L5P Weakest Links

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm surprised Wagler didn't jump on board for that.

I wonder if D&J would do it? I know they made the very limited runs for Dustin Mintern where he copied the CP hybrid setup but used D&J rods, D&J FSR pistons, total seal rings, and trend pins.

Either one will but the minimums usually pose an issue.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'll try and reach out to Dustin about what he's learned so far.

To me, it comes down to cost to bring each model up to 800hp marinized standard. If changing pistons only, not a big deal. If changing piston and rods, well I know what combo works best there. And last I knew, Wagler ended up with what was the Howard's H-beam dies to those pressurized pin rods I prefer.

So it's down to how much gain the heads make, and reliability factor. Has to outweigh the cost of just adding a good crank...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We talked to Wagler and agreed to their minimum 10 set order, but we still got nowhere with them.
I didn't know you guys committed to the minimum order. I can't say I am surprised tho, Wagler's customer support is usually pretty awful even to dealers in my experience which is unfortunate.

I'll try and reach out to Dustin about what he's learned so far.

To me, it comes down to cost to bring each model up to 800hp marinized standard. If changing pistons only, not a big deal. If changing piston and rods, well I know what combo works best there. And last I knew, Wagler ended up with what was the Howard's H-beam dies to those pressurized pin rods I prefer.

So it's down to how much gain the heads make, and reliability factor. Has to outweigh the cost of just adding a good crank...

They're my favorite connecting rod for sure. If I had known exactly how great they were they would be on my shelf and not in an 800whp engine haha.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We talked to Wagler and agreed to their minimum 10 set order, but we still got nowhere with them.

Yeah that’s kinda what mean. Either they put long waits in them, jack the price way up, don’t call back/follow up, or a natural disaster occurs lol

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
They're my favorite connecting rod for sure. If I had known exactly how great they were they would be on my shelf and not in an 800whp engine haha.

Yeah I love those rods too. At first I questioned em because they sent me bearings that were drilled in the wrong location. But once Custis explained to me why they have a groove cut under the bearing, which allow the crank passage to send pressurized oil to pin as rod is traveling downward only, i was sold. So far, so good, and no premature wrist pin wear as first noted in his marine applications. I confirmed his findings on the OG PPE engine.

As for pistons, here is a fresh example of why big trucks and marine use steel. Jake Brake out of adjustment on my buddies C15 kitty, and this is second exhaust valve drop in past 3000 miles. First one didn't fall out the guide. This one however, guess I'll grind thar notch out the bowl for him..lol
a42117769299eecdc2e4dd5a91feaae0.jpg
fd673809af42ecabce922f683aabac3b.jpg

Reactions: Hoser

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh hell, just run that. :LOL:

Im more surprised the valve is in that condition. Usually they break up into little pieces.

Reactions: kidturbo

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you have a driver that cares and shuts it down quickly, damage can be minimized. My experience was quite different with steel piston ISX, that thing starts swinging around and the only thing holding it together is the head after its all done

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Someone donate me an engine so I can start measuring....
I knew that Howards rods comment would get your attention... :giggle:

My main R&D backer recently passed away very unexpectedly. So latest upgrades to the twins is currently on hold while his family sorts things out. Reason I haven't posted any updates on that for a while. But since he would be all in on doing a proper marinized L5P build, I kinda owe it to him to push things forward where I can. David really had the drive and passion to see a 1000hp sub-7Ltr marine package through to the end. Even when most would have given up about 3 or 4 new GMC Denali's ago.. Yet today his two set darn close to perfection. Our current short block combo is rock sold in my book. Just remains a bit pricey for the non-insane engine buyers. And while Banks has mentioned doing a marine build, he still hold the only 16 monotherm pistons in existence on a shelf. Since the LBZ was released..

I had two complete L5P engines setting in a box ready to go six months back. But they are long are gone now. So somebody please get this man a engine to hack on.. The rest I can deal with. Lifter issue done been solved by the LS gurus I'm told. And unless someone shows me a broken crank picture, I'm ready to see one spinning 6000R's lit up on the dyno.

Reactions: corneredge

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Someone donate me an engine so I can start measuring....

I knew that Howards rods comment would get your attention... :giggle:

My main R&D backer recently passed away very unexpectedly. So latest upgrades to the twins is currently on hold while his family sorts things out. Reason I haven't posted any updates on that for a while. But since he would be all in on doing a proper marinized L5P build, I kinda owe it to him to push things forward where I can. David really had the drive and passion to see a 1000hp sub-7Ltr marine package through to the end. Even when most would have given up about 3 or 4 new GMC Denali's ago.. Yet today his two set darn close to perfection. Our current short block combo is rock sold in my book. Just remains a bit pricey for the non-insane engine buyers. And while Banks has mentioned doing a marine build, he still hold the only 16 monotherm pistons in existence on a shelf. Since the LBZ was released..

I had two complete L5P engines setting in a box ready to go six months back. But they are long are gone now. So somebody please get this man a engine to hack on.. The rest I can deal with. Lifter issue done been solved by the LS gurus I'm told. And unless someone shows me a broken crank picture, I'm ready to see one spinning 6000R's lit up on the dyno.
@JoshH , do you have any available that Fathead has killed?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Probably link bars like Johnson's
Hear they are also running journal bearings rather than needles with good success.

Came from my GM tech buddy, who before leaving to play with electric vehicles, actually replaced some failed lifters in L5P. Said new style setup looked straight outa of an LS to him.. So check the bore diameter, and shop around was his suggestion...

Link for educational purpose only..

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't know about Morel, but I do know the Johnsons have axle oiling like the original duramax lifters or at least like my LBZ lifters do.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't know the spec on the L5p lifter but if it is the same as an LS lifter.

Just a heads up. If they are the same O.D. Katech has a special batch of Johnson lifters that hold a tighter tolerance on the O.D.

They do this to maintain consistent oil pressure. All blocks should be checked for size in the lifter bore. Some require a little amount of attention if they are tight.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do the L5Ps use plastic lifter trays like the LS engines do?
They do, but they aren't the same part. They are specific to the L5P
Hear they are also running journal bearings rather than needles with good success.

Came from my GM tech buddy, who before leaving to play with electric vehicles, actually replaced some failed lifters in L5P. Said new style setup looked straight outa of an LS to him.. So check the bore diameter, and shop around was his suggestion...

Link for educational purpose only..

They are similar in that they use a tray to align the lifters and they are both roller style, but the bodies are a different diameter and the L5P lifter is solid rather than hydraulic.