Duramax Diesels Forum

Duramax Diesels Forum (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/index.php)
-   Towing (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Info: Something I've noticed (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77876)

77cruiser 10-19-2017 08:08 PM

Something I've noticed
 
I've noticed a lot of people pull in after running down the Interstate pulling a big trailer & just turn it off like a gasser.
I'd guess they're flirting with turbo failure down the road.
How many give it a few minutes to cool down?

Columbus450 10-19-2017 08:27 PM

I sure do ! I'm sure most of the tuner guys are smart enough to do the same, regular driving I let it cool off at idle three minutes

Pulling a heavy load off the highway let it cool off 5 to 10 minutes
And I always hit the idle switch when I let mine cool down so the cylinders don't get washed out overtime


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiwilml 10-19-2017 08:51 PM

I don't worry about it with my new truck but on my lml with fixed vane charger I tried to let it cool before shut down..

1TRIKHD 10-19-2017 09:02 PM

I have a turbo timer that's hooked up to my cts. I can set it for a certain time or a certain egt temp.

Chevy1925 10-19-2017 09:18 PM

By the time Iím coming to a stop anywhere, even a rest stop, the egts have dropped to 350-400* and it ainít an issue. If I leave it running, itís to keep the dog cool in the truck lol.

Ihi was rebuilt about 20k ago and Russ said he didnít see anything worrying. 215k on the truck now. So I am ďthat guyĒ but itís not a problem if gauges show things are already cool

lutzjk913 10-20-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy1925 (Post 1082627)
By the time Iím coming to a stop anywhere, even a rest stop, the egts have dropped to 350-400* and it ainít an issue. If I leave it running, itís to keep the dog cool in the truck lol.

Ihi was rebuilt about 20k ago and Russ said he didnít see anything worrying. 215k on the truck now. So I am ďthat guyĒ but itís not a problem if gauges show things are already cool

Same here.

By the time I'm ready to get out and shut it off the egts are usually below 400 anyways

OregonDMAX 10-20-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutzjk913 (Post 1082633)
Same here.

By the time I'm ready to get out and shut it off the egts are usually below 400 anyways

Same, as long as my egt's are below 400 i shut it down. If they aren't it's only a few seconds to get there.

Hambone 10-20-2017 05:46 AM

The real question is who let's there trucks warm up:D

Awenta 10-20-2017 05:51 AM

Same here. About 10 seconds is enough.

I usually let it warm up a little bit then keep it under 2k until itís warmed up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMAXchris 10-20-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77cruiser (Post 1082621)
I've noticed a lot of people pull in after running down the Interstate pulling a big trailer & just turn it off like a gasser.
I'd guess they're flirting with turbo failure down the road.
How many give it a few minutes to cool down?

Water cooled turbos donít need cool down time to prevent oil coking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 1082643)
The real question is who let's there trucks warm up:D

I have to in the winter. Not having a vvt makes getting up to temp take longer than normal.

WVRigrat05 10-20-2017 06:24 AM

Mine warms up 10-20 minutes unless I’m in a hurry, hate a cold vehicle, as far as cooling down, I don’t run gauges and I don’t worry about it, usually isn’t an issue.

SickLL7Crenshaw 10-20-2017 06:31 AM

My LMM with a stock turbo I turn it off when I stop (if it was that big of an issue GM would have put a turbo timer in from factory). My LB7 with the 69sxe, by the time I stop it's at 400 like everyone else has said. I let the LMM idle for about 2-3 min then get in it and drive when it's cold out.

77cruiser 10-20-2017 06:50 AM

I take it 400 deg. exhaust temp is a good number.
Is the turbo on a LB7 water cooled?

Chevy1925 10-20-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 1082643)
The real question is who let's there trucks warm up:D

if its 60* or colder out, you are damn right but just cause i want the heater going. 60* is cold for an arizonian :roflmao::roflmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77cruiser (Post 1082653)
I take it 400 deg. exhaust temp is a good number.
Is the turbo on a LB7 water cooled?

400* and cooler is a good number to go by. generally idle is around 300-350* at the coolest no matter how long it idles. yes, the stock IHI is water cooled, all factory GM duramax turbos are water cooled.

Dozerboy 10-20-2017 07:35 AM

Unless you just got done running the truck very hard and shut it down your not going to cook the oil. I don't know that I trust the EGR gauge to go by. The turbo could easily be hotter.

We have a lot of idiots that work for us and they shut down hot equipment all the time. They don't even wait for the engine to idle down. So it going from hot and WOT to off and we're not having turbo issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors