tuning" and a DSP5 switch. On a DSP5 you'll have an optimized stock, a heavy tow, a light tow, a street and a race tune. Stock trans tuning would be (respectively) stock, +50, +90, +110 and +130-150 wheel horse power (whp) over stock power output.

Because of the Allison Transmissions purpose built nature, it's not really up to the task of handling all the extra power tuning can provide, roughly around +90whp the transmission will start deteriorating. With a heavy foot and anything +90whp you can find yourself in need of a transmission rebuild very quickly. For this reason a TransGoJr shift kit is a necessity. It's not a be all fix all addition, but installing it before or with tuning and not after, will do your transmission well to live a longer life with the added power. They cost about $100 bucks and take about 2 1/2 hours to install.

You can save some money by modifying the stock air intake with the PPE air intake mod, you can do this in about 30min with basic tools in your garage, there's no real need to buy an intake as the Donaldson air filter flows plenty and is a really good filtration unit. The air box just needs to be modified a bit to allow for more air flow.

Once you've got everything done, you really don't need to change/modify anything in the tune, but if you get tuning and THEN start adding things like DPF delete, EGR delete, exhaust, turbo swaps, injectors, etc etc, you'll need the tuning calibrated by your tuner.

And there's where the AutoCal falls short, you need to have your tuner calibrate for ANYTHING! Even tire size changes...and, once you buy an AutoCal it's only good for tuning from the guy you bought it from. If you're planning on trying tuning from multiple sources, your best bet is going to be to just buy an EFI-Live V2 tuning suite from the get go, it's about 2x the cost upfront but it's much more versatile and will allow you to adjust for tires on your own and accept and load tunes from anyone.

The cool thing tho, you can change tunes on the fly by flipping the switch at any time! Just be careful and smart about doing it, you don't want to go from your heavy tow 50hp tune to your 150hp tune under WOT or even at a light if you decide to race someone...

PPE makes a programmer that is EFI-Live based that can handle tire and gear changes tho if you're concerned about that, it's called the Hot programmer.

Like I suggested earlier, use the search function on the forum select the "advanced search" button it works better, read a bunch and inform yourself before you start buying stuff, before ya know it, you'll be writing post like this to a new guy

Last edited by Hot COCOAL; 10-17-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Lots of spelling errors, lol
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Hotrodder

Cheese and rice Jason wtf.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Cheese and rice Jason wtf.
I was even saying WTF to myself on that one...
I can't help it, my brain starts going and I can't stop it until everything is out

I'm in one of those moods tonight, I should probably just log off

Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 AM
C20ELEPHANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot COCOAL View Post
I was even saying WTF to myself on that one...
I can't help it, my brain starts going and I can't stop it until everything is out

I'm in one of those moods tonight, I should probably just log off

Got to give you credit, I've seen others with no paragraphs and that can be a B***H to read and understand........
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 AM
future trans limpers

What year dmax does the OP have? If its an 06 or newer he doesn't need an intake until he installs a bigger charger. The factory intake has been proven to be the best intake for 500HP and under.

Landon-2006 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ
Rebuilt engine by Burkett Racing Engines
LBZ rods,.20 over LB7 pistons, head studs, balanced rotating assembly.
Exergy 12 mil stroker pump/ Exergy 200 overs
S475/88 hybrid compounds, turbos specked by Mark @ Danville Performance, Kit built by myself and Moparkxracer "Shade Tree Triples"
Cylinder Pressure/Dyno tuning by Danville Performance
Trans built by Diesel Addiction/ 1072-2 Limitless Diesel converter
Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Oughta Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWATSON View Post
What year dmax does the OP have? If its an 06 or newer he doesn't need an intake until he installs a bigger charger. The factory intake has been proven to be the best intake for 500HP and under.
This x2^

If you really are towing that much weight, you will not be able to run much hotter of a tune, if at all. I have only revised the timing tables on my LBZ, so basically stock tune and it runs plenty warm on the pyro for me @ 25000gvw. It actually is really comfortable, I really don't even to need to watch the pyro unless on a long grade. Which is the way I would want it if towing frequently.
597/1096 Batmostocker-Gone

06 GMC CC DRW-Gone
08 GMC CC DRW-Gone
New DD/Beater: Beat up 06 GMC CCSB w/ 252,000 miles
Current Tow Rig-12 Ram 4500 Crew

'Oughta K
now Better'- PPL Lim Pro Stock 05 3500 Crew Cab 158" WB 2014 PPP 2.6 Champions
Thanks to Blackout Performance

Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 AM
misspeelleerr

Almost 60,000 miles on current lmm i still haven't instaled boost pyro or oil temp guages.
A good tow tune from any of the rep tuners you don't need guages, they are that good

You mentioned running 26k and above.. I managed to cook thus cracked a piston in my first truck due to oil temps running above 250* for sustained periods. At less than 360hp..Highly recommend making/installing an aux oil cooler. Look at spending $6-800 in parts. Hauling high wind drag loads on a hot day killed mine.
99 FL60 8.3 12v 13sp
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull salior
Old 11-15-2014, 07:47 PM
FNG

I installed efi live 2004.5 3500 dually 6.6, truck runs awesome but now my mechanic says I need a tranny rebuild as not to end up stranded,,, we haul a 16k 5th wheel toyhauler,,,, any comments?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Multiple choice muscle

How big of a tune did you run? Whos tune was it? Why were towing heavy with a big tune?

Efi is just a tuning tool, you dont "install" efi live. You install a tune built by yourself or someone else.

If you were runnin a big tune 125 or larger then yeah shouldnt have towed heavy. I would bet your egt was up there also, do uou have gauges? Did you ever watch your trans temps?

Your tuner should not have given you a hot tune if you were gonna be pullin heavy with a stock trans.

What makes your mechanic think your truck needs the tranny rebuilt? Have you limped it? How many times alhas it limped? Did your mechanic drop the pan and see clutch laying in the pan? Did he cut open your spin on a d see if it had material in it?

Thats alot of questions but they have to be answered before i "comment". My coment for now you ran too big of a tune and you are lucky its just the trans... Maybe...
"Rusty Bullet" 2007 Classic CCSB, 1 LT, Greystone 4X4, Cognito, EFI, tuned by McRat/Neens, DSP by Mike Meyer, PPE stuff, Autometer, Trippin, Airdog, MBRP, Bilstein, Hankook, TransGo Jr SOLD 437 hp 1051tq STOCK TRANS
"Tow Pig" 2003 LB7/Alli EC/LB 2x4 4" straight, cts, EFI, SOLD
"Squirel" 2000 Chevy Silvy 1500 RC/SB 5 speed 4.8 little screamer back to stock, had polished 243's ls6 intake cam and valve train
"Great White Hope" 2013 silverado 1500 z71 CCSB loaded Corsa Exhaust, gmpp intake, leveled, 5.3 HO
"White Power"-2012 GMC Sierra, White on tan leather, CCLB Dually, 4x4 LML Alli, All stock

Last edited by Big Block 88; 11-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.