P2563 and P003A

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Got a P2563 code and a P003A code with the latter coming intermittently. Working theory is that the solenoid is getting stuck. Trucks oil was changed for the first time in 2 or 3 years last Monday and then 4 days later it went off. Code came back on Sunday and then just went off again today. I am going to try some stiction eliminator as well as clean the solenoid tomorrow. Here is a video of the actual vs commanded vane positions.
Source: https://youtu.be/TUeSsXV833o

I also have a P2510 but it says diagnose all other codes before that one so I am doing these first.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The truck is pissed off about commanding 78 and being at 0... So either its sticking or the solenoid is failing. It's an electrical solenoid after all...

LBZ vane issue.jpg

Here is another shot of it commanding 2 and being at 3.

LBZ vane issue 2.jpg

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I figured that might have possibly just been the scanner being slow but yes you are probably correct. Thanks brick, we'll see what I find tomorrow with the solenoid.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
No idea how I would pull this solenoid without the EGR cooler out of the way. I guess maybe move the oil line over? I don't know if it spins though.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Buy the oil feed line banjo gasket and move it out of the way. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a swivel as an extension. Stuff a rag under the bolt working area so if you drop the bolt it won't go into the valley. When re-installing, tape the bolt to the socket and install.
I did this all with the EGR installed . Took about an hour.

Reactions: turbovan

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Have not had a chance to pull the solenoid out to clean it yet. I actually plan on pulling the egr system out to clean it out since who knows how much gunk and shit is in there and when I do that I will pull the turbo and clean it and rebuild it.

I did add stiction eliminator and it seemed to do something but it could be mind tricks. How it goes now is I will have a CEL for about 150 miles and then it will go out for 150 miles and then come back. I think I may start clearing the codes just because and keeping a little better track of it.

Anyway pulling the EGR for cleaning probably won't be for another 2 months or so so I am just gonna have to live with it :)

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Also I just made a realization thanks to @1FastBrick
1666190431191.png

Take a look at this photo. Do you see how the TC VPS is at 0% where the commanded TC vane position is at 78? Well the solenoid has somehow gone to 0.0 amps meaning I guess it lost power. So am I looking at a bad solenoid or a wiring gremlin from hell?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Solenoid's can fail. They are an Electrical item.

You would have to back probe the plug to check the voltage it's commanding under different loads as you drive. Especially when its commanding a check engine light.

This is where a scope is handy with long leads as you can log that stuff and review what is happening. Then you can compare it with the scanner data.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I want a scope but don't have one :(

For some reason I cannot check the freeze frames for this for when the CEL goes off with my autel. Kind of weird.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Actually I do have a scope!
Couldn't I just hook up a voltmeter to the leads and then use that instead of a scope? Put a camera on both the voltmeter and the scanner and see what happens?

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Actually I do have a scope!
Couldn't I just hook up a voltmeter to the leads and then use that instead of a scope? Put a camera on both the voltmeter and the scanner and see what happens?
You could... I guess that would be like the low buck DIY way... lol

Also I hear if you have OEM floor mats it will help with the situation.... 🙈
(Inside Joke) Couldn't resist....

• Haha
Reactions: shakenfake

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRw0b5EzNHE&t=242s

So in the video I posted above you can watch and see how the vanes should look driving around and commanded etc. Mine look great it seems but if you go to 7:32 you can see that he turns desired to 0 and then the VPS goes to 0, amperage is still at .20 though. I will inspect the harness first because I have some photos of where I should look. What is RockAuto's policy on returning used shit lol

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I checked through the wiring harness last night and I don't see anything that would make me suspicious of a wiring fault. I did not get all the wiring harness visible though since I believe it runs underneath the resonator and I didn't have time to take it off. I also drove the exact same route I did when I caught the gremlin last time and could not replicate the issue.

The only solenoids I can find are no name brands on Amazon and eBay. I also see Dorman but Dorman makes me shudder. I MIGHT be able to get a known good one and swap it and see what happens. My girlfriend's dad is a diesel mechanic and does a lot of Powerstrokes so I may be able to pull one and swap it.
Standard Motor Products has two part numbers for this on RockAuto TBA1 and R75002, no idea the difference. I was looking under a 6.0 Powerstroke, the LBZ has a way worse selection even though it is the same.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Forgot one more thing.
I double checked and I do have a "freeze frame" for the codes and it will be when I first turn the truck on. I've attached the photo below. It is always right on start up 0:00:00 for running time. It won't tell me the amps or anything like that though. That is for the P2563, it is exactly the same for P003A except it will be at slightly higher idle but same running time. You can see how the desired position is 80% and the VPS is reading 62%.

img_4575-jpg.951046

It's very weird and very random but I think it still points at the solenoid.