Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM
FNG

Default Stock air box vs CAI

2008 LMM. After lots of research it seems the stock air box flows just fine for up to 500hp. I had a Cummins in the past and did turbo back, CAI and tune but with this one I’m wanting to stay smog legal but with some pep. I already have the edge CS2, and DPF back exhaust on the way. Is there any other little things that can be done or should be done to help pick up some extra ponies? I’ve seen the air box mod, is that worth anything?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DreksDmax; 04-30-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Getting faster

Not worth it. Throw a 50hp tune in it and drive it.

"OldManTan"
04 SC/SB 1500 big fuel, big SXE turbo, TH400 8.91@155 5.76@126
06 Cummins cc/sb EFI by Hardway.
15 Cruze diesel deleted by Fleece

Tailgate Member #1 I prefer the backdoor
Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider552 View Post
Not worth it. Throw a 50hp tune in it and drive it.
Yea I have the 130hp tune on it now. And it was a nice pick me up
Old 04-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Shits broke

have a Transgo Jr installed to try and save that trans. There’s a good chance you aren’t even holding fuel rail pressure with that tune as it is. If you want more performance work on getting the power to the ground. If you do get a CAI make sure it’s sealed not getting air from under the hood.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 04-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Hotrodder

See what IdahoRob has to say about S&B Intakes. They dyno'd before & after on an LBZ and gained 25hp. Follow the link...

https://www.atptrucks.com/articles/a...-reviews-valid
Old 04-30-2019, 02:54 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
have a Transgo Jr installed to try and save that trans. Thereís a good chance you arenít even holding fuel rail pressure with that tune as it is. If you want more performance work on getting the power to the ground. If you do get a CAI make sure itís sealed not getting air from under the hood.
I paid for the century 4 year warranty so Iíll roll with the trans for now. Thanks for your input
Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseRob View Post
See what IdahoRob has to say about S&B Intakes. They dyno'd before & after on an LBZ and gained 25hp. Follow the link...

https://www.atptrucks.com/articles/a...-reviews-valid
Very interesting. Which s&b intake is that?
Old 05-01-2019, 06:34 AM
Hotrodder

Leave it stock, the LMM's have awesome intake air temps it will only let more hot air in and more than likely more dirt with a aftermarket one. The old body style trucks had hotter intake air temps and if you get a good intake it can help those but some come with the expense of more dirt or a oiled MAF sensor.

Find a the old write up about making the stock one better.
04 LB7 ECSB Built motor, Wagler billet narrowed Rods, Callies billet narrowed journal crank, Mahle Race Cast pistons, Randy's Girdle, Wagler/Callies Stage 1 alterfire cam, Exergy 100% SAC's, dual CP3's, Randy's race ported heads, Profab cast flow/up pipes, and S475 over a DTS 67.7
2010 LMM CCLB-Tuning/Exhaust
2015 LML Cab and chassis- Tuning/Exhaust

Last edited by rcr1978; 05-01-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: victim of auto correct
Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr1978 View Post
Leave it stock, the LMM's have awesome intake air temps it will only let more hot air in and more than likely more dirt with a aftermarket one. The old body style trucks had hotter intake air temps and if you get a good intake it can help those but some come with the expense of more dirt or a oiled MAF sensor.

Find a the old write up about making the stock one better.
My IAT range from about 10-15į hotter then outside air while driving. Iíve seen a lot of people say aftermarket and they are within 5į of outside air temps. If I got one I would get one with enclosed air box. Iíve seen the mods for stock air box, taking the turbine blades out and taking that panel off the passenger filter.some say it makes turbo a little louder, some say they had cooler IATs and others say doesnít do anything. So left me not really knowing lol
Old 05-01-2019, 04:46 PM
FNG

Did the air box mod and now IATs are only 2-4į difference from outside temps but that’s only thing I notice
Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreksDmax View Post
Did the air box mod and now IATs are only 2-4į difference from outside temps but thatís only thing I notice
I have red that for every 1 deg decrease in IAT there is aprox 2 rwhp gain , so if you decreased your IAT by 10 deg that would be 20 rwhp gain and maybe 1/2 mpg increase if that is what you were looking for and you are happy that is all that matters . Welcome !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 05-01-2019, 06:18 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
I have red that for every 1 deg decrease in IAT there is aprox 2 rwhp gain , so if you decreased your IAT by 10 deg that would be 20 rwhp gain and maybe 1/2 mpg increase if that is what you were looking for and you are happy that is all that matters . Welcome !
Good to know. I wonder if the s&b would be much different other then making the turbo louder. I would think there would be better throttle response at least with an aftermarket
Old 05-02-2019, 04:40 AM
Hotrodder

I had a s&b on my lmm. I honestly didnít notice any difference. Even resonator deleteís I didnít notice anything. Same thing deleting the resonator on my lml. I have a sdp metal intake on my lml now. The only thing I can hear now is it really sucking airflow in. Stock turbo doesnít have any compressor whistle

08 CCSB LMM - HSP 369sxe kit, 10mm S&S cp3, built trans with suncoast 1058, supporting mods and Danville tuned
SOLD
Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Stock box...
2010 GMC 1500 RCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's/ Kooks / Magnaflow / 5.3 / 6l80E / TVS1900 @ 14#'s / BTR Top End / Boosted Bump Stick / Trunion upgrade / 90mm / 10% over / 2.8 griptec / 105 lb ID's / Mayhem built/tuned.

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreksDmax View Post
Did the air box mod and now IATs are only 2-4į difference from outside temps but thatís only thing I notice
Not going to beat that with anything aftermarket
Throttle response won't improve either with aftermarket junk only way to get that is with tuning= turbo spooling faster.
04 LB7 ECSB Built motor, Wagler billet narrowed Rods, Callies billet narrowed journal crank, Mahle Race Cast pistons, Randy's Girdle, Wagler/Callies Stage 1 alterfire cam, Exergy 100% SAC's, dual CP3's, Randy's race ported heads, Profab cast flow/up pipes, and S475 over a DTS 67.7
2010 LMM CCLB-Tuning/Exhaust
2015 LML Cab and chassis- Tuning/Exhaust