Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM
<that痴 not me...

I look at the forum in the regular desktop mode on my phone browser. Only reason for Tapatalk is pic posting.

Back on topic. You need to build your trans first. It’s not THAT huge of a difference. Unless you’re going cross country regularly or drive nothing but highway you won’t notice it much. I actually get worse mpg in this lbz than I ever did with my 5 speed lb7. A built trans and good tune makes your truck a much better animal to drive every day. 6 speed kit is literally just a few hundred less rpm over 55ish.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
Close, but not QUITE the same. The main difference, IIRC, is that the C1/C2 drum was redesigned for the 2006/6-speed, so they only need the Transgo Jr, not the full Transgo that the 5-speeds need to get. I believe there are a few other hard parts that were revised and not interchangeable with older models unless you change a bunch of parts, but as far as clutches and a rebuild, they are the same (Again, IIRC - It's been a while since I've built either of them) aside from the design change that negates the need for the full transgo. But that has nothing to do with it having 6-gears - it's just a design change for the 2006MY. Everything about the 6 gears is in the VB and TCM, so technically, you could put a 5-speed VB into a 2006+ 6-speed trans and install it in a pre-LBZ truck (there are a few 'gotchas' with that in certain cases, such as with one that came out of a LMM, but it's doable) and vice versa.

Thanks for the info I was just trying to state it simply. I have read all of your (think it was you) and Ferm's write ups on 6 speed conversion. It is always nice to know good information. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
Gotta love internet warriors laying down the smack.
careful, he will pick on you next
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
careful, he will pick on you next
This has me so upset I'm going to have to sleep with my sheep tonight. Wait, I do that every night.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM
On a Time Out

Alright thanks for all the inputs from everyone here guess I値l just enny minny moe my options and pick that one. Sounds like both are good. Order will come down to funds for me. I personally think I値l do the conversion then a few years down the road.....many years down the road if I have until 280k miles....I値l look into the rebuild kit. Until then I値l continue to keep my tune turned down a few notches and just drive. Besides having fun usually means trouble if you get 田aught. Thanks again. I値l contact Mike if I have any further questions. Have a nice day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Hotrodder

Down newbs! Down!

Op what do you use the truck for primarily? Reason I ask is the 6-speed is nice for freeway driving 80+ or if you have big tires and low gears... I have both 5-speed and a 6 speed conversion, honestly I would do a built trans way before ever doing the 6 speed conversion.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjanousek0802 View Post
You are being a bitch and you need a GOOD COUNTRY BOY ASS WHOOPIN! Have a Great Day! I知 done with this forum.

thats a hell of a birthday present huh Tom?
Rare parts steering w/DHD brace, egr delete, pcv re-route, BD lift pump, duramaxtuner perfect tow tune.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Oh hell, I dont worry about people like that. They are what they are.

I just hope rork is able to make a good decision that fits what he wants to do.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Collywobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
I have both 5-speed and a 6 speed conversion, honestly I would do a built trans way before ever doing the 6 speed conversion.

This!!! I had mine built back in April, wish I had done it years ago. It痴 a different truck.
1993 GMC Sonoma 4WD V6 D.D.
Jesus Is The Only Way!
2002 RC/LB LB7~~Sold~~

Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Got Sheep?

Certain people love this conversion and some don't. I had this conversion in my LB7 and hated it. I am very carefull who I sell this to. Very expensive for no gain and terrible drivability. No mileage gain. Remember with this kit you will be spinning the P3 planet very fast and loading the engine down for no gain.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:51 PM
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX Slim View Post
This!!! I had mine built back in April, wish I had done it years ago. It痴 a different truck.

So many hard decisions haha well thanks everyone on the inputs. I do have more questions for everyone opinions. And I guess I need to find a tranny guy in my area to talk to. I知 sure Mike and Evan are great they are just really far from me. I was really only looking for opinions and options rather than a person anyway. A built transmission was gonna be my next purchase until the other day when I ran across a 6 speed conversion, this would help my highway driving. Was just a thought but thanks everyone I think I値l go with my first thought of a rebuild!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Got Sheep?

Call me if you need help.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 PM
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
Call me if you need help.

Thanks for the help!!! I値l keep you in mind

Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM
<that痴 not me...

Something that all new diesel guys need to learn is that it is a completely done fervent, more expensive, more complicated and costly world than gassers could ever dream of being. Everyone tries to push their products no matter how underdeveloped they may be. Look at Sinister stuff. Look at the cheaply made knock offs of ricks pipes. Especially with fuel systems and transmissions, you really have to do your research on REPUTABLE sites, not the “other” duramax forum. Not Facebook. And not sites that advertise their own stuff. Most of the best stuff you can buy are from sites that aren’t even fully developed and up to date, or are just simple site not over promoting their own stuff. Sites like Lincoln diesel, profab, Kennedy, are just a here to sell their stuff because everyone knows their quality and doesn’t need the hype. The guys on this site can be difficult at times because we get a lot of people that want us to diagnose their problems and then leave. We do not get paid for this. It’s a hobby. So we don’t appreciate people demanding answers. Or getting cocky. Not saying you were. Not saying that at all. But most of these guys have known each other for a while and have some running jokes going.

That being said, Mike and Evan both are absolutely no questions asked the best people there are to mess with Allison’s. Listen to what they say. Don’t listen to internet BS and hype. They may be far but it’ll be worth the trip or shipping. I went local on my first Allison build and it was a hack job. And that was from the best shop around. Allison’s need precision. Not just a “kit”. I know of lots of guys that have bought Evan’s DIY kit and have had great success. That comes with Evan’s guidance too.

Sorry for the rant. Bored at work.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 AM
Heavy & Slow

You can have good luck getting an Allison built at a local shop. My truck's 2nd (current) transmission was done by a reputable local shop, and so far it's every bit as good as the 1st (MikeL build from when I lived in CA). But many local shops don't have the skills or knowledge to build a performance Allison, so you tend to take your chances.

We have had members successfully build their own Allison from a kit, and a few be less than successful. You have to be patient and have attention to detail. It isn't easy. We just want you to know what you're getting into here.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Closed Thread