Duramax Diesels Forum

Duramax Diesels Forum (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/index.php)
-   Repower / Transplant (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   LML Marine swap (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64358)

Hawk 40 09-04-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfLLY (Post 941454)
With good tuning, in a marine load condition, you'll be in boost low in the rpm band.

Are you worried about low end boost?

Not really, turbo lag was not too bad on the one heavy duramax boat I've been on. But thought it would be nice to eliminate the hot turbos and simplify the intercooler and exhaust plumbing

NC-smokinlmm 09-04-2015 08:00 PM

I agree with everyone else, dont load the crank anymore with the superchargers. The vvt turbos can build boost almost instantly with the right tuning. Have you looked at what the mainstream marinized duramaxs are running? My buddy sells them if you want some specs...

kidturbo 11-13-2015 01:42 AM

Hawk, I finished up work tonight mapping out all the gauge related CAN data off my "exstreamly generous" buddies LMM truck. Now have everything "digital" engine related to make plug-N-play gauges on future marine or specialty swaps. Converting all that GMLAN engine data into NEMA 2k or industrial J1939 protocol as needed.

Think I ended up pulling every major sensor plug on my buddies [perfectly running and driving] 08 truck to capture and scale values from fuel levels, temps, oil pressure, and so on. But the hard parts done, now off to programming a gateway and shooting it out for testing on Dave's boat with a Simrad display in CA.

Note To Self; when scaling rail pressure sensor values using a POTs again, first disconnect the FRP so it doesn't bottom out the slider thus sticking it .. Freaking out your buddy, and causing a sleepless night thinking about 4hrs changing a regulator your stupidity screwed up... Luckily the spring in the FPR pushed the slider back up the bore and out of the sticky zone after setting overnight..
:cussing:

I'll post details on what PIDs and PGN's we can convert to/from in a new thread shortly. For now, get them puppies mounted in that boat. I'm really needing a ride.

Cheers

-K

PS, Andy shot me an image of that Mercuiser seawater pump bracket from my old build that I can recreate in Solidworks. I'll send you the dwg files directly, or can get a pair waterjet cut within a week if you still need them.

Hawk 40 11-15-2015 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I've got a good window to get things wrapped up now, I don't have to be anywhere but here till April and Will says he can put em in the boat right after thanksgiving.

Can any of you lml guys tell me what this hole/fitting is at the far right of the picture is?
All I remember is that it had a black pipe in it, like a vent return line or something

NC-smokinlmm 11-15-2015 11:47 AM

Is that off the head?

clrussell 11-15-2015 11:53 AM

Oil drain hole for the turbo if that's the rear valley of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfLLY 11-15-2015 12:55 PM

That's what I was thinking^

NC-smokinlmm 11-15-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clrussell (Post 957781)
Oil drain hole for the turbo if that's the rear valley of the engine.

I think your right on russell.

MAXX IT OUT 11-15-2015 02:49 PM

The hole with the paper towels? The hole with the black is the turbo oil drain, not sure on the other hole though.

clrussell 11-15-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXX IT OUT (Post 957816)
The hole with the paper towels? The hole with the black is the turbo oil drain, not sure on the other hole though.

I didn't see the paper towels... Pretty sure that's coolant for heater hose

Hawk 40 11-15-2015 05:08 PM

Port for EGR coolant according to KidTurbo

delong_1 11-15-2015 07:24 PM

It can be capped it's for the egr

kidturbo 11-16-2015 01:18 AM

I looked through a dozen GM drawings, coolant port to EGR was best I could tell. But on the LMM's it was actually lower in that cover and on the drivers side.. Humm.

I did find where the LML's have a catch can / oil separator for crankcase vents now? It drains back into the oil pan on drivers side. The LLY could have certainly used that back when I was ventilating pistons.
:spit:

So I added a nice big can after the total rebuild. See it tucked behind the oil filter. Then she never spit up a drop in over 300 running hours. Guess it worked...

http://altfuelsgroup.org/pictures/al...922_160856.jpg

Hawk 40 11-16-2015 03:40 AM

I have the EGR junk I pulled off of them in a bin, I'll lay it out and trace it back
Pretty sure it's just a coolant drain

Headless_Horseman 11-16-2015 04:01 AM

Awesome build Hawk, that boat will be a Beast on the water!

Pardon me though on interjecting a question to the group. I thought the purpose of the AF cam was to correct the harmonics that create the problem that breaks the cranks? If the harmonics are corrected with the SoCal AF Cam in each of these motors then what would the issue of strapping a supercharger on it? Just asking this for learning purposes for everyone that said hmmm during that debate. Thanks.