Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 PM
On a Time Out

Default Allison 5 speed to 6 speed conversion

Thinking about building my 5 speed transmission to handle my current modifications to my truck then ran across the 6 speed conversion kit. Would this be the better option over a built 5 speed tranny? I’m mainly looking for fuel mileage On the highway and not tearing up my tranny when I want to have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Hotrodder

The 5-6 speed conversion will not allow you to put any more power down without building the trans. If you need a built trans to handle your power then build it, if you want the 6 speed then add the conversion to the built trans. Then you’ll have both.

I just did the 6 speed conversion in my 02, should have done it 10 years ago.

1970 Chevelle Duramax Hot Rod, '04 LB7/TH400-gear vendor, S475/factory IHI, 65% inj, 10 mil pump, SoCal AF cam, Valve springs, Push Rods, LBZ rods..... 10 sec cruzer :-)

2002 2500HD LLY 6 speed ally conversion
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 AM
On a Time Out

Thank you that was my next question. I think that’s the route I’ll go. Conversion then rebuild.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_rork View Post
Thank you that was my next question. I think that’s the route I’ll go. Conversion then rebuild.

You're doing this backwards.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
You're doing this backwards.
X2, make the trans hold the power, then do the 6 speed conversion. The 6-speed conversion doesn't require removing the transmission, just the valve body, and can be done fairly easily at any time.

It is also possible to build the transmission and do the 6 speed kit at the same time, and you will save a little bit on labor this way. That is what I did in my Suburban.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:27 AM
On a Time Out

What would cost be for building the 5-speed? I believe for my mechanical abilities I could do the conversion kit but how intense would the rebuild be for an individual that doesn’t work on Allison Transmissions every day be?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
What would cost be for building the 5-speed? I believe for my mechanical abilities I could do the conversion kit but how intense would the rebuild be for an individual that doesn’t work on Allison Transmissions every day be?

If everyday means that you never did rebuild an Allison and you might have the ability to bolt on a valve body , you might wont to contact one of the great transmission guys on this site. Unless you love a challenge , then go for it !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM
On a Time Out

Still wondering on cost ($) valve of the project? Anyone have any recommendations on who to go with doing a project like this in the Kansas area?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Still wondering on cost ($) valve of the project? Anyone have any recommendations on who to go with doing a project like this in the Kansas area?

Call the guy in sheeps clothing !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Call the guy in sheeps clothing !

Ok I do not find this comment very helpful? He is wanting to know if you do a 6 speed conversion. Can you then rebuild it as a six speed? Because a 6 speed rebuild is a lot cheaper then a 5 speed. Again looking for help not sarcasm. Thanks

Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjanousek0802 View Post
Ok I do not find this comment very helpful? He is wanting to know if you do a 6 speed conversion. Can you then rebuild it as a six speed? Because a 6 speed rebuild is a lot cheaper then a 5 speed. Again looking for help not sarcasm. Thanks

use the search function and start reading.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Got Sheep?

Quote:

There was no sarcasm posted. Who ever told you that a 6 speed was cheaper to build than a 5 speed?

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:

Conservatively $5-6K if you have a shop build it. LOOK IN OUR VENDOR SECTION for MikeL (Inglewood Transmissions) or Evan (Limitless Diesel Perf) for their phone numbers and call them about your options. Evan sells a kit if you want to do it yourself. I am not sure if there are any competent shops near you to do the build.

Quote:

How about you do some searching and reading around here before opening your mouth? "The guy in sheeps clothing" is MikeL. So torqued's post was helpful.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Conservatively $5-6K if you have a shop build it. LOOK IN OUR VENDOR SECTION for MikeL (Inglewood Transmissions) or Evan (Limitless Diesel Perf) for their phone numbers and call them about your options. Evan sells a kit if you want to do it yourself. I am not sure if there are any competent shops near you to do the build.

How about you do some searching and reading around here before opening your mouth? "The guy in sheeps clothing" is MikeL. So torqued's post was helpful.

So then explain the Statement “The guy in sheeps clothing” because that was very confusing and misleading to us that had no idea what that means and for being new to this “Tapatalk”. But thanks for explaining who it is and about the “Vendor Selection”.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Its a long time joke concerning Mike, so leave it at that. Not our problem that you dont understand it.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Closed Thread