Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Toxic Customs

Default Carillo pistons and rods?

Anyone on here running the Carillo hybrid piston and rod combo?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGX View Post
Mine is sitting at the machine shop, just waiting for the coated bearings to come in then I can go pick the pieces up to assemble.

I don't know of many people running this hybrid setup.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3r View Post
I agree. not many people run with that setup
Hoping to pick it up this week. Had some issues where the bearing coater apparently ruined the bearings (mains/rod/cam/thrust) and I just found out a little over a week ago.

Machine shop ordered Mahle/Clevite performance bearings for everything and are just waiting on the mains to arrive to final polish the crank for 20W50.

They said it was the best balancing duramax rotating assembly they've done.

Hoping this helps my stock crank live.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Toxic Customs

what piston to cylinder wall clearance spec are you using?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
what piston to cylinder wall clearance spec are you using?
CP-Carrillo recommended 0.008" piston-to-wall clearance. I had my machinist follow the CP-Carrillo specs on everything.

I got it running and I must say the responsiveness of this engine is insane.

Past Rides:
Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Subd what material are the pistons? Standard Carrillo rods I presume?
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
Subd what material are the pistons? Standard Carrillo rods I presume?
The hybrid assembly uses a forged piston with a smaller wrist pin moved up on the piston to decrease overall piston height. This smaller wrist pin and new location also allow for a longer rod. A longer rod, in theory, should help the motor build torque by keeping the piston in the high-pressure zone of the cylinder longer as well as decreasing side load on the crank by generating a better rod to stroke ratio.

It really should shine at higher rpm.

Also, with this wrist pin and piston, they were able to shave 1/2# per cylinder off of the rotating assembly for a massive 4# weight savings overall (they save 12# on the Cummins!!) which is why I believe my motor is so responsive.

Below are the links to the CP-Carrillo announcement/catalog:

Link 1: http://www.cp-carrillo.com/n-12064-h...ow-availa.html

Link 2: http://www.cp-carrillo.com/files/die...nalv3email.pdf

Past Rides: