What did you do to your home/shop today?

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Same

Shop is all new. 40x60 as well.

Finishing the house up before we do electric in the barn

What lights are you going with?
Actually went 40x72x16 on the barn.

So far I have installed only one of these lights just to try and pass the electrical inspection. Most likely will end up with (8) of them;1654600124973.png

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OOhhh light talk for shops, good topic! been trying to figure out what to do in mine.

Im still at dirt pad phase. building is sitting on the side of the house, dirt pad has had the green light for a month, people are ready to go but we cannot get fricken concrete... :rolleyes:

VjuL5qe.jpg

nLHrZqm.jpg

the little kubota did great till it was time for ripping and soaking lol. wound up having a buddy bring a big ass gannon in so we could pull the dirt back, soak, fold back in and work it, then soak for the night. next day we ripped the top 10" and soaked, then compacted.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Nice work James! Fortunately concrete hasn't been an issue here. We were well on our way to getting the floor poured, until the deal with the township ordinance. If all goes well at the planning commission meeting, we should have the floor down in early July.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice work James! Fortunately concrete hasn't been an issue here. We were well on our way to getting the floor poured, until the deal with the township ordinance. If all goes well at the planning commission meeting, we should have the floor down in early July.

Whats the issue the town has with the building? They legit think you are growing something in there?

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Since we are posting pics. 😂

Attachments

• 718BE606-E0C6-4DA0-A41B-5CA4FC4178CE.jpeg
    718BE606-E0C6-4DA0-A41B-5CA4FC4178CE.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CB642DA2-2656-4C68-9867-D05C28A30A2D.jpeg
    CB642DA2-2656-4C68-9867-D05C28A30A2D.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 7
  • 8249A71D-66E1-4964-9CF7-01CFB4A2EF0C.jpeg
    8249A71D-66E1-4964-9CF7-01CFB4A2EF0C.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: 036.6turbo

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’m leaning towards 8 of these now

if you are thinking of getting something from them, maybe look into these as an alternative

4x would be brighter and cost less. plus if any go out you don't loose a large area of light and it's only $25 to replace. of course you would have to install more sockets but I think the cost savings of the lights would more then make up for it. and as a bonus you can set the angle of the lights on each fixture too

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
X2 on the folding lights, I’m slowly converting my shop to this type. They can be focused on changing work areas or flood for a large area.
Best of all, many companies make them and they are always on sale for cyber Monday etc…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Whats the issue the town has with the building? They legit think you are growing something in there?
They want me to prove I'm not.

Michigan's Medical marijuana laws left loopholes. If you have a medical weed card, you can legally grow, but do not have prove that you consume everything that you grow. So people get cards, grow as much as they can, then sell it to the recreational dispensaries at a profit. State legislature won't close the loopholes, so the township enacts these ordinances. When I applied for the electrical capacity waiver, I had to sign a document stating they can inspect my property if they wish.

So if one of my neighbors complains that they smell weed, the township has the right to look in my shop.

What chapped my ass was the timing.

Electrical service to the house (400amp meter can, 200 for the house and 200 for the shop) was green tagged 12/21.

House rough electrical was tagged green 2/22.

They passed this ordinance 3/22, then red tagged my shop on 4/22.

They're not targeting me specifically, I just got lucky to fall in the mess.
I’m leaning towards 8 of these now

Very similar to what I bought but cheaper, thanks, I'll check those out.
Since we are posting pics. 😂
Nice!
if you are thinking of getting something from them, maybe look into these as an alternative

4x would be brighter and cost less. plus if any go out you don't loose a large area of light and it's only $25 to replace. of course you would have to install more sockets but I think the cost savings of the lights would more then make up for it. and as a bonus you can set the angle of the lights on each fixture too
Great option as well.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, the ordinance should not have been applied retroactively to your property, since you h ad already passed inspections.

Reactions: 2004LB7

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
IMO, the ordinance should not have been applied retroactively to your property, since you h ad already passed inspections.
Pretty much what I said, they did not agree. What's that old saying? "You can't fight city hall?"

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Through this process, you meet a lot of inspectors and contractors. A few of them have told me the serious growers are not on the grid anyway. They consume so much power they prefer to stay off of the grid. I guess they just line up (4) or (5) LP pigs, get a 12kw or 20kw propane genset and run everything off of propane.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thats so dumb. atleast it will be an easy pass for you. Ive had nothing but month to 2 month delays. initially started with a building that would take 24 weeks to mfg before it was in my hands (steel building). Ordered in Oct of 21, then showed up March of 22. Before that, we applied for the permit through county to have the building in Nov, they came back in Dec saying i needed to be 18" higher than the highest elevation 10ft out of the building location. The backyard has a slope so that would have put my south east corner at 5ft high (the height of my damn fence) and cost about 20k in dirt. So had a G&D done mid dec and was told 3-4 weeks. that turned into 9 weeks :mad:. County was originally 1 week for a re-submittal back in Dec, by time i got the G&D, they were up to 3 weeks for re-submittals. So waited on that. finally at the beginning of April, county gave the permit to me and i could start dirt work. Took me about 3 weeks of working off and on after work and weekends, that was alot of dirt to move for that little l3800 lol. didnt help i hit celiche at one point too. Thats when i realized id never get the water into the dirt quick enough with the tractor and called up a buddy to quote me on finishing it. He said "na f**k that, you pay for the rental im getting for it and ill do the rest, just find a 4k or more water truck". We had another 3 weeks down time before he could get a tractor out there finally (so now we are in May) and then my compaction test company i was using had a run of covid through them so another week of waiting on them to do the compaction test. Finally get all that done and thats when the building guys are telling me concrete is going to be an issue.... f**k me....

i told Erin, id be lucky if the shop is up and done by Oct of this year, 1 year later at the rate shits going. The plus side, there is no electrical or plumbing "on the plans" so once its all up and doors on, easy green tag and ill finish the rest of it. im not looking forward to buying all the electrical cable...

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, my issues are small potatoes compared to that. Shop at least has power now, even though the tag is red. Concrete should be in soon after I clear the planning commission.

Reactions: Chevy1925

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
With lighting more fixtures are your friend. More fixtures help prevent dark spots in and around things parked in the building, plus if you loose one, the hole it leaves in the lighting is much less.

just my though on the lighting thing.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
looks good for now. probably should have used a urethane based product. I would have used polyurea. my experience will tell me even with a UV resistant top coat it will still noticably start to "yellow" (actually more green) within a few months if exposed to constant sun. we always had problems right at the doorways that lead to the outside. there was always a noticeable area a few feet in that turned greenish. one year was enough to make the epoxy change to the point that it made the color under hard to see. any area that was exposed we would normally use polyuria or polyaspartic.

if you have a Sherwin Williams near, I'd ask them for some GP4844A01 & GP4844B01. UV resistant, high and low temperature tolerance, good impact toughness and excellent chemical resistance. only issue is it cures really fast so if you are not experienced then it can be a mess to use. data sheet will tell you that you can't go more then 15 mills but we successfully used it at more then 100 mills with no issues. a few oz. of Sherwin Williams reducer 132 also helps the flow and extended the working time a little. but since you've already finished this is probably moot. but maybe for next time or if you get the itch to redo it