Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Thanks guys,
I put about 20 more pictures in the engine section at the link below.

I'm starting to wonder if I can get any diesel magazines interested in an article.... Anyone have any connections?

Lonnie
THE writer for Diesel Power Mag. is a member of CompetitionDiesel.com. You could contact him through that site if you are a member. If not, let me know and I'll, at the very least, send him a link to your page and a brief note expressing your interest in getting in the mag.

C-ya

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Horsepower Addict

Mitch,
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've been on that site, but never joined.
I'll look into it & see what happens.

Obviously, I have a lot of work to do before I can show any finished pictures... plus spending another huge stack of cash (more stressful than the actual work) before it is done.

At least the dirty part is almost over. Building 2 axles will be the last used parts I have to deal with.

I'll just be glad to hear it run again.

Lonnie
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Horsepower Addict

I finally got the cab set in place after all this time.

With a 1" body lift the trans clears the floor by maybe 1.5" at the closest point. I knew I was cutting it close.

The dipstick was causing some grief at the firewall, so I'll try to get a Lokar flexible one. This allowed me to move the engine back an additional inch.

Here is an update until I get the new pictures (30 more) posted on my website.

Lonnie
Old 02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Wicked Witch of the West

Quote:
I finally got the cab set in place after all this time.

With a 1" body lift the trans clears the floor by maybe 1.5" at the closest point. I knew I was cutting it close.

The dipstick was causing some grief at the firewall, so I'll try to get a Lokar flexible one. This allowed me to move the engine back an additional inch.

Here is an update until I get the new pictures (30 more) posted on my website.

Lonnie
Looks Awesome

Wendy 06 GMC LBZ CC/SB EFI "Rat Posion", Sun Coast trans, SC 1057 & Transgo JR by MikeL, true downpipe, Banks Ram-Air SD sleeves 12.50 @ 107.51

Big Blue04 GMC LLY 3500 SRW CC LB 4x4 DA Big Blue 13.12 @ 103.93 466RWHP/928TQ. PPE LLY extreme tune, VA Box, SC III by Inglewood Trans, 4" straight pipe, Super Diesel Tie Rod supports and Manifold, Trippin Pickup, Cognito Braces, FuzzyDice.

McRat's toy-2005 GMC "Casper 2" 2500HD 4wd Xcab SB Mike L. LLY 2 trans, McRat tuning 10.59 @ 128.9

Old 02-10-2008, 06:42 PM
That's better

Ya really looks good!
I was actually showing some one the website today

Thanks for the advice on the dipstick,That was a PIA for me when swapping turbos
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/transdipstick.htm
SOLD
05 CC/LB 4X4
SOLD
Abby 01 RC/LB 10.28@144mph
SOLD
Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Now with less _

Sweet
The world isn't always listening
Disappear
Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Horsepower Addict

I do not see one for the Allison trans, but it seems to have the same lower seal as the Th400. Worst case I can use one of those & re-mark the Full/Add lines to match the stock stick.

Managed to get it on the frame without a single scratch in spite of the 50mph winds we had today. Covered the frame with blankets just in case.

4 of us carried it about 100ft from 1 garage to the other while the 10 degree winds tried to freeze us.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
That's better

Quote:
I do not see one for the Allison trans, but it seems to have the same lower seal as the Th400. Worst case I can use one of those & re-mark the Full/Add lines to match the stock stick.

FYI They will make them Lonnie
SOLD
05 CC/LB 4X4
SOLD
SOLD
Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Hotrodder

lonnie the project looks awsome so far. looking forward to seeing it completed since I have a 79 chevy I was toying with the idea of doing the same thing. only difference is mine is a short bed half ton but I have HD axles for the truck since its lifted. if I find a donor truck I can get motor trans and T case from i'm definately more inclined to follow through with the project now. congrats on the work you have completed so far. looks top notch
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Horsepower Addict

Simon,
Cool..... I definitely need one. Do you want me to provide them dimensions? I'll need one very soon.

Tinman,
Thanks for the compliments. The swap is turning out to be a large amount of work, but I believe it will be a very good swap once done. The hardest part is determining how much of the swap you want to go through with.

Using the stock transfercase (with an adapter) would make it much easier since the normal style Chevy truck front axles will still work instead of using a Ford front axle. You will probably need a 3" body lift to clear the transfercase linkage.

Keep in mind the stock 8.5" 10 bolt or a d44 front will not live under hard usage, nor will a 10 of 12 bolt 1/2 ton rear. I broke all of them with a 427 big block, so the Duramax will definitely shorten their life.

The frame will need some crossmember mods as the one under the engine will not work without modification.

I am using the '05 dash & column which adds to the troubles. The older stock dash would work with custom gauges, but that is not too bad as I've seen a few of these before.

Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie; 02-11-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Hotrodder

damn. I took the body lift out cause I hated it. but I want to use motor to T case from the D max and also try to graft in the dash for the D max. I was thinking it might be possible to cut the fronts off the cabs and attach the firewall and dash from teh D max donor into the 79 cab. just a pipe dream for me at this point. need some funds and a donor truck . maybe some day.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Horsepower Addict

Simon,
Any word on the trans dip sticks? I definitely do not have room for the stock one.... too bad I spent so much time painting it.

I posted 30 more pictures in the engine & body section of my site below. I'm finally running out of things to paint.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
That's better

Quote:
Simon,
Any word on the trans dip sticks? I definitely do not have room for the stock one.... too bad I spent so much time painting it.

Sorry Lonnie I dont get phone service where im currently working
SOLD
05 CC/LB 4X4
SOLD
SOLD
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Hotrodder

Lonnie, I think I'm about to take the plunge and do this same conversoin except not a show truck... just a DMax in an older square body Chevy for truck pulling...

Anyways, I've got a few questions I was wondering if maybe you could help me answer...

Q1) Do you have a complete donor vehicle? If so, where do you recommend a fella look for one at? If not, what are the essential components I will need? For instance, do I really need the ignition switch or BCM or gauge cluster, etc. or can I get away with just the ECM, engine wiring harness, TCM and corresponding wiring harness? Bare bones to get the thing to run properly is what I'm looking for incase I can't find a good donor cheap enough.

Q2) What to do about the fuse box(es)? Get one from Duramax vehicle or utilize the old one?

Q3) What kind of brake system?

Q4) How to get the old power steering setup to work with the duramax?

Q5) Location of engine in frame... is it forward, back, up or down in any direction from stock GM gasser engine? If yes, which way(s) did you move it? What did you do about engine mounts?

Q6) Any frame clearancing for fit? If so, where? Any pics?

Q7) How about body lift/fire wall clearance/trans. tunnel clearance? If so, how much? How much room is there between charger and firewall and between allison and trans. tunnel?

Q8) What about transmission crossmembers? What are you doing for this?

Q9) What are you doing for transfer case and front end? How you hooking to the Allison?

Sorry for the bombardment. I'm a little excited but do have a LOT of questions... This will be a VERY slow process but hopefully get started soon enough with the purchase of the truck.

Thanks for any and all help. If you would rather PM me the answers rather than clutter up your "build thread" that is perfectly fine also.

SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Hotrodder

Couple more things I thought about...

Q1A) What to do about the OBDII port?

Q2A) What are you gonna do about the gauges/dash cluster?